Report: Bears to part ways with Brandon Marshall

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Marshall is a beastttttttttt. If he's willing to sacrifice some catches for wins, bring him in!!

Hawkspur

Reaction score
kidhawk":1l6oydik said:
Currently the Bears are on the hook for over $13 million in dead money if they release him. If they trade him, then they will only have to eat $5.625 million. His Current 2015 salary of $7.5 million is guaranteed. I would think that they would trade him away for a song and a dance for any team willing to take on his contract. If we did, we'd have to eat the $7.5 million of this year but after that there'd be absolutely zero consequence for releasing him. This works well for us, because even though we need to extend guys like Wagner and Wilson, they the only bit of cap space they'd eat up would be a pro-rated portion of their signing bonus, leaving quite a bit of cap space to work with this season. That $7.5 million wouldn't be that bad considering that fact along with the fact that we could then release him after the season with no cap worries.

Of course Marshall may want a new contract if he's traded, and the Bears may not find any willing trade partners. Under that scenario, the Bears would release him and still pay him for 2015.

I'm on the fence about Marshall on a personality level, but talent level is undeniable and he does fit the type of receiver we sorely miss with Rice gone.

I was about to enquire about the $$... so thanks, good job.

While it would be preferable to bring him in as an FA on a longer deal at less than $7.5m per, I'd be delighted if they managed to add Marshall, even if for only a season. Receiver is a notoriously difficult position to learn to play in the pros so they could even look at signing Marshall for a year and drafting a tall WR in the first few rounds to essentially redshirt.

I think that the FO has (wisely) invested heavily in maintaining the stellar defense and that offense will likely be a bit of a juggling act for the next few seasons. Getting high quality rentals might be an option while waiting for draft picks to develop, but then again, $7.5m may well be too steep.

Jville

Reaction score
Largent80":knncsmts said:
RolandDeschain":knncsmts said:
Just say NO to expensive WRs until/unless we become a more pass-oriented offense.

When Lynch retires, we may change schemes.
From this weeks press conference .......................
The Seahawks led the NFL in rushing by a country mile this year -- their 2,762 yards on the ground was over 400 yards better than the next best team in Dallas and nearly 500 yards more than the third place Jets. Seattle's run game this year was the NFL's most prolific since the 2006 Falcons ran for 2,939 yards. ..........................................
..................... "It's a commitment," said Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell on Tuesday. "It's something that we're totally committed to. I know Tom [Cable]'s always been committed where he's been*. I've been committed to it where I've been. You can look at the numbers where we've been. I mean it's our commitment -- something we believe in. The cool part is that Coach Carroll believes in it also. So it blends our philosophies -- all three of us together."
[urltargetblank]http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/8/7507179/nfl-playoffs-seahawks-panthers-russell-wilson-cam-newton-marshawn-lynch[/urltargetblank]

zifnab32

Reaction score
pehawk":19q20pw3 said:
It came out last week that the Seahawks we're talking to Steve Smith this past offseason. So, they don't share the sentiment here about not needing a true #1. Pete's always dug the guy too. They'll definitely sniff around.

I'd love this move.

Oh my god I'm picturing Steve Smith and Percy Harvin in the same locker room, pretty sure Harvin would have lost his head

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":hm8rwf68 said:
Currently the Bears are on the hook for over $13 million in dead money if they release him. If they trade him, then they will only have to eat $5.625 million. His Current 2015 salary of $7.5 million is guaranteed. I would think that they would trade him away for a song and a dance for any team willing to take on his contract. If we did, we'd have to eat the $7.5 million of this year but after that there'd be absolutely zero consequence for releasing him. This works well for us, because even though we need to extend guys like Wagner and Wilson, they the only bit of cap space they'd eat up would be a pro-rated portion of their signing bonus, leaving quite a bit of cap space to work with this season. That $7.5 million wouldn't be that bad considering that fact along with the fact that we could then release him after the season with no cap worries.

Of course Marshall may want a new contract if he's traded, and the Bears may not find any willing trade partners. Under that scenario, the Bears would release him and still pay him for 2015.

I'm on the fence about Marshall on a personality level, but talent level is undeniable and he does fit the type of receiver we sorely miss with Rice gone.

I don't think that's right, there shouldn't be a difference whether he's traded or not. I've seen his 2015 salary is $9.575m and that the base salary of $7.5m is guaranteed only if he's on the roster on the 3rd day of the league season. Cutting or trading him should only mean they eat up $5.625m in dead money (the unpaid signing bonus spread across the three remaining years of his contract at $1.875m).

http://overthecap.com/player/brandon-marshall/106/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... hall-deal/

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1ybxs7ri said:
kidhawk":1ybxs7ri said:

I don't think that's right, there shouldn't be a difference whether he's traded or not. I've seen his 2015 salary is $9.575m and that the base salary of $7.5m is guaranteed only if he's on the roster on the 3rd day of the league season. Cutting or trading him should only mean they eat up $5.625m in dead money (the unpaid signing bonus spread across the three remaining years of his contract at $1.875m).

http://overthecap.com/player/brandon-marshall/106/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... hall-deal/

Looks like the numbers on spotrac are wrong. They have $22.3 million fully guaranteed, when only $14.8 million is guaranteed with the other $7.5 million only guaranteed after the third day of the 2015 league year. $5.625 million in dead money vs. $13.125.

Hawks46

Reaction score
endzorn":38m5ntiu said:
I'm not saying Schneider should break the bank, but Marshall on this team would be absolutely deadly. Read the quotes from Marshall, everything that people claim makes him a locker room problem. He doesn't set out to tear the team apart, he talks about accountability and a desire to win. He has an extensive history with the law and I know a lot of people want nothing to do with that, but he finally addressed the issue and I'd love him here. If he wants to take less to play for a team with this talent then waste no time.

Yup, I agree with this. THe issues that plagued him earlier in his career have been diagnosed and addressed. Don't know if he's on medication, but I didn't hear anything about him blowing up or throwing fits this year.

Marshall's problem is the opposite of Lynch's. He's honest to a fault, and his "cancer" issues seem to stem from him unintentionally throwing team mates under the bus when he's trying to talk about accountability.

From a football stand point, he'd just be huge here. With him on the squad, and Lynch getting to be a year older and slightly more beat up, I could see us passing more. Just a bit.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1g0xr6cw said:
Just say NO to expensive WRs until/unless we become a more pass-oriented offense.

We need an expensive WR to become a more pass-oriented offense.

Those saying Marshall wouldn't like two catches per game...might his presence encourage Wilson to throw more? Just something to think about.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Given the HAwks offensive philosophy, they have to be EXTREMELY careful about the kinds of players they bring into the mix at WR. I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble on Brandon Marshall as a fit despite his obvious skills.

Now Larry Fitzgerald, on the other hand, I like that fit a LOT better, even though he's probably not as good at this point in his career.

vonstout

Reaction score
I live near Madison, WI and work in Rockford, IL, so I see a lot of Bears and Packer games and hear about both teams on sports radio. I wouldn't want Marshall if he played for free. He has great talent, but Denver, Miami, and Chicago all wanted to get rid of him even though he played at a pro-bowl level for all three teams. This year he went to NY every week to do a show for NFL Network and that created a lot of problems. He is a "me" player even though he may publicly say things that would lead you to think he's not. He had a press conference this year against the Bears wishes and rambled for 45 minutes about himself when it was supposed to be about domestic violence in the NFL :

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/columnis ... ab609.html

He is not a team player. If he's not getting the ball, he's not happy even if the team wins. Let him ruin someone else's locker room.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Given the interest the Hawks had in him before (remember he was one of the very first—if not THE first—guys Pete and John brought in for a visit in 2010), I would have to think they take a good look at Marshall if he becomes available.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ei3o4oy4 said:

This. I agree we could upgrade the position but not at the expense of others that are more important to this team's philosophy.

olyfan63

Reaction score
CHawk":2ihshmoz said:
ZorntoLargent":2ihshmoz said:
CHawk":2ihshmoz said:
Bears claiming locker room cancer. Didn't we learn anything from the Percy experiment? Let's just see how our rookie receivers pan out before taking on other teams garbage.
Well documented anger issues. So well documented, the did an NFL Network It's a football life episode. "The journey of Chicago Bears Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall is one of the NFL’s great turnaround stories. During his first seasons in the NFL with the Denver Broncos and Miami Dolphins, the mercurial Marshall achieved immense on-field success, yet struggled with uncontrollable emotional outbursts and off-field issues. Yet through his diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder, Marshall has been able to couple his success on the football field with a determination and passion to make an impact in his community"

OK I understand that he has a personality disorder, why do we want to deal with it. To me it sounds like Percy.

Brandon Marshall acknowledges he has Borderline Personality Disorder and has sought help and treatment.

Percy Harvin shows all the signs and history of Borderline Personality Disorder + sociopath; the difference is that Percy has not come out and acknowledged the nature of his mental health issues.

I've written a number of posts on Percy Harvin and how his history and behavior check all the boxes for Borderline Personality Disorder. Search for my posts and "Borderline" and you'll find them. Source: Extensive personal experience with Borderlines and Narcissists (two peas in a pod), and extensive reading and research. Survived attempted intentional car crash and false rape allegations by borderline ex-girlfriend. Thankfully I got a Domestic Violence restraining order against her after the near car-crash, and the false rape allegations made 2 weeks after I'd had law enforcement remove her from my house were not credible.

I say Brandon Marshall is worth the risk to bring in. At this point, I trust Pete and John's judgment, post-Harvin. The reason being that I believe they got the full lesson on Borderlines with Harvin, and now can accurately judge if Marshall could work with this team.

Reasons why Marshall Would Be a Good Fit With Seahawks:

1) We would probably get at least one good year out of Marshall; the Borderline "playbook" is that they go from the old, "abusive" situation (old team) to a new, "healthy" situation (new team) and are on their best behavior for a honeymoon period of time. They are eager to prove that "they" are the ones who are "normal" and the old situation that was "abusive". We saw this with Harvin fitting in just fine at New York during his partial-season rental by the Jets.

2) Marshall seems much tougher than Harvin, in terms of keeping himself on the field. Marshall was on the field for 13 games this year, missing 3 games due to broken ribs. (Anyone here ever try to play NFL-level impact activity with very painful broken ribs?)

3) We never heard reports of Marshall refusing to go in games.

4) Many of the criticisms of Marshall seem to involve outside activities, not football stuff.

5) One of the criticisms is he apparently said politically incorrect stuff in a rambling 45-minute interview, on the current media hot-button issue of domestic violence. National media poopstorm stuff, but not really an impact on football performance matters. Plus he probably won't do any more interviews on that topic.

7) I have heard no reports of Marshall giving teammates black eyes in angry outbursts, or of Marshall grabbing his WR coach and tossing him to the ground.

8 ) Marshall had the courage to come forward and go public with his BPD issue. I think people don't truly understand what a big deal that is for a Borderline, and how courageous that is of him.

9) In Seattle, Marshall's body would probably last longer, given fewer overall targets, and Wilson being more accurate and not hanging him out to dry as often.

10) I think now that the team leaders have been around an obnoxious probable Borderline like Harvin, they are equipped to deal successfully with a merely annoying Borderline like Marshall. There are specific communication skills that are more effective with BPD's and probably the WR position group would learn these and it would help a lot. It's stuff like, when they say outrageous, delusional-sounding things, understand that it's an emotional reaction, not a logical statement, and find a small part of what they said you can agree with. So if Marshall said to Russell, "you're always f-ing hanging me out to dry on those slant routes, you want me to get killed!" Russell's appropriate response would be, "wow, yes, you really got clocked on that one route. Ouch!" while ignoring the "bait". Feeling listened to, and emotionally validated, the Borderline will normally then relax and release the emotion and be able to engage in a normal conversation.

11) Marshall is the kind of big, skilled, tough WR we need, the one we currently don't have, the big target.

Summary: Brandon Marshall is NO Percy Harvin. Thank GOD for that!! He's a rare Borderline who has sought help, gotten it, and made a good effort to do the necessary work on himself. Way, way better risk than Percy Harvin. Seattle should try to acquire him. We should get at least a productive one-year rental out of him, and $8M, he'd be easily worth that.

Marshall haters, please tell me if and where my points above are wrong. Really. I don't claim to know everything about Marshall's career and rap sheet.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":70fk5zkx said:
I've written a number of posts on Percy Harvin and how his history and behavior check all the boxes for Borderline Personality Disorder. Search for my posts and "Borderline" and you'll find them. Source: Extensive personal experience with Borderlines and Narcissists (two peas in a pod), and extensive reading and research. Survived attempted intentional car crash and false rape allegations by borderline ex-girlfriend. Thankfully I got a Domestic Violence restraining order against her after the near car-crash, and the false rape allegations made 2 weeks after I'd had law enforcement remove her from my house were not credible.

Restraining orders aren't much good on a football forum are they, honey? I knew it, I've missed you sugartits!

No, really, nice post. I think a lot of people are assuming all mental people are the same. There's probably a lot more guys out there with issues that we don't hear about, the only reason our attention is drawn to guys like Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall and Percy Harvin is because they've been big time players.

Brandon Marshall doesn't seem like that bad a guy, a lot of the reports of his issues seem to be born out of frustration; and for that I can't really blame him.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Brandon Marshall would solve the big red zone target issue and add a dynamic true #1 who can stretch the field and make tough catches. To me it comes down to how much he would want to be a in a run first offense and if we would lose other players already on the team (or re-signing in the future). His 'anger' seems to stem from a lack of passion and desire to win from his teammates and not being a diva, which would upset me as well. Olyfan makes some really strong points about BPD as well.

If he doesn't care about a team breaking the bank on him at this point in his career and just wants to win, Seattle is the perfect location for a WR of his skillset. Just because we run more than any other team doesn't mean he wouldn't get passes. Given the numbers Tate put up in his final season here, I don't see why he couldn't come here and get 1,000 yards with 6+ TDs on a Superbowl level team. But if he wants 12+ mil a year to ride out his career then I'm sure he could go sign with the Jets and be miserable with Percy.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Super talented WR, looking for his 4th team after 9 years? No thanks.

Yeah, those 7 consecutive 1,000+ yard seasons look good, but they've led to ZERO playoff appearances. Of course that's not all on him, but we just win and we don't need him.

marko358

Reaction score
Is it just me or did Brandon seem completely enamored with the way the Seahawks play and our organization in general the other night on Inside the NFL?

A

Anonymous

There's a reason there will be a lot of WR's on the market this year. Team's are no longer able to ignore the fact that Seattle has made it to the dance without that "true number 1" receiver the analysts say we are lacking.

If we do bring in a big-name WR FA, it'll be a tenacious, team-oriented guy with an outstanding hungry and positive attitude first, and a tall and strong guy second.