Rebuild the defense. Do you keep anyone?

Seahawker

Reaction score
We have the 3rd highest scoring offense in the NFC and the 2nd worst defense in the league, just in front of the Lions...
Who we just barely beat 45-48...
Points scored against:
Seahawks 154
Lions 170
Five games in we have (roughly) the 8th best offense & the #31st defense.
Today was one of the poorest Seahawk defensive performances I've ever seen.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Are we getting any plays at all out of the d-ends? Outside linebackers aren't much looking much better.

nwHawk

Reaction score
This defensive roster needs to be overhauled. Are there any players you keep? Right now I'd say the only ones worth keeping are Diggs, Woolen, Woods, and Maybe Uchenna. Trash the rest of them.
If I’m doing a rebuild then only Woolen, Coby, Uchenna, and Mafe. Woods is great, but he wouldn’t be around to see the almost finished product.

The rest are trash, and I put Diggs in this group simply because I think if you move away from a single high safety then I want a little bigger dude plus he’s not 100% yet and getting older. So who know what his new 100% will look like.

Reaction score
I like Woolen, Bryant, Woods, Nwosu, Mafe maybe Brooks the rest can go kick rocks. Poona looks terrible and gets paid a lot. Maybe its the change of the scheme but if we keep going with this scheme I would of cut him yesterday He does absolutely nothing. Taylor dont even get me started. That guy has regress like no other. All you heard during training camp was coaches singing his praises He looks terrible.

chrispy

Reaction score
There is some bad D play, but no one's getting cut after game 5 and none of those players are costing this team a SB in 22. It's all about growth. Every player still has 12 games to redeem themselves.

Even if their play is bad, they'll probably still end up as backups or Special Teams behind some of the 10 draft picks or FAs this off-season. Corey Barton might come in as a backup in the NFC Championship game in 24 and this playtime could be really beneficial.

They're who we've got. It's not going to change anytime soon. I hope they play better next week.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
They have those in Mone and Woods.

They're problems are at DE, and LBer. With some guys playing out of position. Also need more impact at Edge.

Scheme is also trash, and easy to read, teams carve them up with the same plays over and over, and the Seahawks sideline looks dumbfounded.
Do not you give them any credit for the poor run defense?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Never should have hired the Miami Cheat in 2017. We have had two legit players develop under him in Clark and Reed and neither of them wanted to play for him. Him getting promoted should be the nail in Carroll's coffin, when that nail should have been hammered with him retaining Norton after his first season as DC.
Those 2 players have not been much since leaving..
Norton wasn't a good DC but the one now?Ha

BASF

Reaction score
Those 2 players have not been much since leaving..
Norton wasn't a good DC but the one now?Ha
So obviously the Miami Cheat was responsible for their break out seasons here and why he is qualified to be our current DC.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Not saying he is qualified..He may be a good coach just not a DC.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Brooks and Taylor are two that have peddled as proof we've drafted better the past few years and neither look like they're worth where they went. Someone watching yesterday Brooks had his best game of the year. I hope that's true? I'm honestly at a loss on whether its the players, the coaching staff or both and both options are a knock on Pete since he is the last voice in roster construction/draft and he's the head coach.

We haven't been able to slow down two offense missing multiple key pieces of their offense the past two weeks.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Dump Ford, Harris, Barton. Keep Nwosu, Taylor, Brooks. Also need a healthy Robinson.

Fade

Reaction score
Do not you give them any credit for the poor run defense?
Not really, because if you watch the games, the Seahawks are getting gashed to the outside. Opponents are attacking the edge over and over. Runs up the gut are being held mostly in check. NTs aren't responsible for the C and D gaps.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Woods is the only one I would care about losing to be honest.

Fade

Reaction score
Brooks and Taylor are two that have peddled as proof we've drafted better the past few years and neither look like they're worth where they went. Someone watching yesterday Brooks had his best game of the year. I hope that's true? I'm honestly at a loss on whether its the players, the coaching staff or both and both options are a knock on Pete since he is the last voice in roster construction/draft and he's the head coach.

We haven't been able to slow down two offense missing multiple key pieces of their offense the past two weeks.
Adding on to this, The Seahawks haven't drafted well on defense for 5 straight seasons. 17, 18, 19, 20, 21. 22 is too early to tell yet.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
We don't hear much about leadership. KJ and Wagner and the LOB were students of the game and put in the work. Maybe these players have better things to do with their down time than master their craft.
I'm just not sure this is a DC thing as most of the problems come to simple fact of losing the 1 on 1 battles at the point of attack. The DL is being pushed around. The LB's can't get off blocks. The pass rush rarely gets pressure when rushing 4 or even 5. That's a personnel and leadership problem.

Ozzy

Reaction score
We don't hear much about leadership. KJ and Wagner and the LOB were students of the game and put in the work. Maybe these players have better things to do with their down time than master their craft.
I'm just not sure this is a DC thing as most of the problems come to simple fact of losing the 1 on 1 battles at the point of attack. The DL is being pushed around. The LB's can't get off blocks. The pass rush rarely gets pressure when rushing 4 or even 5. That's a personnel and leadership problem.
Yeah I lean towards just bad roster construction and talent evaluation.