Quarterback options for 2024

renofox

Reaction score
Don't sleep on Rattler.
If he's available with one of our 3rd rounders I'd like it. In fact, I'd be good with taking two legitimate prospects in the 3rd and keeping them both on the 53 (because of the gameday rule change) while we develop them and see if either one is a potential QBOTF.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
If he's available with one of our 3rd rounders I'd like it. In fact, I'd be good with taking two legitimate prospects in the 3rd and keeping them both on the 53 (because of the gameday rule change) while we develop them and see if either one is a potential QBOTF.
Everyone seemed to think it was insane when Washington took both RGIII and Cousins, but it was a stroke of brilliance. To do so with a couple of borderline first rounders would be epic genius. Potentially you could hit twice and have tremendous trade value from such. But if you only hit on one, so be it. The key would be not to miss on both picks.

Torc

Reaction score
Everyone seemed to think it was insane when Washington took both RGIII and Cousins, but it was a stroke of brilliance. To do so with a couple of borderline first rounders would be epic genius. Potentially you could hit twice and have tremendous trade value from such. But if you only hit on one, so be it. The key would be not to miss on both picks.
I don't think that's a stretch for Schneider. He's a Ron Wolf protégé, and Wolf used to routinely take project QBs in low rounds, develop them (well, Holmgren developed them), and trade them. Matt Hasslebeck, Mark Brunell and Matt Flynn were all such picks.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I don't think that's a stretch for Schneider. He's a Ron Wolf protégé, and Wolf used to routinely take project QBs in low rounds, develop them (well, Holmgren developed them), and trade them. Matt Hasslebeck, Mark Brunell and Matt Flynn were all such picks.
Not to mention, other positions are much easier to fill and hit on with good players in later rounds, QB, not so much. If a QB slips past round 2, unless everyone missed and you get a fluke like Brady, Purdy, or Dak, QBs in round 3 or later are just backups. Still that's a very rare case scenario, that a late rounder ever sees many years as a starter.

I would not feel bad at all burning the first two picks on QBs that people say are "2nd rounders" as long as the team believed they both had franchise potential.

knownone

Reaction score
I'd rather have Geno or Lock than Cousins. Cousins will be 36 and coming off a significant injury with a huge contract demand. It seems like a terrible move to get a moderate upgrade over Geno, considering they'd still have a 17M hit for Geno.

The smart move is to hang on to either Geno or Lock and hope a guy slides within our range in the draft.

Torc

Reaction score
Not to mention, other positions are much easier to fill and hit on with good players in later rounds, QB, not so much. If a QB slips past round 2, unless everyone missed and you get a fluke like Brady, Purdy, or Dak, QBs in round 3 or later are just backups. Still that's a very rare case scenario, that a late rounder ever sees many years as a starter.

I would not feel bad at all burning the first two picks on QBs that people say are "2nd rounders" as long as the team believed they both had franchise potential.
Wolf had a knack for low rounders. I was wrong on Flynn, Ted Thompson picked him and he wasn't a QB guru.

Wolf picked:
Mark Brunell, playoff calibre starter (5th rounder, 17 year career)
Ty Detmer, round 9, played 9 years. Mostly a backup if I remember correctly? Still, 9 years.
Matt Hasselbeck - round 6, played 17 years, playoff and super bowl QB
Aaron Brooks, 7 years, playoff starter, round 4
Kurt Warner, undrafted, 12 year player, HOFer
and of course Brett Favre in the second round.

Not bad - two hall of famers, and three of those players started at least one super bowl. And none of them were a higher pick than Favre, who was pick 33 in the 2nd round. He did pick three QBs I've never heard of who never played a down in the NFL...but they were in the 5th and 7th rounds so he didn't waste high picks on them. That's a good track record.

It remains to be seen whether Schneider has the same kind of eye for QBs. Wilson was obviously a solid pick in the third round, and from what I understand Schneider was the one who wanted him. One of my gripes about the past 10 years is that we haven't brought in young projects. I don't know whether that was because Russ' ego couldn't deal with a competitor or if that was a JS call, or a Pete one. I suspect it was a combination of Pete (why go into the year with more than two QBs on the active roster? That'd just be a waste of space!) and the Russ thing.

94Smith

Reaction score
I'd rather have Geno or Lock than Cousins. Cousins will be 36 and coming off a significant injury with a huge contract demand. It seems like a terrible move to get a moderate upgrade over Geno, considering they'd still have a 17M hit for Geno.

The smart move is to hang on to either Geno or Lock and hope a guy slides within our range in the draft.
I like Cousins a lot. He played behind a mediocre O line in Minnesota. Its not like he was super mobile before the Achilles injury. He diced up the 49ers D . He was on pace for the passing title this year before the injury. To say he would not be an upgrade over Geno is being a bit of a homer. I think the Seahawks would be good to sign him and draft a QB. But, by all means, keep Geno at QB. As a 49er fan I would be happy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Cousins is wildly underrated but the way the team is currently constructed it does seem like if that was your plan keeping Geno/Lock is the better option. I like Kirk though so if we got him I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be excited.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I like Cousins a lot. He played behind a mediocre O line in Minnesota. Its not like he was super mobile before the Achilles injury. He diced up the 49ers D . He was on pace for the passing title this year before the injury. To say he would not be an upgrade over Geno is being a bit of a homer. I think the Seahawks would be good to sign him and draft a QB. But, by all means, keep Geno at QB. As a 49er fan I would be happy
I agree Cousins is potentially "elite level", but for the added cost, I don't think he's so far ahead of Geno as to be worth it. Just too old already, had too many season ending injuries. No I'd rather keep a budget Geno, who can be nearly as good as Cousins and draft a QBOTF or a couple of prospective ones behind him. We need offensive linemen too badly as well, will need money to sign some.

I wouldn't be bummed if we went and got Cousins, I'd be stoked, but I'd feel we paid way too much. He's gonna make top money somewhere. I'd just hate to be the team paying him and then he has another season ender injury.

knownone

Reaction score
The Vikings had the #2 offensive line in pass blocking, arguably the best receiver in the league, and they play in a dome. Cousins had an excellent start to the season, but statistically, over the last five years, he hasn't been that great.

I didn't say he would'nt be an upgrade over Geno. Feel free to read my post.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
The Vikings had the #2 offensive line in pass blocking, arguably the best receiver in the league, and they play in a dome. Cousins had an excellent start to the season, but statistically, over the last five years, he hasn't been that great.

I didn't say he would'nt be an upgrade over Geno. Feel free to read my post.
He'd be a slight upgrade, at a premium cost...

NoGain

Reaction score
I'm not a CAP expert by any stretch, but what kind of financial maneuvering would we have to do to even make the idea of Cousins feasible?

knownone

Reaction score
He'd be a slight upgrade, at a premium cost...
Which was the point I made in my post. If Cousins signed a market value contract at 40m, Seattle would be paying 26 more for Cousins in order to move on from Geno. That's not worth a marginal upgrade at QB.

renofox

Reaction score
As a 49er fan, I'm sure you'd love to see the Seahawks blow up their already limited cap situation by spending an extra $20-30M on a QB who is a very slight improvement from the one on the roster whose cap/performance ratio is probably the highest among non-rookie-contract QBs in the NFL.

I hope JS disappoints you.

sc85sis

Reaction score
-- And I cannot tell you how bad an idea DJ Uiagalelei is. My daughter was at OSU. I was at most of their home games, so had the bigger view as opposed to TV. That kid makes his reads so slowly. They often tried to cut the field in half for him. Still struggled to read a simple high low concept. Arm strength was good sometimes but misfired a lot.

-- Nix and McCarthy are run game facilitators. Did you really see either of them make wow plays with their arms.

-- Unless it is the fifth round, I would be bummed about any of the three. I would pray I was wrong, but would be very pessimistic.

Mase
DJ did a portal transfer to Florida State and isn’t going to be in the draft this year.

And I agree that he isn’t that great; his HS ranking was overrated.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Depending on how the combine and stuff go, I'd have no problem taking him in the first round. Getting him in the third would give me the jizzums.

12forlife

Reaction score

I believe how the contract was worked, the Hawks can get out of his contact for nothing?

Latest posts