Quarterback options for 2024

12forlife

Reaction score
Maye will be gone for sure before #5, and I doubt Daniels is worth the cost. They would probably want our first round 2025 pick.
Oh yeah for sure, probably our 2nd rd aswell. but if they feel Daniels is their guy go get him!

12forlife

Reaction score
Well, it’s 700 points on the trade value chart. So we are already paying them a premium in the trade, unless you figure Seahawks are top-7 in W-L for 2024.

PFF now rates Nix as #4 QB. Personally, I would take him at #16. But if you want to take a little risk, trade back a little lower. Let’s see how all these guys look coming out of the combine.
I put more stock in game film then the underwear Olympics. Bobo being a prime example, he ain't no Tyreke, but he ain't no 4.9 either

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
It’s hard to say anything at this juncture, it’s a free for all now.

I’m curious to see how Schneider handles the QB situation untethered from Carroll. He was part of the same group that drafted Rodgers round one when they still had Favre, though Favre was wishy washy.

It will be fascinating to see JS’s approach to the draft without Carroll. I’m not sure how he will approach things.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Penix is a great kid that has overcame serious injuries. 24 by draft time, 2 torn ACLs let alone as a Hawkeye/Big 10 guy we all saw him revert to the Penix we saw at Indiana years ago in the championship game when facing a good defense. He panics when pressured. Furthermore, yes we need to find out future QB, why is this highlighted to the point with not being out glaring issue of not being able to stop a nose bleed let alone the running game of the opposition.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
Geno no
Cousins no
Draft qbotf yes
Draft two qbotf's yes
Let them duke it out aka Wilson/Flynn
Do whatever it takes to draft The Guy. Without him, you have nothing.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Geno no
Cousins no
Draft qbotf yes
Draft two qbotf's yes
Let them duke it out aka Wilson/Flynn
Do whatever it takes to draft The Guy. Without him, you have nothing.
Overly risky to just take two rookies and call it a day. Better chance of success keeping a veteran on roster and selecting the rookie you actually want to develop.

We may want to hammer volume until we find ourselves lucking into a top quarterback, but the playoffs are half comprised of Geno level or below starters right now. Goff, Pickett, Love, Joe Flacco...

No reason to destroy all continuity for funsies. Build a nest for the QBOTF and fly in the meantime.

James in PA

Reaction score
As I stated in another thread: The only way I'm down for keeping Geno is as a very short term bridge quarterback, while we wait for a rookie to develop. The thing with Geno is that he's not going to take you where you ultimately want to go so it's best not to prolong it. Must stop screwing around and draft a QB this year. John is from the Green Bay school where they are used to drafting quarterbacks regularly. I think without Pete around pushing for other positions, John will finally pull the trigger.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Ewers is staying at UT for his senior season.

Any draft choice we make is going to mean we need to keep Geno for at least a year.
Penix has had a lot of injuries over his college career.
JJ McCarthy has a higher ceiling as Michigan is a run centered offense which means we have yet to see JJ really cook and he does have an arm. We're still not sure he's declaring for the draft yet.
I'm not high on any of those free agents and would only consider Cousins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
As I stated in another thread: The only way I'm down for keeping Geno is as a very short term bridge quarterback, while we wait for a rookie to develop. The thing with Geno is that he's not going to take you where you ultimately want to go so it's best not to prolong it. Must stop screwing around and draft a QB this year. John is from the Green Bay school where they are used to drafting quarterbacks regularly. I think without Pete around pushing for other positions, John will finally pull the trigger.
Assuming the trigger is there to pull, of course.

We're talking about the most sought after commodity in pro sports, not something you just decide to grab. It isn't a guaranteed item that you can buy for a set price. There's competition for the legit ones, and then there are fliers on the developmental ones.

Not only that, but then you have to hit on actually developing the guy. Not all of them benefit from starting right away, and why would you want to lose games in the meantime?

What people are advocating for here is the method that loser organizations get themselves into hell with. Just losing your balls off and then "time to pull the trigger on whatever quarterback is in front of us and then we ruin him because we became a losing organization!" a la Chicago.

Me, I like to compete in the meantime. I'm sure every single coach and player feels quite the same about that, too.

Bridge quarterbacks are not bad. Competent play at the spot is not bad. Any ceilings we're putting on the team because of the quarterback spot are, in the end, an invention of our own imagination. They're not real.

Nick Foles won a Super Bowl. Case Keenum made an NFCCG. Blake Bortles made an AFCCG.

Geno had the season that Jared Goff had this year in 2022. Unlike Goff, Geno did it with a middling to bad line, no run game, Shane Waldron instead of hottest-coordinator-in-football Ben Johnson, and an objectively terrible defense.

So, yes, Geno is a bridge, and yes, a quarterback for the future should be sought after. This does not mean that we need to blow it all up because we're angsty that we don't have that guy yet, and it doesn't mean we need to start blowing picks on a guy just to say we did. Wait for the right fit, compete in the meantime. It's the only right way.

xray

Reaction score
It would be gr8 to get a bargain basement unknown rookie QB in the draft like Brady ; but that's as rare as flying pigs humping unicorns . Drafting a QB in the 1st round can be a disappointing crapshoot...Dan McGwire-1991...Rick Mirer-1993 . Mirer actually shared Offensive Rookie of the year with Jerome Bettis . Then this happened... In his 4 years with the Hawks , he posted a 20-31 record . Yikes !

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Assuming the trigger is there to pull, of course.

We're talking about the most sought after commodity in pro sports, not something you just decide to grab. It isn't a guaranteed item that you can buy for a set price. There's competition for the legit ones, and then there are fliers on the developmental ones.

Not only that, but then you have to hit on actually developing the guy. Not all of them benefit from starting right away, and why would you want to lose games in the meantime?

What people are advocating for here is the method that loser organizations get themselves into hell with. Just losing your balls off and then "time to pull the trigger on whatever quarterback is in front of us and then we ruin him because we became a losing organization!" a la Chicago.

Me, I like to compete in the meantime. I'm sure every single coach and player feels quite the same about that, too.

Bridge quarterbacks are not bad. Competent play at the spot is not bad. Any ceilings we're putting on the team because of the quarterback spot are, in the end, an invention of our own imagination. They're not real.

Nick Foles won a Super Bowl. Case Keenum made an NFCCG. Blake Bortles made an AFCCG.

Geno had the season that Jared Goff had this year in 2022. Unlike Goff, Geno did it with a middling to bad line, no run game, Shane Waldron instead of hottest-coordinator-in-football Ben Johnson, and an objectively terrible defense.

So, yes, Geno is a bridge, and yes, a quarterback for the future should be sought after. This does not mean that we need to blow it all up because we're angsty that we don't have that guy yet, and it doesn't mean we need to start blowing picks on a guy just to say we did. Wait for the right fit, compete in the meantime. It's the only right way.
Bears did it to Fields
Panthers are doing it to Young.

Fortunately, the Seahawks are not in that situation. If they can beef up the middle of the OL, the next QB has a good supporting cast at RB and WR.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Overly risky to just take two rookies and call it a day. Better chance of success keeping a veteran on roster and selecting the rookie you actually want to develop.

We may want to hammer volume until we find ourselves lucking into a top quarterback, but the playoffs are half comprised of Geno level or below starters right now. Goff, Pickett, Love, Joe Flacco...

No reason to destroy all continuity for funsies. Build a nest for the QBOTF and fly in the meantime.
I don't disagree entirely, except to say we did the rookie thing in 2012 and it worked out spectacularly well for us, did it not? Although, I forgot Flynn wasn't a rookie.

Mase

Reaction score
-- And I cannot tell you how bad an idea DJ Uiagalelei is. My daughter was at OSU. I was at most of their home games, so had the bigger view as opposed to TV. That kid makes his reads so slowly. They often tried to cut the field in half for him. Still struggled to read a simple high low concept. Arm strength was good sometimes but misfired a lot.

-- Nix and McCarthy are run game facilitators. Did you really see either of them make wow plays with their arms.

-- Unless it is the fifth round, I would be bummed about any of the three. I would pray I was wrong, but would be very pessimistic.

Mase

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
-- And I cannot tell you how bad an idea DJ Uiagalelei is. My daughter was at OSU. I was at most of their home games, so had the bigger view as opposed to TV. That kid makes his reads so slowly. They often tried to cut the field in half for him. Still struggled to read a simple high low concept. Arm strength was good sometimes but misfired a lot.

-- Nix and McCarthy are run game facilitators. Did you really see either of them make wow plays with their arms.

-- Unless it is the fifth round, I would be bummed about any of the three. I would pray I was wrong, but would be very pessimistic.

Mase
Nix threw 4,500 yards, 45 TDs, 77% completion rate, only 3 interceptions.

Latest posts