QB controversy in 9ers land?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":1kiomf79 said:
Mullens is a keeper...even if I routinely misspell his last name. LOL.

People are talking about Mullens and Garoppolo when the only real question about Mullens this offseason is if he can beat out Beathard for the #2 job, and that's *far* from guaranteed.

I think Mullens has shown more than Beathard at this point, but it would be hard to argue that Beathard doesn't have a higher ceiling than him.

I have to guess that the Seahawks fans here who are hyping up Nick Mullens just haven't seen a lot of him, and are basing their opinions off of having lost to him and maybe the nationally televised Raiders game (the two best games he played, and it's not even close).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":33apjtts said:
Marvin49":33apjtts said:
Sometimes, you can just watch a guy and KNOW he has "IT".

That's how it feels watching Russell Wilson, and yet there are knob gobblers on here that would claim he doesn't have "IT". The difference is, Russ has actually performed in meaningful situations. All I'm saying is GQ still has to prove it, and I remain unconvinced, not from a performance standpoint, but from a health one.

Totally Fair.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1lvv3dxv said:
HawkGA":1lvv3dxv said:
GQ is this generation's Scott Mitchell.
You are responsible for killing the niner’s troll’s dreams. I hope you are satisfied! :sarcasm_off: 8)

Yeah...not so much. :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1b46t8az said:
Marvin49":1b46t8az said:
Mullens is a keeper...even if I routinely misspell his last name. LOL.

People are talking about Mullens and Garoppolo when the only real question about Mullens this offseason is if he can beat out Beathard for the #2 job, and that's *far* from guaranteed.

I think Mullens has shown more than Beathard at this point, but it would be hard to argue that Beathard doesn't have a higher ceiling than him.

I have to guess that the Seahawks fans here who are hyping up Nick Mullens just haven't seen a lot of him, and are basing their opinions off of having lost to him and maybe the nationally televised Raiders game (the two best games he played, and it's not even close).

I said it before....I think its because they've never faced Jimmy G poutside of 1 garbage time possession and faced Mullens twice last year. He had 414 yards passing in a lopsided 49er loss in the first meeting and he was the QB who beat them for the first time in several years in the second meeting.

94Smith

Reaction score
Maulbert":2gwlkvnm said:
Marvin49":2gwlkvnm said:
The difference is, Russ has actually performed in meaningful situations. .

The 49ers haven't had a "meaningful situation" since the 2013 NFC championship game!! It's all about the flash plays, the ooh! plays. You can see it in certain players. I remember Willis as a rookie, you could see it. You could see it with Russell Wilson as a rookie as well, why do you think they started him after that preseason? Sometimes you don't need a big body of work to see things. The "meaningful situation" adds the element of pressure. How does someone perform when all the chips are across the line. I hope the 49ers have meaningful situations this year. Isn't that why we watch?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
94Smith":1bfws2iy said:
Maulbert":1bfws2iy said:
Marvin49":1bfws2iy said:

The 49ers haven't had a "meaningful situation" since the 2013 NFC championship game!! It's all about the flash plays, the ooh! plays. You can see it in certain players. I remember Willis as a rookie, you could see it. You could see it with Russell Wilson as a rookie as well, why do you think they started him after that preseason? Sometimes you don't need a big body of work to see things. The "meaningful situation" adds the element of pressure. How does someone perform when all the chips are across the line. I hope the 49ers have meaningful situations this year. Isn't that why we watch?
Excellent points sir! :2thumbs:

Maulbert

Reaction score
94Smith":yu3wok2x said:
Maulbert":yu3wok2x said:
Marvin49":yu3wok2x said:

I do agree GQ hasn't had a meaningful situation yet, the thing is, while Wilson CLEARLY was better than Flynn in 2012 (Which turned out in the long run to not mean anything at all) I didn't really start believing Wilson had 'IT' until he willed the team to victory over Chicago in December of his rookie year. When he led the comeback against the Patriots in October, I thought it was great, but that could easily have been a fluke. They were at home with the crowd behind them, and Brady had his first multi-pick game in literal SEASONS.

In Chicago, he led a 97 yard TD drive in under 4 minutes on the road that should have been a game winner, except Richard Sherman gave up a 56 yard completion to Brandon Marshall which allowed the Bears to send the game into overtime. He then led them on an 80 yard drive in OT that ended the game with a TD. That was when I knew he had 'IT'. GQ hasn't stayed healthy long enough to have that moment, even if you like his play. Health is part of 'IT', and Jimmy has not shown even an iota of proof that he can stay healthy. He couldn't even stay healthy for 4 games in New England during Brady's suspension in 2016.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":w8jvjs6t said:
HawkGA":w8jvjs6t said:
You are responsible for killing the niner’s troll’s dreams. I hope you are satisfied! :sarcasm_off: 8)

:irishdrinkers:

SF49r

Reaction score
Wilson probably would have been a top 10 pick if he wasnt so damn short

Largent80

Reaction score
SF49r":3ienkdh7 said:

Too short to win a SB.....Ummmmm. Jimmy ain't short except on doing anything worth mentioning long term in the NFL.

SF49r

Reaction score
Not knocking Wilson just saying he was always talented even in college and he only dropped in the draft cause of his height which proved it was all a crapshoot anyway.

SF49r

Reaction score
That was a pretty good draft for Seattle. 2 franchise players that would be top 5 at their positions for years? Not too shabby. Didnt the so-called experts give you guys a F for that draft?

chris98251

Reaction score
SF49r":2w1rarmm said:
That was a pretty good draft for Seattle. 2 franchise players that would be top 5 at their positions for years? Not too shabby. Didnt the so-called experts give you guys a F for that draft?

Yeah we were getting sliced and diced for like 3 years about it, then the Conference Championship and playoffs and all of a sudden many claimed it was great and forgot their initial evaluation. We didn't and neither did the players.

Maulbert

Reaction score
SF49r":2zydsoj7 said:

Maybe not put the best way, but yeah, you're right. I've heard about more than a few scouts who believe 2 more inches would have put him in the predraft conversation with RG3. There's no question Luck would always go first, but Wilson was as good as RG3 in college and CLEARLY better than Tannehill, Weeden, or Osweiler, who all went ahead of him. He just couldn't beat the height prejudice.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
HawkGA":39cuhl48 said:
Why? Because Mitchell backed up Dan Marino?

Anyway, Florio is still on about this Kirk Cousins thing. Cousins certainly has a better arm than Garoppolo, and really better than most qbs in the league, and he is better than he gets credit (30 tds to 10 ints is definitely better than aberage), but he is too old for that kind of deal for what he brings to the table, and his contract is too bloated. It’s simply not going to happen. Not unless JQ falls off the map AND Cousins struggles enough in Minnesota that they think he’s not worth the contract AND he’s willing to renegotiate his contract for a trade.

I just can’t envision a scenario where all the things needed to happen do so. If JQ falls off a map I expect the 49ers will be drafting high enough to take a quarterback anyway.

snackdaddy

Reaction score
Jeez, if the whiners ended up cutting ties with Jimmy GQ their board would implode. Some of those homers over there want to dispense with the Hall of Fame waiting period and anoint him today. :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1tzaqkcp said:
One of the best 3rd round picks in the history of the draft, period.

There's twenty two Hall of Famers who would likely disagree with that, regardless of if you put a period on it or not.

I think Wilson is on track to likely get in, although some first or second team All Pro awards (he doesn't have any) and (even better) an MVP award season would probably cement that.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Popeyejones":22qvvd53 said:
SoulfishHawk":22qvvd53 said:
One of the best 3rd round picks in the history of the draft, period.

There's twenty two Hall of Famers who would likely disagree with that, regardless of if you put a period on it or not.

I think Wilson is on track to likely get in, although some first or second team All Pro awards (he doesn't have any) and (even better) an MVP award season would probably cement that.

He said one of, not just the best. Get your divisional bias out of your ears. The NFL draft has been around since 1934. Basic math easily estimates over 1,500 3rd round picks since then. I'd say Wilson is easily in the top 50 all time. I'd say 50 out of 1,500 is easily one of the best all time. Geez.