QB Brett Hundley Traded To Seahawks

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3qr1mjsv said:
Just more Seahawk front officd arrogance. They think they can turn every other teams crap into roses. There will be much better options for a backup QB in the coming days but the FO ego strikes again.

This is how I feel. Why did we jump on Hundley of all people when better options are sure to come available for the same or better price?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2a02f289 said:
Mad Dog":2a02f289 said:
Good trade. 6th rounders have had no more value than UDFA's in this FO's history. So using them as trade bait is totally worthwhile. If you can find Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Poona Ford, Brandon Browner in the UDFA market, 6th rounders aren't all that.

It might be a good trade it might be a disaster we'll see i guess.

Pretty sure there is no way a trade of a sixth rounder could ever be considered a disaster.

Fade

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":iqckh6yg said:
There will be much better options for a backup QB in the coming days but the FO ego strikes again.
pittpnthrs":iqckh6yg said:
This is how I feel. Why did we jump on Hundley of all people when better options are sure to come available for the same or better price?

Genuinely curious.

What QBs are going to be available on waivers that will be "much better options" or available in a trade for the last pick of the 6th rd?

I need names.

What Quarterbacks do you guys have in mind?

Genuinely curious.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":3tnanex9 said:
JayhawkMike":3tnanex9 said:
There will be much better options for a backup QB in the coming days but the FO ego strikes again.
pittpnthrs":3tnanex9 said:

Genuinely curious.

What QBs are going to be available on waivers that will be "much better options" or available in a trade for the last pick of the 6th rd?

I need names.

Genuinely curious.

Kaep and RG III

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Bridgewater has just cost the Saints a third and is a one year rental at 5m a year so far. Just for perspective.

peppersjap

Reaction score
chris98251":39opcexx said:
Fade":39opcexx said:
JayhawkMike":39opcexx said:
pittpnthrs":39opcexx said:

Genuinely curious.

I need names.

Genuinely curious.

Kaep and RG III
Why can't people get over this Kaepernick crap?? So Hundley looked very average on a team where he was replacing probably the best QB in the NFL. He had a pretty tough act to follow. I feel so much better with him than I did with Boykin and the guys we have now and god forbid we gave up a late 6th round pick. Austin Davis has been horrible the whole preseason except his 1st drive when he ended it with a ridiculous interception and McGough needs time on the practice squad. He played very bad last game but his stats looked way better after you throw in a meaningless 50 yard hail mary at the end of the game. Hundley actually has some potential and is athletic enough that he might be able to do something if Wilson did go down.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
After having some time to digest this I understand why they did it . I'm still not at all sold on Hundley though not even as a backup . He's got a lot to prove based on his track record.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
After having some time to digest this I understand why they did it . I'm still not at all sold on Hundley though not even as a backup .

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I can't say Hundley would have been my first choice but then I look around at the potential options and I genuinely can't work out who my first choice would be. This is one of those decisions where hindsight will be 20/20 and not just after cut down day, future contracts and ability will all be under the microscope.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Terrible decision.

My general rule with getting a new player is to see what the fans of the team that player played for said.

When the literally most important player on that team signs a deal to keep him in the fold, and more fans are ecstatic about Hundley leaving - that is not just a red flag. It is a screaming siren of WTF.

I am so sick of this team ignoring the problems other teams have with players and thinking we can make it work here. It never works here. It just wastes time & money.

Worse, we just did this crap with Lacey. We brought in a guy that sucked somewhere else and hope he can be better here. He cannot and won't.

This approach worked with Lynch. But Lynch was not a problem on the field and his production on the field was never an issue.

People always get upset with me for getting upset with the FO. But then the FO constantly does stupid things like this.

This is stupid. On every level. It didn't work with Harvin, that terrible CB from the Eagles, Lacey and a ton of other 'didn't work elsewhere but might work here' reclamation projects. It didn't work with our terrible kicker last year.

Guys this kind of thing works with are guys that produce but don't fit. Avril and Bennett were pickups from other teams but they were not failures there. Their fanbase was not throwing parties and singing songs of jubilation as they got on the plane.

This is just a waste of a draft pick, a waste of a roster slot, and another in a long line of stupid pickups that this FO grabs hoping it will be better here. Ugh. The question is, have ANY of the reclamation projects worked out for us? Ever? It must have worked somewhere because they keep trying it - but I am at a loss as to when it worked.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Geez Twisted, breathe in. It's a 6th round pick. Schneider is going to stockpile like he always does.
Do you EVER give the front office credit for anything? OR, is it just "lucky" if the Hawks hit on a draft pick or trade?

pmedic920

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2923zr0q said:
Terrible decision.

My general rule with getting a new player is to see what the fans of the team that player played for said.

When the literally most important player on that team signs a deal to keep him in the fold, and more fans are ecstatic about Hundley leaving - that is not just a red flag. It is a screaming siren of WTF.

I am so sick of this team ignoring the problems other teams have with players and thinking we can make it work here. It never works here. It just wastes time & money.

Worse, we just did this crap with Lacey. We brought in a guy that sucked somewhere else and hope he can be better here. He cannot and won't.

This approach worked with Lynch. But Lynch was not a problem on the field and his production on the field was never an issue.

People always get upset with me for getting upset with the FO. But then the FO constantly does stupid things like this.

This is stupid. On every level. It didn't work with Harvin, that terrible CB from the Eagles, Lacey and a ton of other 'didn't work elsewhere but might work here' reclamation projects. It didn't work with our terrible kicker last year.

Guys this kind of thing works with are guys that produce but don't fit. Avril and Bennett were pickups from other teams but they were not failures there. Their fanbase was not throwing parties and singing songs of jubilation as they got on the plane.

This is just a waste of a draft pick, a waste of a roster slot, and another in a long line of stupid pickups that this FO grabs hoping it will be better here. Ugh. The question is, have ANY of the reclamation projects worked out for us? Ever? It must have worked somewhere because they keep trying it - but I am at a loss as to when it worked.

The part of the issue that I think many people that have an opinion similar to yours is, it’s not a problem unique to the Seahawks.

Spend even a small amount of time on any team board, you will see quickly that all teams do this stuff, and all team’s Fan bases get pissed off a bout it.

Fact is, there’s only 32 teams, 32 head coaches, I’m not sure how many coaches are also the GM but I’m guessing there are less than 32 GMs.

I can’t say for sure but I’d bet the guys that hold these positions are probably in the top 100 best available folks to do the job they do.

I don’t believe for a split second that ANY of us could do a better job.

I know I couldn’t, do you, or does anybody here think they can?

I think it’s simply too much fun bitching about crap we don’t agree with.

YMMV
:{)

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Soulfish,

This move, by itself, isn't that bad. We lose a valuable roster spot and we get a garbage backup QB. And whatever salary he requires ( I don't care to look it up)

What bothers me is the FO never learns from its mistakes. If anything it doubles down.

This is trade equivalent of passing at the 1 for this franchise. We have burned more salary cap and wasted more opportunities, while literally losing games because of these decisions. Reclamation projects for guys that do not produce do not work. Period.

Or if they do they do not work here. For the few chances it does work, we are stuck with years of Laceys and that horrible kicker, the Eagles CB, Harvin and god knows what else.

They literally do not learn. They keep making stupid moves, costing us draft picks. And that also means we are going to see this crap again. With other failure prone players, guys with work ethic issues or worse.

By itself, this move means little. As part of a pattern, it means they keep repeating this terrible decisioning that is one of the key reasons this team has underachieved. We lost 3+ games last year because we brought in a failed kicker with this same reasoning.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Fade":1l4jbtea said:
JayhawkMike":1l4jbtea said:
pittpnthrs":1l4jbtea said:

Genuinely curious.

I need names.

Genuinely curious.

This is exactly where I fall on this too.

When Teddy Two Gloves goes for a 3rd rounder, giving up a 6th seems like a good deal for someone who will "hopefully" only see the field in garbage time.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Fade":yu8qllmb said:
JayhawkMike":yu8qllmb said:
pittpnthrs":yu8qllmb said:

Genuinely curious.

I need names.

Genuinely curious.

Money Manziel?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pmedic,

I disagree that an 'appeal to authority' works here.

A few teams have shown they can get away with this and it works for them. The Patriots are one of those teams. We are not. And the Patriots do get good players from bad teams that are not smart enough to realize they are good. BUT THEY DON'T GET PLAYERS FROM GOOD TEAMS THAT ARE JUST TRYING TO GET RID OF DEAD WOOD. That rarely works at all.

To me, this is simply the FO being lazy.

Clearly, they have evaluation models and based on their draft history, they put a lot of weighting on physical attributes and potential, even more than production. That makes sense because the college and NFL development environments are different and college environments can vary radically. Alabama clearly has a better strength and development program than UTEP.

However, in the NFL,
Production matters. NFL resources vary but not as radically. What a LB, CB, or Kicker has access to in Minnesota is probably close to what he would have access to in Seattle. Sure there are some context issues but the good teams generally know how to use their guys.

In this instance, it looks like we are grading guys on potential and not production, then making moves to get them, and finding we are surprised when they repeat their typical production/issues. We need to stop grading guys on potential, grade them on production and fit - they are not draft picks. They are known quantities.

This behavior screams we are grading them like we grade the draft picks. (Which is another issue)

Again, the data is out there. While there are cases that people find a new environment and blossom, for the most part, people do not change. They have been playing the game for 10+ years, counting college + HS. This is who they are and how they produce. Bringing in failures from elsewhere almost always results in failures in the new location. Not always, but enough you don't want to bet against it and you CERTAINLY do not want to fill your roster in key positions ignoring this reality.

Carroll is an optimist. He believes in the power of people changing. He believes that new opportunities create new results. But the data says otherwise, people tend to produce how they historically have. When their production is augmented or limited by the system or people surrounding them this can change, but the bulk of those production issues are going to follow the player to the new location because they are a function of the player themselves.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1eifo445 said:
Terrible decision.

I don't liker it either the reason is simple Hundley isn't any good.

Latest posts