Pundits' critique of Seahawks' draft picks

Rainger

Reaction score
I was very excited to see the Hawks pick up Charbonnet. Perfect complement to WalkerIII. Added some Thunder to go along with K9 Lightning!

Agreed, so many "pundits" and even MANY posters here, IMO, simply don't understand how Pete values Running Backs. Also, how easily they forget that Hawks RBs have terrible problems staying healthy and available. Going into a game with your "feature back" as Travis Homer? No thank you!
Fixed it for you!

pmedic920

Reaction score
You know what's funny, TOO many people in the live draft feeds were saying "They already have Walker, why would they waste another 2nd rounder on Charbonet?!" and it really is clear that all of these self-described "experts" don't know anything about this team. Walker and Charbonet are NOT the same type of RB and I'm surprised a lot of people don't even take 2 seconds to figure that out.
AND…

No freaking team banks on the guy “they already have” at RB.

it takes a stable of RBs to run the ball in the NFL.

I’m a football imbecile and even I know that much.

Rainger

Reaction score

Summary

Here is a list of which sites gave the Seahawks which grades:

• A+ (2): FanSided, Touchdown Wire
  • A (7): The Associated Press, ESPN (Mel Kiper), The New York Post, PFF.com, Pro Football Network, The Ringer, USA Today
  • A- (5): Bleacher Report, DraftKings, NFL.com, Sports Illustrated, The Washington Post
  • B+ (5): Athlon Sports, CBS Sports (Pete Prisco), FOX Sports, NBC Sports Edge, The Sporting News
  • B: N/A
  • B-(1): Walter Football
  • C+ (1): Fantasy Pros
  • Lower: N/A
  • Winner: The Athletic
And as I said in another post:
For all of you who gave the Hawks a lower grade than B+ this evidence I'm pretty sure shows that you are either out of touch with reality or your hatred of PC has given you Pete derangement syndrome. There can be no other explanation.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Given the current depth chart (pre-draft) I expect both Charbonnet and Mack to make the final cut. That's gonna be a fun RB group. :)
It really is going to be a fantastic RB group. It's going to be a lot more fun this preseason, too, because of this RB depth chart.

BigMeach

Reaction score
They gave us terrible grades on drafting Walker last year too because of mainly Carson but also Penny. If the bad grade is because we have Walker they clearly don't pay attention. It was not that long ago we had to un-retire Marshawn Lynch just to have an RB for the playoffs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's a big nothing burger. Giving this team bad grades on this draft is just plain dumb. Honestly, other than for some clicks, I'm not really sure why anyone cares what grade people give the team. It will be determined on the field, just like last year's class.

Ruminator

Reaction score

Summary

• A (7): The Associated Press, ESPN (Mel Kiper), The New York Post, PFF.com, Pro Football Network, The Ringer, USA Today
  • A- (5): Bleacher Report, DraftKings, NFL.com, Sports Illustrated, The Washington Post
  • B+ (5): Athlon Sports, CBS Sports (Pete Prisco), FOX Sports, NBC Sports Edge, The Sporting News
For all of you who gave the Hawks a lower grade than B+ this evidence I'm pretty sure shows that you are either out of touch with reality or your hatred of PC has given you Pete derangement syndrome. There can be no other explanation.
I THINK it's safe to say the Seahawks' front office got a passing grade this draft: 19 scores from B+ on up. I'm sure it pained many of them to give Seattle such high grades.

Mase

Reaction score
From NFL.com.... 2022 post draft grades

Grade
C+
SEA
Seattle Seahawks

Draft picks

Day 1 grade: C
Day 2 grade: C
Day 3 grade: B

..... need anyone say more?? I am more concerned that these overly self assured idiots DID give us a high grade.

Mase

Sun Tzu

Reaction score

Summary

Any grade A-F is imaginable. If someone wants to give the Hawks an F this year, go for it. Who am I, you, or anyone else to tell someone that our grade is right and their grade is wrong? I'd like to have a debate with someone who thinks the Hawks got a D rather than tell them they're out of touch with reality. I'd like to know why they think (feel) that way and how they support their opinion, and then present my counter as to why I think they got a B.

You posting a collection of grades and then saying the random collection of grades you posted is "evidence" that anyone who gave the Hawks less than a B+ is out of touch with reality only proves that you don't know how to substantiate your opinions.

Have you ever noticed that almost every team gets a grade of C or above? What happened to the Ds and Fs? Is that evidence that every team is performing at or above average in the draft (mathematically impossible in case you were wondering)? Or, is it evidence that talking heads in the media are pandering to their audience? Or perhaps, as a society, we've collectively become a bunch of pansies handing out A's for average performance like we hand out candy for half-assed Halloween costumes (for the record, I still contend that there was absolutely nothing wrong with me judging 3-year-old's costumes and telling them to get off my damn porch if they hadn't brought their A-game)?

This rampant antagonistic homerism schtick of yours has gone beyond insufferable.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
From NFL.com.... 2022 post draft grades

Grade
C+
View attachment 58970
Seattle Seahawks

Draft picks

Day 1 grade: C
Day 2 grade: C
Day 3 grade: B

..... need anyone say more?? I am more concerned that these overly self assured idiots DID give us a high grade.

Mase
What people say about our draft has ZERO impact on how good they will be on the field. While it's fun to talk about, they don't have that kind of power.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
I'm still kinda pissed that we didn't take Levis or Hooker but after careful consideration our picks do make sense to give us a better chance of winning now. PC/JS know what they got in Geno, a competent QB but we need to score more points. Geno is good for 1 or 2 a game, so let's get more on the ground and from our defense. Makes sense.

But the one thing I can't quite get over is that we still can't rely on Geno to come from behind and he has never thrown more than 3 TD's in a game. RW had 5 games with 5 TD's.

I love that we added 2 badass RB's but even if they turn out to be the second coming of Lynch I still can't see it being enough. The beauty of our 2013 team was the balance. We could get it done on the ground and in the air and our defense kept the score low while creating turnovers and scoring.

The bottom line; RW was an elite QB, Geno is not.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I'm still kinda pissed that we didn't take Levis or Hooker but after careful consideration our picks do make sense to give us a better chance of winning now. PC/JS know what they got in Geno, a competent QB but we need to score more points. Geno is good for 1 or 2 a game, so let's get more on the ground and from our defense. Makes sense.

But the one thing I can't quite get over is that we still can't rely on Geno to come from behind and he has never thrown more than 3 TD's in a game. RW had 5 games with 5 TD's.

I love that we added 2 badass RB's but even if they turn out to be the second coming of Lynch I still can't see it being enough. The beauty of our 2013 team was the balance. We could get it done on the ground and in the air and our defense kept the score low while creating turnovers and scoring.

I think you've got the lines blurred a bit my friend on what is elite & what is not.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think Seattle’s RBs depth is excellent this year.

Walker, Charbonnet, and McIntosh.

That’s a good trio during December and January.

Seattle really couldn’t run when Walker got hurt last year and Carroll knew this and didn’t want to chance it again this year so he used a high pick on Charbonnet.

I think McIntosh a bit more “fluid” and Charbonnet is a bit more “downfield.”

Walker - Great lateral quickness and fantastic 0-60 speed, decent pass blocker

Charbonnet - One cut punisher, a bit rugged style, decent speed, good pass blocker

McIntosh - Great burst and quick reader of holes, can drop shoulders and lay hits on defenders, average long speed, decent to average pass blocker

nwHawk

Reaction score
The Seattle Seahawks were 30th in the NFL last year in run defense, here is Pete and John staring at the strongest nose tackle coming out college this year and, a draft that is filled with WR talent late in the draft. And do they select the one guy who could of had a huge difference on our defense and have been better as far as cap space down the road. Hell NO !
They LET the Cowboys take him six picks later.

The swinging gate defense is back for 2023. Huge mistake !
Bigger upside and impact on Seahawks. Mazi at #20, or JSN?

Mazi was 5th or 6th best DT. JSN was the top receiver in this draft. Mazi was criticized for not having a bigger impact considering his size, strength and quickness.

I would have loved Mazi, but I am stoked we landed Jaxon. You want to keep your defense fresh, have an offense that the other team can’t get off the field.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Any grade A-F is imaginable. If someone wants to give the Hawks an F this year, go for it. Who am I, you, or anyone else to tell someone that our grade is right and their grade is wrong? I'd like to have a debate with someone who thinks the Hawks got a D rather than tell them they're out of touch with reality. I'd like to know why they think (feel) that way and how they support their opinion, and then present my counter as to why I think they got a B.

You posting a collection of grades and then saying the random collection of grades you posted is "evidence" that anyone who gave the Hawks less than a B+ is out of touch with reality only proves that you don't know how to substantiate your opinions.

Have you ever noticed that almost every team gets a grade of C or above? What happened to the Ds and Fs? Is that evidence that every team is performing at or above average in the draft (mathematically impossible in case you were wondering)? Or, is it evidence that talking heads in the media are pandering to their audience? Or perhaps, as a society, we've collectively become a bunch of pansies handing out A's for average performance like we hand out candy for half-assed Halloween costumes (for the record, I still contend that there was absolutely nothing wrong with me judging 3-year-old's costumes and telling them to get off my damn porch if they hadn't brought their A-game)?

This rampant antagonistic homerism schtick of yours has gone beyond insufferable.
Parts of that were a little harsh, Sun. Logically "correct" but homerism is an emotional thing, not a logical one. Detracted from the several other great points in it. I still love the homers just as much even when they sometimes get a little overenthusiastic and temporarily forget about that logic thing. :love:

I, for one, just want to "celebrate" the 2nd excellent (IMO) draft in a row. Simple history tells me that the Mediots are wrong A LOT on draft stuff, but then their business is entertainment, clicks and eyeballs, not correctness, and they just move onto the next thing they think will get clicks and eyeballs, and mostly just bury their past laughable takes. (Will Levis at #2, anyone? Reality = Levis #2 in 2nd round o_O)

The truth is we won't know for a year or two who was out of touch with reality on the various NFL teams' draft classes. Love your comment about "what happened to the Ds and Fs?" Made me think of Garrison Keillor's "hometown", Lake Wobegon, MN, where "...all the children are above average." The NFL draft version might be "That's the news from the 2023 NFL draft, where all the cheerleaders are strong, all the linemen are good-looking, and every team's draft class is above average." (y)

And, I can't wait until next Halloween to judge and terrorize 3 year olds who didn't bring their A-game to my door. Thanks for the idea! "Get off my porch with that weak-ass Spider-Man costume! No candy for you!!" :) No doubt in the following years there will be lots of 4 and 5 year olds stopping by that upped their game! (I'm not sure why I have recurring visions of moms and dads with the kids saying, "We've upped our game, now UP YOURS!" and mob-slugging me on my porch and hitting me with witch brooms.) ;)

Last edited:

WmHBonney

Reaction score

Key word: WAS
I look forward to seeing Geno in year 2 as a fulltime starter. Especially now that he has even more weapons to work with. Russ' best days are behind him. Sean Payton or not, a leopard can't change his spots.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
I think you've got the lines blurred a bit my friend on what is elite & what is not.
What do you think the qualifications should be to be considered an elite QB? 5 TD games and come from behind wins?

OP
OP
bileever

bileever

Reaction score
Last year's poor grades were based on the predetermined narrative that John Schneider and Pete Carroll are dumb (for trading RW) and that the team was going to be terrible in 2022. So when the Seahawks finished 5-12 (as everyone expected), the experts could say, "See, I told you the draft was a failure and the team was going to be bad."