Poll: If Seahawks won XLIX…

If Seahawks won XLIX, does Russ make HOF if he retired today?

• Yes

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters

seabowl

Reaction score
Since so many voted NO for Russ making the HOF if he retired today, I thought it would be interesting to see if the Hawks won XLIX how many of you would still think he wouldn’t make the HOF.

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
His damage in Denver is irreversible.

For many terminally ill patients, their greatest personal horror is that their kin may visually remember them at their last dying moments as opposed to their fondest moments together. Of course, the kin may not actually see it that way, but nevertheless, the love affair with Wilson wasn't that deep. It wasn't like kin. He will be remembered for his last dying moments. Further, he no longer possesses the escapability to recreate memorable moments in the future nor does he have the inner clock in his head to reinvent himself as a timing passer. He will always be oblivious to the timing pressures he imposes upon his offensive teammates. From here on out, his obscured vision will leave him spinning into sacks at half the speed he had five years ago. He is washed. Of course, there may be an occasional opposing defensive coordinator that can be fooled with excessive bootleg action, but I doubt it. The book is out on Wilson. His limitations are widely known now, and they have been for some time. The longer he plays, the more irreversible damage he will do to his already questionable legacy. Tom Brady has enough banked cache to add a few layers of tarnish. Wilson does not. Of course, you used the qualifier "right now" but that is absolutely not going to happen. Wilson is not going to retire "right now". So why suggest it as a possibility?

On a personal note, I believe Tony Romo is more deserving for the HOF. He was a better quarterback.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I don’t have a big emotional connection to Wilson one way or another. Except for the infamous play at the goal line, he would already have two Super Bowls. Voters will consider that along with his career QBR. I would also not discount the possibility of a comeback of the Broncos next season, if they get a good head coach.

GemCity

Reaction score
I don’t think he would. Now, if he came back to form and led the Broncos to the playoffs? I think he still has a chance.

This last season really lowered the odds and it’s going to take some magnificent play and team success for him to be considered.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Some of us need to take our emotions out of it and consider it's likely he will make the HoF, simply off of his existing record-breaking stats alone:

Russell Wilson has the most wins by a quarterback in his first seven seasons in NFL history. Wilson is one of five quarterbacks with 75 or more wins in any seven-season span of a career. Tom Brady is the only player who has managed to do this twice.

Russell Wilson has the 2nd-highest passing touchdown percentage in the Super Bowl era (minimum 3,000 attempts). Out of 3,291 attempts, Russell has thrown 196 touchdowns. His most productive year came in 2018, where he had a touchdown percentage of 8.2% (35 touchdowns, 427 attempts).

Russell Wilson has the 2nd-highest career passer rating (100.3) in NFL history. The only player to top Wilson is Aaron Rodgers who has a career passer rating of 103.1. Wilson's highest single game passer rating came in 2018 against the Detroit Lions where he recorded a perfect 158.3 passer rating.

Russell Wilson is tied for the most 4th-quarter comebacks (21) and game-winning drives (27) since entering the league in 2012, including postseason. One of his most memorable 4th-quarter comebacks happened in the 2014 postseason. Down 7-19 in the fourth quarter, the Seahawks came back to beat the Packers in overtime and clinch the NFC Championship.

Russell Wilson has the highest 4th-quarter passer rating (109.6) since 1991 among quarterbacks with 500 or more attempts. In 2017, Wilson finished the season with a 134.1 4th-quarter passer rating.

The Seahawks have a +269 point differential in the fourth quarter since 2012, the best in the NFL.

Source: Russell Wilson Mind-Boggling Stats (per NFL.com)

GemCity

Reaction score
Some of us need to take our emotions out of it and consider it's likely he will make the HoF, simply off of his existing record-breaking stats alone:

Russell Wilson has the most wins by a quarterback in his first seven seasons in NFL history. Wilson is one of five quarterbacks with 75 or more wins in any seven-season span of a career. Tom Brady is the only player who has managed to do this twice.

Russell Wilson has the 2nd-highest passing touchdown percentage in the Super Bowl era (minimum 3,000 attempts). Out of 3,291 attempts, Russell has thrown 196 touchdowns. His most productive year came in 2018, where he had a touchdown percentage of 8.2% (35 touchdowns, 427 attempts).

Russell Wilson has the 2nd-highest career passer rating (100.3) in NFL history. The only player to top Wilson is Aaron Rodgers who has a career passer rating of 103.1. Wilson's highest single game passer rating came in 2018 against the Detroit Lions where he recorded a perfect 158.3 passer rating.

Russell Wilson is tied for the most 4th-quarter comebacks (21) and game-winning drives (27) since entering the league in 2012, including postseason. One of his most memorable 4th-quarter comebacks happened in the 2014 postseason. Down 7-19 in the fourth quarter, the Seahawks came back to beat the Packers in overtime and clinch the NFC Championship.

Russell Wilson has the highest 4th-quarter passer rating (109.6) since 1991 among quarterbacks with 500 or more attempts. In 2017, Wilson finished the season with a 134.1 4th-quarter passer rating.

The Seahawks have a +269 point differential in the fourth quarter since 2012, the best in the NFL.

When you take a look at all that, I change my view and agree.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If we win 49, we likely win another 2 or 3 Superbowls, further bolstering his resume.

The LOB would've stayed intact, the team would've gone down as one of the greatest dynasties in NFL history.

Instead, we're left in a constant state of mediocrity, arguing over whether we want to keep Geno Smith and what future bust we draft at #5.

My, how far we've come. The bigger they are...

Fox0r

Reaction score
All these threads about RW not being a HOFer are emotion-based nonsense from people with goldfish memories. He is a HOFer already.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Another way to look at the fourth quarter stats: IF Russ is so good, then why did the Seahawks have to come from behind in the fourth quarter to begin with? :devilish:

Mick063

Reaction score
I can't believe I have to be Soulfish today. The trade is done. We have the draft picks. Let it go.
Here is the reason I can't let it go. The Pro Bowl QB that was on the roster last year, at a fraction of the cost, and after having led the team to its first playoff berth in years, is being routinely diminished as a viable player, while the guy that needs supervision so that he doesn't burn up the kitchen is being worshipped as a deity at a disturbing level. The wort gazing is too intense in ONE DIRECTION for my liking. As long as folks feel compelled to disparage the guy that WANTS TO BE HERE, I will feel compelled to ridicule the worthless bum that doesn't.

I guess you might say that there is some type of inverse law of physics going on here. You think it is allowable to disrespect Geno? Fine. Then allow me to reciprocate with Mr. Unlimited.

Last edited:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I say he would, but not on his first or second ballot. 2 rings is almost a guarantee.

However,

His closest HOF comp is probably Jim Plunkett. Jim has the Super Bowl MVP, and better post-season stats and honors while Wilson has better regular season stats.

Phil Sims is the other QB with 2 rings and no HOF induction, but he is largely left off of the list of 2 ring QBs, since he never came off the bench in his second SB.

For all of his regular season records and accomplishments, he has struggled in the post-season, and post-season success is the primary consideration in HOF voting.

keasley45

Reaction score
Sure, if you're willing to entertain the idea that 2022 Geno Smith would be in the same convo had he played with Beast Mode and the LOB at their peak for multiple years.

A backup qb just came into Russ's old house and reset the record books doing basic things Russ struggled to do - shortcomings that necessitated the need for comebacks in #3s career in the first place

That should put things in a slightly different than context.

All the stats about most winning qb... context. He had arguably the most effective RB in the league over his most successful period and was backed up by one of the best defenses in league. And the offense was so challenged that we still had to come back in the 4th qtr.

Will say that again.

We had the best defense in the league, finishing 1st in points allowed for multiple years and in the top half of the league for a good portion of his career.

We had the most punishing RB in the league who had runs that have gone down in the history books and who was consistently , statistically near tops in the league.

And we still had to come back at the end of games...

And to boot, RW has shown, regardless of who was calling the plays, an inability to perform a fundamental task that every other HOF qb in history could do... easily - Read a defense.

He was extraordinary in playing his game. He was a highlight machine when he'd just wing it. He no doubt contributed to our success. He was phenomenal.

AND he was flawed in ways that I can't think of any other HOF qb being. Yes, other HOF ers had weaknesses. But being as challenged as Russ is in certain areas... and then having the performance of an all world D and Running game to just so happen to coincide with the championships you did win...
There are enough question marks

chrispy

Reaction score
...couple thoughts...

As mentioned above, 2 SB victories is a minimum if that pass was successful. Doug Baldwin recently did a podcast where he guaranteed that there would have been a third. If there were more than 2 SBs there would be several players on that team that would easily go to the HOF. Obviously, RCW wouldn't be left out.

Secondly, whether you believe the NFL "steers" games or not, it's easy to see how the League would influence its own HOF. Today, if RCW was announced as a HOF winner, Denver season ticket owners would riot in the streets. (Yes, I know there's a delay, but making a point) When RCW's time comes, if Denver fans dislike him anywhere near as much as they do today, the NFL won't crown him. They want it to be a celebration and have fans feel some sort of pride... not have his jersey burning in the parking lot. Conversely, if Bronco fans like him at that point, he'll probably have a pretty good shot at getting in.

Lastly, RCW has never made a goal of the HOF. I'm not infallibly informed, but I've never heard him mention it. Alternatively, he frequently talks/talked about being "the best to ever play the game". A)Why do we care about HOF if he doesn't? B)If "the best to ever play the game" moniker is still on the table, then the HOF argument will be moot at that point.

NoGain

Reaction score
Lastly, RCW has never made a goal of the HOF. I'm not infallibly informed, but I've never heard him mention it. Alternatively, he frequently talks/talked about being "the best to ever play the game". A)Why do we care about HOF if he doesn't? B)If "the best to ever play the game" moniker is still on the table, then the HOF argument will be moot at that point.
I can't recall him stating the HOF as a personal goal either, but I can't believe it wasn't/isn't one of his chief career goals when he's sitting back and contemplating his career and his brand. Just MO. :)

Torc

Reaction score

As amazing as he was in the fourth quarter, those heroics were necessary because he was so terribly bad in the first quarter. At one point the Seahawks went 33 games without a touchdown on the first drive. Yeah. More than two seasons, including the entire 2017 season with that scintillating 4th quarter passer rating.

Yay, 4th quarter. Wilson was between mediocre and ordinary the rest of the game.

Wilson was a completely different quarterback in the first three quarters, throwing for 15 touchdowns and a pedestrian 83.5 passer rating with 10 interceptions. He threw more touchdowns in fourth quarters than he did in all other quarters combined.

Wilson’s statistical splits by quarter are astonishing. He was one of the NFL’s worst quarterbacks in the first quarter, throwing for a measly 5.8 yards per attempt (34th) and a paltry 75.3 passer rating (32nd). He progressed to a league average quarterback in the second quarter, jumping to 7.6 yards per attempt (19th) with an 84.9 passer rating (23rd) and carried his momentum into the third quarter by improving to 8.1 yards per attempt (17th) with an 88.9 passer rating (22nd).

When the fourth quarter arrived, Wilson put forth his best effort by throwing for a whopping 10.4 yards per attempt (second) with a 138.2 overall passer rating (first).

Yep. 34th in YPA in the first quarter in 2017. That would be out of 32 starting QBs.......even the backups played better than him in the first quarter.

Russ absolutely led the seahawks during the most successful period of their history and he does have some amazing stats. But he also had some VERY glaring weaknesses - and for the most part a very good defense that kept the Seahawks within striking distance of a win so he could amaze us at the end of the game.

BASF

Reaction score
As amazing as he was in the fourth quarter, those heroics were necessary because he was so terribly bad in the first quarter. At one point the Seahawks went 33 games without a touchdown on the first drive. Yeah. More than two seasons, including the entire 2017 season with that scintillating 4th quarter passer rating.

Yay, 4th quarter. Wilson was between mediocre and ordinary the rest of the game.

Yep. 34th in YPA in the first quarter in 2017. That would be out of 32 starting QBs.......even the backups played better than him in the first quarter.

Russ absolutely led the seahawks during the most successful period of their history and he does have some amazing stats. But he also had some VERY glaring weaknesses - and for the most part a very good defense that kept the Seahawks within striking distance of a win so he could amaze us at the end of the game.
That was that damnable Pete Carroll expecting him to run an NFL offense as it was designed don'tcha know?