Pick # 121 - TE AJ Barner

bman75

Reaction score
Much like quarterback J.J. McCarthy, Michigan didn't feature tight end AJ Barner as much as NFL evaluators would have liked because of its run-first approach on offense.
Michigan's scheme did help Barner show that he's a legitimate Y tight end with in-line blocking ability. However, he might have significant untapped potential as a receiver after catching only 22 passes for 249 yards during the program's national championship run this past season.
"McCarthy was asked which Michigan player was poised to make a bigger impact at the next level than people expected, and he cited tight end AJ Barner," ESPN's Adam Schefter reported.
At 6'6" and 251 pounds, Barner has the size to be a threat over the middle of the field.

chrispy

Reaction score
6' 6"... maybe Colby Parkinson catcher and Will Dissly blocker...???

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Harrrrrrbaaaaauuuggghhh
harbaugh GIF by SB Nation

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
At 6' 6" and only 251 lb., and just turning 22 y/o in a couple of weeks leaves Barner plenty of room to bulk up and better survive against NFL defenders.

I'm guessing that he'll enter the 2025 season closer to 265 lb.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Complementary piece to Fant. I'm starting to feel the vibe Seattle is putting out in regards to the run game.

Seattle looking like they want to smash you in the teeth (on both sides of the ball).
Side note, I'm all in on Black/Green DX Seattle unis. Only if the team is all in on being the heel.

Zybot

Reaction score
Much like quarterback J.J. McCarthy, Michigan didn't feature tight end AJ Barner as much as NFL evaluators would have liked because of its run-first approach on offense.
Michigan's scheme did help Barner show that he's a legitimate Y tight end with in-line blocking ability. However, he might have significant untapped potential as a receiver after catching only 22 passes for 249 yards during the program's national championship run this past season.
"McCarthy was asked which Michigan player was poised to make a bigger impact at the next level than people expected, and he cited tight end AJ Barner," ESPN's Adam Schefter reported.
At 6'6" and 251 pounds, Barner has the size to be a threat over the middle of the field.
So I have actually watched a lot of tape on him. Didn’t know anything about him before watching him. I saw him make quick breaks and face the QB ready to catch the ball. They just didn’t throw it to him that much. But when they did he was more than capable of catching the ball. Not a lot of YAC but I could see him this year being in a lots of 3rd down situations either as a blocker or an outlet and I think he would do well in that role at the NFL level. Anything more than that is a bonus

BigMeach

Reaction score
So I have actually watched a lot of tape on him. Didn’t know anything about him before watching him. I saw him make quick breaks and face the QB ready to catch the ball. They just didn’t throw it to him that much. But when they did he was more than capable of catching the ball. Not a lot of YAC but I could see him this year being in a lots of 3rd down situations either as a blocker or an outlet and I think he would do well in that role at the NFL level. Anything more than that is a bonus
I completely agree. I went back and watched tape from him before he transferred to Michigan and he made some incredible catches. One where he out mans the defender and catches the ball around his body/head literally holding the ball behind the defenders back. He has tons of agility for a guy that size.

Rat

Reaction score
Said the Buckeye...AJ Barner is ranked higher than both of those guys and he's bigger than Stover. He's just as good a receiver as Stover but a significantly better blocker.
I've never had a problem drafting Michigan players before, I just wanted someone with more upside as a passing game weapon.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I've never had a problem drafting Michigan players before, I just wanted someone with more upside as a passing game weapon.
Nor do I have a problem with former Buckeyes being Seahawks, I like JSN and Dre'.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I like this pick a lot. I was hoping for one of the best blocking TEs in the draft. He also moved around a lot behind the LoS. He can probably do fullback-y stuff. He uses his body really well to box defenders out, and seems to hold on to the ball up and through getting hit by semi truck.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Said the Buckeye...AJ Barner is ranked higher than both of those guys and he's bigger than Stover. He's just as good a receiver as Stover but a significantly better blocker.
Stover was 74 spots ahead of Barner on the consensus board. I like Barner's fit better, but I don't know that he was ranked higher on an overall level.