Pete on Lock

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Anyone saying Lock is useless because of his past is really jumping the gun. The dude has less than 1.5 seasons worth of starting experience, he still have room to grow. Is it possible he'll be average this year? Sure, but it's also possible he does better than expected posting similar #'s RW did his rookie year. I think most of us would be happy with that kind of production.

Whereas Geno is a know quantity, he is who he is. I agree with those above, the Seahawks want Lock to win the job-- I want that. There little upside to starting Geno. It's important to see what Lock can do, if he's bad ok, fine, draft a new QB in 2023. If he's decent or actually good then I think he should be signed to a 3 year deal and have him compete with a drafted rookie next year for the starting spot. In any case I think this year will be very interesting. It will certainly be the most exciting Pre-season in recent memory.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
My assessment at this point is we're not in too bad of shape with 2 former high draft picks that have managed to stick in the league. I think the competition could bring the best out in both.

Meanwhile, do we have enough draft capital left to put together an offer for Tyler Huntley? Always compete.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Were any of these QBs that came back to be good after being underwhelming in the past decade?

Can we get any relevant examples?
Tannehill may be the only 1, and he played 2012 through 2017, when his ACL was torn. And he may have played much better than underwhelming in those early years.
Andrew Luck and RGIII were from Tannehill's draft.
Also, judging 2020 performance may have been more difficult, except for Justin Herbert.

Last edited:

Natethegreat

Reaction score
None of those QB's were as bad as Lock has been either. Lock has been pretty putrid so far. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to play better after three years of failure but the chances are incredibly slim.
By the way everyone making excuses for Lock about his coaches just remember Mayfield had 4 different coaches in 4 different years.
He did not have a stable environment and the Browns organization as a whole is a joke.

toffee

Reaction score
I am hoping, and prayed, and wishing a turn around of Lock just like Alex Smith. Smith was billed a bust after his first three years before he became a respected probowl QB.

Talked about a QB that suffered under defense minded HCs? annual new OCs? Having to learn new system every years from the rookie season onwards? Got three poor years? Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Alex Smith!!!

Pff:
2005: 1 TD, 11 INTs, (OC: Mike McCarthy)
2006: 16 TDs, 16 INTs, 49.5 PFF (OC: Norv Turner)
2007: 2 TDs, 4 INTs, 52 PFF (Jim Hostler replaced Turner as OC)
2008: -
2009: 18 TDs, 12 INTs, 71 PFF
2010: 14 TDs, 10 INTs, 60.9 PFF
2011: 17 TDs, 5 INTs, 81.4 PFF
2012: 13 TDs, 5 INTs, 71.5 PFF
2013: 23 TDs, 7 INTs, 68.6 PFF -- pro bowl
2014: 19 TDs, 6 INTs, 72.9 PFF
2015: 20 TDs, 7 INTs, 66.2 PFF
2016: 15 TDs, 8 INTs, 76 PFF -- pro bowl
2017: 26 TDs, 5 INTs, 79.6 PFF -- pro bowl --- NFL passer rating leader (2017)

From the stand point of being the wrong QB on the wrong team, Alex Smith and Drew Lock had something in common. Alex Smith was billed as a total failure and bust, so is Lock. Toffee the homer is wishing Lock could pull an Alex Smith! Turn his career around and goes to probowl just like Alex Smith.

Last edited:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Your first point is obvious and no organization has chosen to do so nor have I advocated for the Seahawks to take on his contract. I was merely using Mayfield as an example of a QB who has had more success than Lock and what teams are willing to give and comparing that with Lock. I just find Pete's statement disingenuous.
I guess we will find out next year if its Lock or the coaching that was bad. I wish Lock all the success in the world.
Great reply. SOrry I was a little pissy there, and thank you for responding on an even keel.

jeremiah

Reaction score
It is so funny watching all of you go so overboard in the other direction when you are talking out of your ***. What he did in Denver with very little support is no indication of what he (might) do here with a second chance. Stop being *** hats. I know for a fact (which is not true) all of you would not do any better at anything with a second chance. Your absolutes are just so typical of your ***** I know more then any body else agenda and it is so ******* tiresome.. Justs get over yourself!! Thank you for your time!!

edited for content breach of rules
I have zero expectations positive or negative. I can say I am excited for this next chapter in a Seahawk building a powerhouse team. RW was a hindrance because of his age, reluctance to be a Hawk, and the price of him playing. MY OPINION HERE, this team without a doubt will be better than last years team, and I see them winning 9 games, hopefully more if Lock pops, and Lucky Penny plays lights out like last year.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I want Lock to do well and succeed.

I have seen PC for waaaaaaay too long take on underperforming “project“ players and fail. I am so tired of this approach. Just take the head cheerleader to prom and quit taking the ugly ducklings that might one day turn out to be pretty but usually don’t.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
I want Lock to do well and succeed.

I have seen PC for waaaaaaay too long take on underperforming “project“ players and fail. I am so tired of this approach. Just take the head cheerleader to prom and quit taking the ugly ducklings that might one day turn out to be pretty but usually don’t.
:cry: