Penny & our RB situation

TraderGary

Reaction score
A lot of people have been worried about our RB situation if Carson walks, which I believe he will. It seems most have already determined that Penny is a bust and not a viable option as a feature back for 2021 and beyond.

But since the Waldron hire, I've been saying to anyone that will listen that I believe Penny is a great fit for a McVay/Waldron type scheme, even more so than CC would be. Based on the responses or lack thereof from my posts on the subject, it seems I'm pretty much the only one in this forum that feels that way.

Well Corbin Smith just did a piece on our RB situation, and this is what he had to say about Penny;

……Though he has been a bust to this point due to his durability issues, Penny has shown brief flashes of his first-round talent. Before injuring his knee late in the 2019 season, he rushed for a career-best 129 yards against the Eagles and posted 100-plus all-purpose yards in a win over the Vikings in consecutive weeks, showcasing his playmaking skills with three touchdowns in those contests, including a 58-yard touchdown run in Philadelphia.

Dating back to his time at San Diego State, Penny has been at his best running the ball from under center formations, something Waldron likely will incorporate more into Seattle's arsenal using 11 and 12 personnel groupings. Since being drafted, he's found his greatest success using his speed running off tackle, which should make him an ideal candidate to thrive in Waldron's wide-zone, stretch oriented attack.

……with quality blockers in front, Penny still has the potential to be an electric playmaker if healthy……

https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1365749315948273664

Prior to getting injured in 2019, Penny was performing at a very high level, and in an offensive scheme that really wasn't suited to his strengths. Under Waldron, that should change.

I'm not predicting Penny is going to be the next Walter Payton, but I think most of you are prematurely discounting him as a viable option. He's never really been given an opportunity to show what he can do. His carries and time on the field has been very sporadic, even when healthy. No RB in the game can get into any type of rhythm in that situation. If given the opportunity, I think he's going to be much better than most think, as long as Carroll doesn’t try to turn him into a ground and pound type RB in the Carson or Lynch mold.

I know I’m very much in the minority here, and if I'm wrong, you can all throw virtual rotten tomatoes at me. :lol: But am I the only one here that feels this way?

I think Penny and Collins will be a solid duo, and I think they will pick up someone else, probably a cap casualty (of which there should be a number to choose from) off the waiver wire for depth. I haven't seen anything from Dallas or Homer that instills confidence in me, although Dallas probably deserves a pass since there was no preseason last year.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
TraderGary":t9u5qgxs said:
A lot of people have been worried about our RB situation if Carson walks, which I believe he will. It seems most have already determined that Penny is a bust and not a viable option as a feature back for 2021 and beyond.

But since the Waldron hire, I've been saying to anyone that will listen that I believe Penny is a great fit for a McVay/Waldron type scheme, even more so than CC would be. Based on the responses or lack thereof from my posts on the subject, it seems I'm pretty much the only one in this forum that feels that way.

Well Corbin Smith just did a piece on our RB situation, and this is what he had to say about Penny;

……Though he has been a bust to this point due to his durability issues, Penny has shown brief flashes of his first-round talent. Before injuring his knee late in the 2019 season, he rushed for a career-best 129 yards against the Eagles and posted 100-plus all-purpose yards in a win over the Vikings in consecutive weeks, showcasing his playmaking skills with three touchdowns in those contests, including a 58-yard touchdown run in Philadelphia.

Dating back to his time at San Diego State, Penny has been at his best running the ball from under center formations, something Waldron likely will incorporate more into Seattle's arsenal using 11 and 12 personnel groupings. Since being drafted, he's found his greatest success using his speed running off tackle, which should make him an ideal candidate to thrive in Waldron's wide-zone, stretch oriented attack.

……with quality blockers in front, Penny still has the potential to be an electric playmaker if healthy……

Prior to getting injured in 2019, Penny was performing at a very high level, and in an offensive scheme that really wasn't suited to his strengths. Under Waldron, that should change.

I'm not predicting Penny is going to be the next Walter Payton, but I think most of you are prematurely discounting him as a viable option. He's never really been given an opportunity to show what he can do. His carries and time on the field has been very sporadic, even when healthy. No RB in the game can get into any type of rhythm in that situation. If given the opportunity, I think he's going to be much better than most think, as long as Carroll doesn’t try to turn him into a ground and pound type RB in the Carson or Lynch mold.

I know I’m very much in the minority here, and if I'm wrong, you can all throw virtual rotten tomatoes at me. :lol: But am I the only one here that feels this way?

I think Penny and Collins will be a solid duo, and I think they will pick up someone else, probably a cap casualty (of which there should be a number to choose from) off the waiver wire for depth. I haven't seen anything from Dallas or Homer that instills confidence in me, although Dallas probably deserves a pass since there was no preseason last year.
Penny is not the guy. Carroll is going to draft his next work horse RB this year.

Forthewin

Reaction score
The RB position is so simple to figure out, its ridiculas! Every 7 years, draft the best running back in the class who is enormous and is very fast.
Harris from Alabama can be had late in the 1st

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":dfpb5iuq said:
TraderGary":dfpb5iuq said:

Penny is not the guy. Carroll is going to draft his next work horse RB this year.
Nope, not gonna happen. Too many other holes to fill, particularly on the OL and secondary, and not much draft capital.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Hawks2022":312x1njj said:
The RB position is so simple to figure out, its ridiculas! Every 7 years, draft the best running back in the class who is enormous and is very fast.
Apparently you forgot that we don't have a 1st this year or next, barring a blockbuster trade.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Collins will start ahead of Penny if Carson goes.

chris98251

Reaction score
Apparently he also forgot that about 70 percent of the offense will be the same and the rest can be run if Pete says ok and when if can be run if Pete says ok.

knownone

Reaction score
Penny has the talent, and he's a perfect fit in Waldron's scheme. The problem is he's shown both positive and negative flashes. There are times where he looks like prime Alexander with his vision in the open field. And others where he looks like 30 year-old Alexander falling down in the backfield.

I still believe he can be an elite RB in the league. But I don't think any of us are going to hold our breath on that outcome happening.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
knownone":3n1b6p7t said:
Penny has the talent, and he's a perfect fit in Waldron's scheme. The problem is he's shown both positive and negative flashes. There are times where he looks like prime Alexander with his vision in the open field. And others where he looks like 30 year-old Alexander falling down in the backfield.

I still believe he can be an elite RB in the league. But I don't think any of us are going to hold our breath on that outcome happening.
I think that's a fair assessment. I just think he should be given the opportunity in an offensive scheme that is more tailored to his skillset. In the past, PC has tried to turn him into something he's not, a carbon copy of CC and ML, bouncing off tacklers. That's just not who he is. Penny is great on the edges and in space, something that should play very well in Waldron's schemes.

He should be fully recovered from his knee injury and I'm anxious to see what he can do in the new scheme.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Hawks2022":31c3zuqb said:

Yes, they need a RB in the draft, IMO.

Carson may be gone and Penny will never pan out.

hinton

Reaction score
I hope you're right about Penny. He's shown talent in flashed but hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Fingers-crossed Waldren brings the schematic approach and misdirection that worked so well for the Rams. If we can get defenders to hesitate for a split-second Penny's explosiveness could be absolutely lethal.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2uoqpf57 said:
Collins will start ahead of Penny if Carson goes.
Don't be ridiculous.

I was a big Penny truther forever. But the ball is in his court. He needs to show up. I doubt they pick up his 5th year option, so he needs to prove his worth.

xray

Reaction score
Penny is 3rd on the depth chart and should of been a 3rd round draft pick at best . Not close to a 1st round pick . IMO

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Penny is a big fat BUST. 3 years in and he hasn't even cracked 850 rushing yards - TOTAL. He was a bust the second he was drafted instead of Chubb.

"But over three years he has had 3 good games."
"I saw him make 3-4 good runs."

Great. A random UDFA would have done better. Heck, Collins had more yards in 2017 than Penny has in his 3 year "career".

Don't worry, Penny wont get cut. Oft Injured around the end RBs don't get get. (think Procisse)

ducks41468

Reaction score
Penny is the new Procise. Has that one good game every season that keeps him from getting cut but ultimately will never make an impact. The miss on the Penny pick will hurt us this year with Carson likely gone.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Penny has had time and time again to take the reigns and be the “guy” but he has time and time again shown he cannot seize any opportunities. Carson kept winning the touches.

And when Penny played, he can barely put together of back to back games without getting hurt.

Penny is not the guy. He’s just about as much of the guy as Prosise was. You thought he was/talented but he just doesn’t see the field because he cannot stay on the field.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
TraderGary":2u6798rz said:
knownone":2u6798rz said:

I think that's a fair assessment. I just think he should be given the opportunity in an offensive scheme that is more tailored to his skillset. In the past, PC has tried to turn him into something he's not, a carbon copy of CC and ML, bouncing off tacklers. That's just not who he is. Penny is great on the edges and in space, something that should play very well in Waldron's schemes.

He should be fully recovered from his knee injury and I'm anxious to see what he can do in the new scheme.
Carroll’s offensive line isn’t built to play with what you believe are Penny’s strengths.

Carroll’s offensive line is all vanilla and really is a wait for this hole here to be open and then go.

Penny doesn’t have great vision and doesn’t understand when to hit a hole.

Penny plays primarily off instinct and athletic ability and Carroll’s offensive line, with the OL coach, you must understand what gaps will be open for a second and you must hit that hole at that time.

Penny is incapable of understanding when the front side or back side gaps will open and then go.

He hasn’t shown anything to give confidence he can be the premier back.

He just isn’t.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Penny has the talent, but his career has been so heavily derailed by injuries that it'd be best to pretend he isn't there and enjoy the brief spark he provides whenever he comes back.

We didn't just hire Waldron at OC... we hired Dickerson to coordinate the run game. A zone rushing attack is gonna make most running backs with decent vision look pretty good.

I'm not panicking. Late round/UDFA and free agent bodies at the spot, and roll with it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Hawks2022":317rfjvx said:

Imagine thinking you'd have to spend a first rounder to get a quality running back. Gag.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's a pretty good RB class this year. With Seahawk styled RBs (5'10' - 220+) sprinkled fairly liberally in late day two to mid day 3.

I like the tier 2/3 backs in this class. No urgent need to overpay in terms of draft stock.

If you come out with Penny/Collins/Dallas and a day 3 guy in this class, you can put together a decent enough stable of backs.

It's worth noting, the both Dallas and Parkinson at TE really were hurt by the lack of TC and rookie camp reps. Not only did they miss those, but also due to the lack of camp, missed out on opportunity during the season since teams had to get starters prepped with little to no practice as well.

I'd expect quite a few of last year's class to have a chance to emerge (Swain, Parkinson, Dallas, Taylor). And I especially hope that Robinson makes an improvement on his day to day reps. Because he really flashed consistently in very limited game reps. I suspect the staff didn't fully trust him -- and that would have been expected since he was a rookie, came in raw to begin with, and just didn't have the ability to make his TC mistakes so that he could improve and earn the trust.

Overall, the RB room doesn't need a tier 1 talent to be successful. Not the way this class is shaping up.