Penny & our RB situation

Forthewin

Reaction score
5.1 yards is Penny's average (Better than Carson). That is a worthy 1st round draft pick IMO. Lack of touches is on the coaches and injuries happen. Get him healthy!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Own The West":19sadf18 said:
Collins was still learning the game his first stint here. He couldn't pass pro. He'd stop behind the line instead of hitting the hole. Played out of control, got tripped up by arm tackles. Gave up too many negative plays.

Pretty common for rookies.

He seemed to learn all of that in the very next season in Baltimore though. Thats a pretty quick learning curve. Wonder how that could have happened.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":22lof713 said:
Thepeelsessions":22lof713 said:
pittpnthrs":22lof713 said:
Collins will start ahead of Penny if Carson goes.
Don't be ridiculous.

I was a big Penny truther forever. But the ball is in his court. He needs to show up. I doubt they pick up his 5th year option, so he needs to prove his worth.

Not being ridiculous at all. Collins is a proven back in the league that runs hard and will pick up the short yardage when needed. What has Penny done so far,,,,,,,,nothing. Its great you think this season will be Pennys turning point, but it wont be.

Well you're not wrong. Yes, Collins is a proven career 4.2 YPC plodder. Not discounting his hard running, he does and is physical. But he leaves a lot to be desired, and is not a difference making RB.

Not once did I say this will be Penny's turning point.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3uv67zob said:
pittpnthrs":3uv67zob said:
Thepeelsessions":3uv67zob said:
pittpnthrs":3uv67zob said:
Collins will start ahead of Penny if Carson goes.
Don't be ridiculous.

I was a big Penny truther forever. But the ball is in his court. He needs to show up. I doubt they pick up his 5th year option, so he needs to prove his worth.

Not being ridiculous at all. Collins is a proven back in the league that runs hard and will pick up the short yardage when needed. What has Penny done so far,,,,,,,,nothing. Its great you think this season will be Pennys turning point, but it wont be.

Well you're not wrong. Yes, Collins is a proven career 4.2 YPC plodder. Not discounting his hard running, he does and is physical. But he leaves a lot to be desired, and is not a difference making RB.

So what are you referring to in your post. You told me that i'm ridiculous for saying Collins would start over Penny (who hasent done anything in the league yet) while adding the ball is in his court. If this season isnt Pennys turning point, what is it? You seemed convinced that he will be the starter if Carson leaves and things stay the way they are, but why? All Penny is and will ever be is a change of pace back in the league.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3uriauas said:
Thepeelsessions":3uriauas said:
pittpnthrs":3uriauas said:
Thepeelsessions":3uriauas said:
Don't be ridiculous.

So what are you referring to in your post. You told me that i'm ridiculous for saying Collins would start over Penny (who hasent done anything in the league yet) while adding the ball is in his court. If this season isnt Pennys turning point, what is it? You seemed convinced that he will be the starter if Carson leaves and things stay the way they are, but why? All Penny is and will ever be is a change of pace back in the league.

I think it is totally ridiculous that you are saying Collins will start over Penny because of how much uncertainty there is at the position for this team right now. Are you the coach?

And yes, I do hope Penny shows up this year. I'd love to see what a healthy Penny can do as starting RB with extended carries. That doesn't mean I'm convinced he'll succeed. He's been nothing but injury prone for his professional career thus far. But when he's gotten carries, he's looked like the most explosive back this team has had in a long time.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1bx794la said:
pittpnthrs":1bx794la said:
Thepeelsessions":1bx794la said:
pittpnthrs":1bx794la said:

I think it is totally ridiculous that you are saying Collins will start over Penny because of how much uncertainty there is at the position for this team right now. Are you the coach?

And yes, I do hope Penny shows up this year. I'd love to see what a healthy Penny can do as starting RB with extended carries. That doesn't mean I'm convinced he'll succeed. He's been nothing but injury prone for his professional career thus far. But when he's gotten carries, he's looked like the most explosive back this team has had in a long time.

Sure there's uncertainty but if its between the two of them when the season starts, Collins will win that battle. I dont think there's anyway Penny could handle 20 carries a game. If they are the Hawks two main running backs going into next season, I see Collins starting (like Carson) and Penny coming in as the secondary, change of pace back. Honestly though, they are most likely to bring in a bum like Hyde or Davis again to alleviate the carries even more. They almost have to. Seahawk RBs are hurt constantly.

toffee

Reaction score
In the coming season, without our HOF qb Russ, running game will be paramount! Penny and company simply doesn't inspire confidence or fear into opposing team.

With some game manager anchoring as QB, we better invest in the running corp.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

olyfan63

Reaction score
TraderGary":1fk9u643 said:
knownone":1fk9u643 said:
Penny has the talent, and he's a perfect fit in Waldron's scheme. The problem is he's shown both positive and negative flashes. There are times where he looks like prime Alexander with his vision in the open field. And others where he looks like 30 year-old Alexander falling down in the backfield.

I still believe he can be an elite RB in the league. But I don't think any of us are going to hold our breath on that outcome happening.
I think that's a fair assessment. I just think he should be given the opportunity in an offensive scheme that is more tailored to his skillset. In the past, PC has tried to turn him into something he's not, a carbon copy of CC and ML, bouncing off tacklers. That's just not who he is. Penny is great on the edges and in space, something that should play very well in Waldron's schemes.

He should be fully recovered from his knee injury and I'm anxious to see what he can do in the new scheme.

Thanks for starting this thread. I concur that Penny should be a much better fit in the McVay-style offense we hope to see this year. His speed getting wide, and home run speed can keep a defense honest. Maybe he'll be used to his strengths.