Patchwork O-line vs. Indy Front 7

OffensivelyPC

Reaction score
Colts fan here. I'll try and give you a little bit of what I know.

I'll omit Mathis and Redding since they have been discussed plenty. Some of the other Big Uglies:

Josh Chapman DT - Drafted and sat out all last year with an injury. So this year, while not technically, is de facto his rookie year. He's much better in the run than he is in the pass. He'll plug holes like it's no ones business. But while you may not be able to push him back in run blocking, he's probably not going to givey ou much push in pass blocking.

Aubrayo Franlkin DT - This is our pass rush DT and will be used more in passing situations. He's average in the run and decent in the pass game. 6 years ago, in this defense, he might have been much more explosive. While he's past his prime, he's still going to make some plays here nad there.

Ricky Jean-Francois RE - He can play interchangeably between DT and RE, and he's a fairly solid player. Since he is a better pass rusher than Franklin, we've been known to move RJF to DT and put Moalia at RE at times. Unfortunately, he's been out, but hopefully he makes his return.

Now the Linebackers

Jerrell Freeman/Pat Angerer ILB - I'll discuss these two at the same time since their strengths and weaknesses are pretty much the same. Both are very quick ILBs and strong in the run game. It's not too often that a run up the middle goes for a big gain against these two guys. Where they are very vulnerable is against a solid TE. They can handle average and even good TEs. They are smart in coverage. But against guys like Graham, or Jordan Cameron, we will struggle. Their speed helps them in coverage, but they aren't stopping guys that have a good 4-6 inches on them with an extra 6 or 8 cumulative inches for arm span and vertical jump.

Erik Walden LB (Sam) - We've had so many arguments about this guy it's not even funny. In one camp, they point to his production statwise and point out a couple of plays where he gets beat. The other camp talks about how well he sets the edge and turns the guy inside. In truth, he's somewhere in the middle. He is good at setting the edge, but he can be undisplined at times. That being said, he'll get the job done more often than not in the run game. Pass rush, I'm not convinced he'll do much other than get a little bit of a pushand hope someone else makes the sack. To his defense, he's been close several times, but we've faced 3 very mobile QBs thus far. Doesn't fall back in pass coverage too incredibly often, but when he does, he's been competent.

Hope this gives you a little insight. Quit frankly, our run game is better than the statistics suggest. It looks bad primarily for two reasons. The first is Oakland. They didn't do much of anything with McFadden, but Pryor ripped off 100 yards by bailing on the pass in the first instant. It being our first game of the season and against a read-option QB, we were doomed to give up a ton of yards on the ground. Second was the second drive against hte 49ers. Yeah, we gave up the yards, so it's not really anexcuse so much as it's giving a little context to the numbers. Out of their 115 yards rushing, they got 89 of them on one drive on like 8 rush attempts. Take out that drive, and it was like 15 attempts for 22 yards or something. I'm hazy on the exact numbers scuz I've drank since then. But since that second drive of the 49ers game, we've shut teh run down. I don't want to crown us a great rush defense early, but how we do Sunday will go a long way in making my mind up as to whether we really are a good rush defense or just a good one that plays great against good teams and not elite teams.

GOSeahawks

Reaction score
I have a feeling, yeh a feeling they are going play well this week. We may see Unger back.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I don't know about his work ethic, but Redding just seems built for a 3-4. He never really looked comfortable playing on a 4 man line here IIRC. He wasn't a 3 tech, he wasn't an end... he was just kind of... there. But Jim Mora Jr. sucked fish balls, so he probably didn't use him properly.

We're still pretty nicked up on the O-line, so I'm not going to walk with a swagger (because I'm a cowardly Canadain according to Pe) but i'm not too concerned with fending off the pass rush against Indy. Houston gave us fits, but we managed to overcome that and Indy doesn't have nearly the personnel that they did. I think if we can manage to keep Mathis in check (which will be a tall order for McQ admittedly), the rest should fall into place. I don't think we dominate them, but we survive. If they can keep Russ clean for a few seconds, he can do the rest...

Speaking of McQ though, I can see us keeping Zack in to double Mathis with regularity. Aldon Smith gave McQ a lot of trouble when Okung went down, and Mathis has similar quickness out of a similar scheme. Speaking of Mathis though, i think his stats need to be taken with a grain of MSG. Yes he has 7.5 sacks, but he got 3 of those against the lowly Jags. That's like 1 sack against a normal team.

OffensivelyPC

Reaction score
CANHawk":3e0ke0md said:
I don't know about his work ethic, but Redding just seems built for a 3-4. He never really looked comfortable playing on a 4 man line here IIRC. He wasn't a 3 tech, he wasn't an end... he was just kind of... there. But Jim Mora Jr. sucked fish balls, so he probably didn't use him properly.

We're still pretty nicked up on the O-line, so I'm not going to walk with a swagger (because I'm a cowardly Canadain according to Pe) but i'm not too concerned with fending off the pass rush against Indy. Houston gave us fits, but we managed to overcome that and Indy doesn't have nearly the personnel that they did. I think if we can manage to keep Mathis in check (which will be a tall order for McQ admittedly), the rest should fall into place. I don't think we dominate them, but we survive. If they can keep Russ clean for a few seconds, he can do the rest...

Speaking of McQ though, I can see us keeping Zack in to double Mathis with regularity. Aldon Smith gave McQ a lot of trouble when Okung went down, and Mathis has similar quickness out of a similar scheme. Speaking of Mathis though, i think his stats need to be taken with a grain of MSG. Yes he has 7.5 sacks, but he got 3 of those against the lowly Jags. That's like 1 sack against a normal team.
While I don't think that our pass rush matches yours, I will say that we are good enough to break through if you only focus on Mathis. He's our big rusher, so yeah, give him the most attention. I know you're not suggesting double team him every play 100% of the time, so please don't think I'm trying to be insulting. Just merely stating that while Mathis should be the primary target, Carroll would be remiss in his duties as HC to focus solely on Mathis. If you can find a way to shut Mathis down with only one blocker, this game is over early.

HawkWow

Reaction score
OffensivelyPC":35uh2fq8 said:
Colts fan here. I'll try and give you a little bit of what I know.

I'll omit Mathis and Redding since they have been discussed plenty. Some of the other Big Uglies:

Josh Chapman DT - Drafted and sat out all last year with an injury. So this year, while not technically, is de facto his rookie year. He's much better in the run than he is in the pass. He'll plug holes like it's no ones business. But while you may not be able to push him back in run blocking, he's probably not going to givey ou much push in pass blocking.

Aubrayo Franlkin DT - This is our pass rush DT and will be used more in passing situations. He's average in the run and decent in the pass game. 6 years ago, in this defense, he might have been much more explosive. While he's past his prime, he's still going to make some plays here nad there.

Ricky Jean-Francois RE - He can play interchangeably between DT and RE, and he's a fairly solid player. Since he is a better pass rusher than Franklin, we've been known to move RJF to DT and put Moalia at RE at times. Unfortunately, he's been out, but hopefully he makes his return.

Now the Linebackers

Jerrell Freeman/Pat Angerer ILB - I'll discuss these two at the same time since their strengths and weaknesses are pretty much the same. Both are very quick ILBs and strong in the run game. It's not too often that a run up the middle goes for a big gain against these two guys. Where they are very vulnerable is against a solid TE. They can handle average and even good TEs. They are smart in coverage. But against guys like Graham, or Jordan Cameron, we will struggle. Their speed helps them in coverage, but they aren't stopping guys that have a good 4-6 inches on them with an extra 6 or 8 cumulative inches for arm span and vertical jump.

Erik Walden LB (Sam) - We've had so many arguments about this guy it's not even funny. In one camp, they point to his production statwise and point out a couple of plays where he gets beat. The other camp talks about how well he sets the edge and turns the guy inside. In truth, he's somewhere in the middle. He is good at setting the edge, but he can be undisplined at times. That being said, he'll get the job done more often than not in the run game. Pass rush, I'm not convinced he'll do much other than get a little bit of a pushand hope someone else makes the sack. To his defense, he's been close several times, but we've faced 3 very mobile QBs thus far. Doesn't fall back in pass coverage too incredibly often, but when he does, he's been competent.

Hope this gives you a little insight. Quit frankly, our run game is better than the statistics suggest. It looks bad primarily for two reasons. The first is Oakland. They didn't do much of anything with McFadden, but Pryor ripped off 100 yards by bailing on the pass in the first instant. It being our first game of the season and against a read-option QB, we were doomed to give up a ton of yards on the ground. Second was the second drive against hte 49ers. Yeah, we gave up the yards, so it's not really anexcuse so much as it's giving a little context to the numbers. Out of their 115 yards rushing, they got 89 of them on one drive on like 8 rush attempts. Take out that drive, and it was like 15 attempts for 22 yards or something. I'm hazy on the exact numbers scuz I've drank since then. But since that second drive of the 49ers game, we've shut teh run down. I don't want to crown us a great rush defense early, but how we do Sunday will go a long way in making my mind up as to whether we really are a good rush defense or just a good one that plays great against good teams and not elite teams.

Aubrayo?!?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawker84":3o0fckzm said:
They are no better than Carolina, SF, or Texans so what's the worry? matter of fact they're not as good as any of those we've already faced WHEN WE STILL HAD OKUNG, UNGER AND BRENO, but an O-lineman is an O-lineman. There should be no dropoff in play. Bring it on Indy....

Fixed. ;-)

CANHawk

Reaction score
OffensivelyPC":n7r6887v said:
CANHawk":n7r6887v said:

While I don't think that our pass rush matches yours, I will say that we are good enough to break through if you only focus on Mathis. He's our big rusher, so yeah, give him the most attention. I know you're not suggesting double team him every play 100% of the time, so please don't think I'm trying to be insulting. Just merely stating that while Mathis should be the primary target, Carroll would be remiss in his duties as HC to focus solely on Mathis. If you can find a way to shut Mathis down with only one blocker, this game is over early.

Nope, not suggesting that at all. i'm just saying that Mathis is probably the one that requires the most "special attention" due to our Pro Bowl LT being out. If Okung was in it'd be business as usual. I think McQ will just need a chip block here or there from the TE to keep Mathis from running away from him.

But other than that nobody is all that scary. Nothing a few rollouts and the magic feet of Mr. Wilson won't be able to handle...

Latest posts