Pass rush

emurri

Reaction score
The area on our team that I am most excited to see improved this year is the pass rush. I want to see how Dan Quinn’s vision of pressure is different than Bradley’s. Will Quinn blitz more? Will we see (more/different) exotic formations? Most importantly, will we be able to get to the quarterback on a consistent basis? I am really excited to see the players we have brought in perform. I think we have the makings of a killer pass rush because of the players we have to get into the backfield and the coach staff’s ability to put players in the best position. I like how guys can be moved around, one play lining up in one place/position, the next play be somewhere completely different. Just think how much deadlier our corner backs will be with sustained pressure on the quarterback? I think next to Russell Wilson and the running game, pass rush is the most important area for us to win games.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
emurri":2kt1betr said:
The area on our team that I am most excited to see improved this year is the pass rush. I want to see how Dan Quinn’s vision of pressure is different than Bradley’s.

To start with, he actually has multiple pass rushers to play with this year!

Thank you, John Schneider.

OP
OP
emurri

emurri

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2gsjc7po said:
emurri":2gsjc7po said:
The area on our team that I am most excited to see improved this year is the pass rush. I want to see how Dan Quinn’s vision of pressure is different than Bradley’s.

I agree and think it will be a huge reason why we improve in this area, providing they all stay healthy or get healthy.

I could picture pressure coming from every level of our defense and that is one of the reasons I am so excited to see them get to work in games.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
can you imagine how dominant the LOB is going to be with a legit pass rush? Teams that can't run are going to get feasted upon.

12thMan1

Reaction score
bestfightstory":4rquv58e said:
emurri":4rquv58e said:

Maybe they'll be a formation that features, Clemons, Irvin, Bennett and Avril! :D

dbsn2420

Reaction score
The other day at practice I was watching the D line drills against the O-line. After each play instead of simply jogging back, these guys were sprinting back so the next group up could start. I didn't notice that emphasis last season during training camp. If this D-line is able to create havoc in the passing game a step or two better then last season, the LOB and this D is going to be off the charts scary!

Giedi

Reaction score
I don't think Dan Quinn will have problems in the pass defense/pass rush department, it's in stopping the run that he's had problems with.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Mebane, Big Red, and Jesse Williams and the guy from Miami will be a sufficient run-stopping unit.

Please please please let the fated align so we can see a pass rush of Abril and Clemons at end. Hill and Bennett at DT and Irvin blitzing.

Pleaaaaaaaaaase!!!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3e07ravk said:
can you imagine how dominant the LOB is going to be with a legit pass rush? Teams that can't run are going to get feasted upon.
Red Bryant's foot is healthy again and he's got more stamina due to getting his sleep apnea addressed. People aren't going to be able to run OR pass on us. Historic defense incoming. :D

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I agree with the OP....I have to admit that the eventual thought of a (say) a 5-man rush consisting of Bennett and Hill/Howard inside, Clemons and Avril on the ends, and Irvin shooting whatever gap is left from a 2-point stance, is a salivating notion.

A

Anonymous

I have a feeling that emphasis has been placed on both mental AND physical conditioning this year. Beyond the usual advancements in scheme, and player skills to fit the scheme, I believe the increased hustle we are observing is evidence of a hunger rooted in confidence. Knowing that they are all competing to be part of something special is just one part of it.

Perhaps the Harvin trade started it rolling, but you have got to believe that the guys already know what is going to happen and can't wait to find out how badass they will actually be.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
bestfightstory":9cp7o3df said:
Mebane, Big Red, and Jesse Williams and the guy from Miami will be a sufficient run-stopping unit.

Please please please let the fated align so we can see a pass rush of Abril and Clemons at end. Hill and Bennett at DT and Irvin blitzing.

Pleaaaaaaaaaase!!!

Oh, but haven't you heard? Jesse Williams isn't gonna make the roster, cuz he falls down and has toothpicks for legs. :stirthepot:

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Per FO, the Seahawks defense was #2 when they put pressure on the QB and #4 when they didn't. However, the DVOA was like -119 or something (negative is better) when they got pressure and 7.9 or so when they didn't. Thing is, they were a middling #15 when it came to actually getting pressure. So what we have is a defense that's stifling on pass plays either way, but mediocre at creating pass pressure. If we actually increase our pass pressure efficiency beyond 15th in the NFL to, say, top 10, this defense could be historically elite.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Pressure off the edge was not really that much of a problem IMO the problem to me was there was NO pressure up the gut so the QB's pretty much watched the DE's go by and step up in the pocket to make un-contested throw's. M. Bennett is going to do fine rushing the passer in nickel but the development of Jaye Howard, J.Hill and T. McDaniel is key to the base D's success this year gotta get pressure up the middle on 1st and 2nd down.