(OPINION) Wilson won't sign an extension this year unless

Tical21

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1s2t1teq said:
Tical21":1s2t1teq said:
Uncle Si":1s2t1teq said:
Tical21":1s2t1teq said:
45 makes sense. If he played hardball, that's about what he would make over the next 7 years. But he won't play that game.

45 doesnt make sense.

I think he will go after a competitive annual salary but his primary objective will be the guaranteed money
With that third franchise year being 50, and considering what he would go for on the open market, 45 would be in play.

Guarantees dont matter for quarterbacks.

Why wouldn't a guarantee matter to a qb?
Because no matter what happens, knee, concussions, achilles, degenerative neck injury, he isn't getting cut. He will see every dime of the contract.

Tical21

Reaction score
Fwiw, La Confora said the conversation starts at 45 APY. Again, I think Russ doesnt hold the team hostage, and simply signs for the highest amount ever, but he's leaving money on the table to do so.

Seymour

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":1m7ig6kn said:
Tical21":1m7ig6kn said:
Uncle Si":1m7ig6kn said:
Tical21":1m7ig6kn said:
45 makes sense. If he played hardball, that's about what he would make over the next 7 years. But he won't play that game.

45 doesnt make sense.

I think he will go after a competitive annual salary but his primary objective will be the guaranteed money
With that third franchise year being 50, and considering what he would go for on the open market, 45 would be in play.

Disagree, in no way does a 34% increase from the top QB salary APY (Aaron Rodgers at 33.5M) make sense. That would be a historic jump.

It is actually bigger than 34% when you consider Rodgers is a higher pay grade and higher rated QB to begin with. No, Russ is not far behind, but he's not Rodgers either.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm not sure many people still have Rodgers rated as better than Wilson. He has regressed terribly

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":1fitsp6v said:
I'm not sure many people still have Rodgers rated as better than Wilson. He has regressed terribly

Good sub topic. Last year yes he did, but QB's have good and bad years and I doubt Wilson has surpassed Rodgers if you were to ask 32 GM's who you'd pay more to.

Tical21

Reaction score
Seymour":oyln7xpc said:
Tical21":oyln7xpc said:

Good sub topic. Last year yes he did, but QB's have good and bad years and I doubt Wilson has surpassed Rodgers if you were to ask 32 GM's who you'd pay more to.
Probably fair, but not sure it matters. Top qb is top qb, and when it is your turn, you get the most. Rodgers could have gotten more. Cousins broke the model. As did this 3rd franchise tag.

nutluck

Reaction score
Just to add to this, the OP I am sure got it from the many articles now floating around talking about it. Many of them are saying he will get 40+ mil a average per year. This is all coming from the comment he made on the Jimmy Fallon show where when asked if he thought he would be the highest paid QB with his next contract his answer was.

"There's a great potential in that. We'll see what happens. ... It's not like it's gonna make me feel bad."

Since he said that there has been a number of articles popping up on the subject, as I mentioned above.

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":3abl6bgk said:
Seymour":3abl6bgk said:
Tical21":3abl6bgk said:

Probably fair, but not sure it matters. Top qb is top qb, and when it is your turn, you get the most. Rodgers could have gotten more. Cousins broke the model. As did this 3rd franchise tag.

Not the way it happened last time when Rodgers came up first then Wilson the next year got paid 100K per season less than Rodgers and for good reason IMO.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":3af3e8th said:
Uncle Si":3af3e8th said:
Tical21":3af3e8th said:
Uncle Si":3af3e8th said:
45 doesnt make sense.

Why wouldn't a guarantee matter to a qb?
Because no matter what happens, knee, concussions, achilles, degenerative neck injury, he isn't getting cut. He will see every dime of the contract.

Then why was Cousins the first qb to ever get his whole contract guaranteed?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
At this point, Wilson is better than Rodgers.

But damn, 45 million per year?!!!

I hope we can get more than 4 draft picks when Wilson is paid.

Seahawks gonna need all the cheap players they can get!

That's for damn sure!

Largent80

Reaction score
Unfortunately this year is a poor QB draft class. The only guy that fits is Grier for his long ball capabilities. He probably won't be available, so drafting a decent guy for development later on is difficult. The hope would have been to get a guy to develop, but now it seems RW needs to be signed for at least 3 more years and that is a huge cap number.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":2u6d1hzf said:
IndyHawk":2u6d1hzf said:
John63":2u6d1hzf said:
Good lord really, the OP makes up some BS story about Wilson wanting some large number. Something no one from Wilsons team has said, and we are acting like it is fact. Here is an idea why not wait till we have some idea what he is asking for. We went through this at his last contract, and guess what he ended up taking way less then some here thought he would. If he is within 10% of Rodgers his contract will look great by end of next year anyway, as others will get more. Oh wait I forget some here think we can win with Blak Bortles or some other journeymen QB. All we need to do is get our Defense to #1, make sure our run game does not suffer from no Wilson, and make sure Bortles or whoever can throw a great deep ball, keep plays alive, and be top 5 in efficiency while only throwing 25 times a game, be top 3 in comeback victories all while also being in the top 3 in hit, hurried, sacked or pressured in under 2.5 seconds. A snap that is why it has happened so many times before, NOT
Time for me to chime in :D
The OP did not exactly make anything up as we all saw his agent indicate RW is going
to make or pass AR's contract..
On his last contract .You could look through our posts on that and see he did get paid
more than a lot of us wanted..Hometown discount?Yeah sure..
Blake Bortles?Why would we need that?We need a great D with a game manager who
can throw the touch passes on screens,quick slants and over the medium middle.
The deep ball and more time to pass will follow if we have a good running game to go
with that.
Is it all that simple?probaly not but to say there isn't a QB alive that can do it for under
$20 million is silly..Today's game is so much easier for rookie QB's and average QB's
to come in and play without the traditional "he's going to suck"..

and again if it were that easy, it would get done every year and yet it does not. Also, the OP said 45 mil that is way more than what Rodgers got, and is a made up number as no place did anyone say that. As to your assertion of that being all we need, great but the fact show otherwise. Show me the last Rookie to win a SB? You mention this grand design for how we would do it, that is all great but again if it were that easy it would be getting done every year, but it is not. As to more time to pass if we have had a great run game, hello we had a great run game and the time to throw or great pass protection still has not come. Once again if it as simple as you say it would be done every year but it is not. If it is so simple for a rookie to come in and play one would have won an SB but they have not.

All that said the OP said "It's at least 45 plus million a year. " there is not a fact to support that and no one from Wilsons camp has said that, The number is way way more than Rodgers, and there for as I said a made up BS number.
I never said a rookie will win a SB for us but RW making $40-45 per is not either..
This grand design I mentioned involves a QB being able to Throw quick slants,screen passes and balls
over the middle on med routes.This will back the pass rush off some more..
These passes are not RW's strong points which every team knows and dares him to beat them deep.
I know we have the run game..The stuff above adds even more time

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Palmegranite":3pzzdi0a said:
KiwiHawk":3pzzdi0a said:
Palmegranite":3pzzdi0a said:
Pete Carroll also had back to back losing record seasons with Seattle until Russell Wilson arrived.

Then it was all winning seasons until present.
I know exactly what the missing puzzle piece was that brought all that success. It was Russell Wilson.
So you're saying 2 years is an excessive amount of time to turn around a team that went 4-12 and then 5-11? That Pete Carroll should have been able to win right away with that 5-11 squad? I mean, aside from taking it to the playoffs and beating the defending Super Bowl champions...
I'll answer with this question. Was it coach Zagallo, or was it Pelé? Was it coach Sather or was it Gretzky? Was it coach Stengel or was it DiMaggio?
Ok, you amused me. Let's take some all-time greats and ask if it was the coach or the all-time great. Ok, I can play that, too.

Was it Wilson, or was it arguably the greatest defense in NFL history?

Wait, who acquired/built both?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When someone asks me (who isn't a Hawks fan) if it was Pete, the Defense, Beast Mode or Russ. I just say "YES"

It has been all of those factors, along w/John and his talent evaluators, the coaches, all of it. They flat out don't make either Super Bowl w/out Russ, or w/out the Defense.

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":j8e6bkxp said:
John63":j8e6bkxp said:
IndyHawk":j8e6bkxp said:
John63":j8e6bkxp said:
Good lord really, the OP makes up some BS story about Wilson wanting some large number. Something no one from Wilsons team has said, and we are acting like it is fact. Here is an idea why not wait till we have some idea what he is asking for. We went through this at his last contract, and guess what he ended up taking way less then some here thought he would. If he is within 10% of Rodgers his contract will look great by end of next year anyway, as others will get more. Oh wait I forget some here think we can win with Blak Bortles or some other journeymen QB. All we need to do is get our Defense to #1, make sure our run game does not suffer from no Wilson, and make sure Bortles or whoever can throw a great deep ball, keep plays alive, and be top 5 in efficiency while only throwing 25 times a game, be top 3 in comeback victories all while also being in the top 3 in hit, hurried, sacked or pressured in under 2.5 seconds. A snap that is why it has happened so many times before, NOT
Time for me to chime in :D
The OP did not exactly make anything up as we all saw his agent indicate RW is going
to make or pass AR's contract..
On his last contract .You could look through our posts on that and see he did get paid
more than a lot of us wanted..Hometown discount?Yeah sure..
Blake Bortles?Why would we need that?We need a great D with a game manager who
can throw the touch passes on screens,quick slants and over the medium middle.
The deep ball and more time to pass will follow if we have a good running game to go
with that.
Is it all that simple?probaly not but to say there isn't a QB alive that can do it for under
$20 million is silly..Today's game is so much easier for rookie QB's and average QB's
to come in and play without the traditional "he's going to suck"..

and again if it were that easy, it would get done every year and yet it does not. Also, the OP said 45 mil that is way more than what Rodgers got, and is a made up number as no place did anyone say that. As to your assertion of that being all we need, great but the fact show otherwise. Show me the last Rookie to win a SB? You mention this grand design for how we would do it, that is all great but again if it were that easy it would be getting done every year, but it is not. As to more time to pass if we have had a great run game, hello we had a great run game and the time to throw or great pass protection still has not come. Once again if it as simple as you say it would be done every year but it is not. If it is so simple for a rookie to come in and play one would have won an SB but they have not.

All that said the OP said "It's at least 45 plus million a year. " there is not a fact to support that and no one from Wilsons camp has said that, The number is way way more than Rodgers, and there for as I said a made up BS number.
I never said a rookie will win a SB for us but RW making $40-45 per is not either..
This grand design I mentioned involves a QB being able to Throw quick slants,screen passes and balls
over the middle on med routes.This will back the pass rush off some more..
These passes are not RW's strong points which every team knows and dares him to beat them deep.
I know we have the run game..The stuff above adds even more time

But here is the thing who said 40-45mil? no one that would know has said that it could be just as easily 32-35mil. As to the rest of your post of the style of play that is not the WAY PC plays so unless you are thinking after PC leaves you barking up the wrong tree.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":bvztf887 said:
When someone asks me (who isn't a Hawks fan) if it was Pete, the Defense, Beast Mode or Russ. I just say "YES"

It has been all of those factors, along w/John and his talent evaluators, the coaches, all of it. They flat out don't make either Super Bowl w/out Russ, or w/out the Defense.

That I agree with

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Tical21":305el1ll said:
I wouldn't say that. The issue with Rodgers is he has been playing with bad injuries. Despite last season being an "off" year for him he threw for 4442 yards, 25 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions. I believe he broke the record for most attempts without an interception. What is remarkable is Rodgers threw the ball almost 600 times and only had two INTs. All of this with in-fighting and turmoil behind the scenes of the FO and coaching staff. This despite playing with a shoulder that wasn't 100 percent.

I don't think I would put Wilson over Rodgers. Rodgers is just the more complete package as a passer. He isn't as good at extending the play, but he is still one of the best in the league in that regard. That being said, his salary is a huge drag on the GB Packers. Especially since he has the tendency of getting banged up. He seems like he always has some sort of nagging injury. He is usually able to play through it, but it definitely affects his play, and availability at times. At some point he became a detriment, it's just really hard to field a competitive team when one player takes up that much of the salary cap.