OL 2022

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
What comes to mind are the INTs that Russ threw in a home playoff game against Green Bay.

At least two times Kearse should have caught the ball, which he didn't, and the passes were intercepted. There might have been a third. I don't recall exactly.

EDIT: I just went back and found out it was FOUR interceptions ALL thrown to Kearse. And the game was the NFC Championship game in 2014, which we won in OT on a TD pass to who else, Jermaine Kearse. lol
We're those INTs short middle of the field passes?

BASF

Reaction score
We're those INTs short middle of the field passes?
This is actually the wrong game, but you can see Wilson choosing not to throw to open underneath guys in a couple of plays.

Here is the game I believe is being referenced:

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
This is actually the wrong game, but you can see Wilson choosing not to throw to open underneath guys in a couple of plays.

Here is the game I believe is being referenced:

Thanks BASF!!!

Perfect for learning, I was John63 or like John63 at one point, but the more I watch the game, the further I drifted :)

RiverDog

Reaction score
I can’t recall us using the middle of the field (passing ofc) in I don’t know how long. Was that Russell’s inability to do so or PCs plan as far as taking care of the ball? Throws up the gut can be risky. Honest question…not trying to spark a debate. It’s just hard to tell…at least for me.

I could see Tyler lining up in the slot or Fant making some plays there. Eskridge? He’s certainly fast enough for a quick out but who knows about that guy.
That's a good question. I know that a lot of people don't like to hear about Russell's lack of height, but the fact that he was just 5'10" might have restricted his vision. He has to put more of an arc on the trajectory of his passes, and doing so in the middle of the field involves more risk than it does throwing to the sidelines.

Jville

Reaction score
^^^

Threads that start off addressing the offensive line typically end up being hijacked. And, here we are once again posting about the quarterback position.

So with regards to quarterback throwing tendencies, I think tendencies are a reflection of specific quarterback attributes. After all, an offensive play book is built around the starting quarterback.

In my eyes: Russell Wilson was a read and react ball handler. Russell Wilson threw best to his right. Then best rolling out or throwing cross field to his left. His muscle memory and footwork were already well advanced when he arrived in Seattle. Wilson was poorest at throwing over the middle.

As I recall: Matt Hasselbeck was better as a rhythm and timing ball handler. Matt was most effective throwing to his right. Then second best throwing over the middle of the field. And least effective throwing back to his left.

In my opinion: All offenses tend toward being built around the attributes of specific starting quarterbacks.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
^^^

Threads that start off addressing the offensive line typically end up being hijacked. And, here we are once again posting about the quarterback position.

So with regards to quarterback throwing tendencies, I think tendencies are a reflection of specific quarterback attributes. After all, an offensive play book is built around the starting quarterback.

In my eyes: Russell Wilson was a read and react ball handler. Russell Wilson threw best to his right. Then best rolling out or throwing cross field to his left. His muscle memory and footwork were already well advanced when he arrived in Seattle. Wilson was poorest at throwing over the middle.

As I recall: Matt Hasselbeck was better as a rhythm and timing ball handler. Matt was most effective throwing to his right. Then second best throwing over the middle of the field. And least effective throwing back to his left.

In my opinion: All offenses tend toward being built around the attributes of specific starting quarterbacks.
I think our OL's performance may head south before righting itself. Too many changes, too many new faces, I will gauge our OL after 10 games or so, I like to see improvements.