OL 2022

toffee

Reaction score
Our OL was one of the reasons why our former franchise QB left. Our OL 2022 is full of intrigue, we have two new tackles, a new center, a new OL coach, and new emphasis on zone blocking. Continuity is not our strength this year, guys have new schemes to learn, rookies to develop, and new QB to protect. even new RB with different running style.

Our OL 2021 wasn't great but they did give our former franchise QB a 2.4 seconds of pocket time, can our new 2022 OL do that? What if our QB can learn to rid the ball fast, and wouldn't need as much time?

Our new rookie tackles both excel with pass blocking in college, would that carry over pro? they both didn't have a record on run blocking, will our RBs enjoy the same as they did in 2021?

What's your opinion?

nwHawk

Reaction score
Lock is known for being difficult to sack. So color me optimistic.

Chawker

Reaction score
Two new Tackles, which is a improvement, the interior with a new center, will take some time to get refined, a rookie running back that I hope takes pass blocking and blitz pick up serious enough to be effective by season end. They'll work on there run blocking early in the season just to get K. Walker going.

By mid season we should see a improvement over last years team. But we must be patience.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Two new Tackles, which is a improvement, the interior with a new center, will take some time to get refined, a rookie running back that I hope takes pass blocking and blitz pick up serious enough to be effective by season end. They'll work on there run blocking early in the season just to get K. Walker going.

By mid season we should see a improvement over last years team. But we must be patience.
Patience, a must for all 12s. There will be lots of teething issues.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I'm optimistic but I don't expect immeadiate result from our rookie offensive linemen. The Speed of the NFL takes time to adjust to. I expect a couple of seasons of mediocre before we see vast improvement. I hope I'm wrong though.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I have been wondering if we have right guys for zone blocking? We now have a pair of athletic tackles, but our guards, are they the zone blocking type? Or they are more the maulers? I was very surprised that Hawks let Pocic walked. Thought he was doing alright run blocking wise and was cheap and serviceable.

nwHawk

Reaction score
This line should look way different. Another thing to consider is that the line will be able to stay on schedule a lot more. Lineman feed off consistency.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Homer will be playing a lot of minutes this season.

Scout

Reaction score
It entirely depends on how much of the short to intermediate field is utilized and if the starting QB takes advantage.

This will go a long way to help the OL with pass pro.

RiverDog

Reaction score
These tackles are going to be in for a rough beginning. Just take a look at the types of pass rushers they're going to be facing in the AFC West: The Chargers signed Kahlil Mack, the Raiders Chandler Jones, the Broncos Randy Gregory, plus Frank Clark of the Chiefs. Add that to playing the Rams and Niners with Aaron Donald and Nick Bosa twice and it could be a long year.

An offensive line plays as a unit and is reliant on both verbal and non verbal communication just like a QB and receiver. Two rookie bookends and a new center likely means that there's going to be a significant learning curve for our OL.

Mix

Reaction score
Year after Year Wilson seemed to hold the ball longer, along with not being as quick or "fast". That lead to increase sacks as well.

It's just how it seemed to me watching the games, metric may prove me wrong.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Our new rookie tackles both excel with pass blocking in college, would that carry over pro? they both didn't have a record on run blocking...
While Mississippi State's Pass/Rush ratio last year was 72:28 on average, Washington State's was way more balanced... 53:47 according to sports-reference.com so Abe has more experience than Charles in run-blocking but from a two-point stance instead of three.

I hope that the O-line stays healthy throughout the OTAs, TC and our three preseason games. They'll need the reps.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Just an observation: there are few interior linemen on the roster, considering training camp is coming up. I count 7.

And a couple of them are players many of us hoped would have been moved on from already.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think they made some great selections up front. Couple that with Walker and we could be in for a great surprise.

We certainly didn’t hurt ourselves this draft. With that said, patience and understanding that not every draftee adjusts to the pro game is something to be aware of.

I’m kind of thinking Lucas is going to be a beast…

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I think they made some great selections up front. Couple that with Walker and we could be in for a great surprise.

We certainly didn’t hurt ourselves this draft. With that said, patience and understanding that not every draftee adjusts to the pro game is something to be aware of.

I’m kind of thinking Lucas is going to be a beast…
Assuming that we will stay with zone blocking for a few years, we may have a pair of bookend that could be very good for our zone blocking. But I am not so sure about Damien Lewis, he's very good with run blocking but poor pass blocking; he's also a mauler, not sure if he will excel under zone blocking.

Same goes for Gabe Jackson, his draft report on WalterFootball said he was not a great fit for a zone scheme.

Why did we let Pocic go? He was made for zone scheme.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
I can’t recall us using the middle of the field (passing ofc) in I don’t know how long. Was that Russell’s inability to do so or PCs plan as far as taking care of the ball? Throws up the gut can be risky. Honest question…not trying to spark a debate. It’s just hard to tell…at least for me.

I could see Tyler lining up in the slot or Fant making some plays there. Eskridge? He’s certainly fast enough for a quick out but who knows about that guy.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I can’t recall us using the middle of the field (passing ofc) in I don’t know how long. Was that Russell’s inability to do so or PCs plan as far as taking care of the ball? Throws up the gut can be risky. Honest question…not trying to spark a debate. It’s just hard to tell…at least for me.
What comes to mind are the INTs that Russ threw in a home playoff game against Green Bay.

At least two times Kearse should have caught the ball, which he didn't, and the passes were intercepted. There might have been a third. I don't recall exactly.

EDIT: I just went back and found out it was FOUR interceptions ALL thrown to Kearse. And the game was the NFC Championship game in 2014, which we won in OT on a TD pass to who else, Jermaine Kearse. lol

Last edited: