Ok. QBOTF. Who/when/where/why & how?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fair enough. All that from just thinking it wouldn't have hurt a thing to put Lock in for the 4th quarter? Ok
And I never once have said he's better than Geno or would be. Not once.

I didn't think you did.

There's just nothing positive accomplished by putting Lock in a blowout game unless you're serious about making the switch at QB

Which Pete seems VERY far from making.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At some point, Lock is going to play. And then people will see how bad he is.

He played that one game, was terrible, and then one receiver(TE?) made an incredible play up the sideline. That was pretty much it. Lock isn't an upgrade, even when Geno is at his worst.

12forlife

Reaction score
I have a feeling after we get done with the 49er, Philly, Dallas run and we are around .500 we will get our chance to see what Lock has. Who gives a damn if it hurts Geno's feelings, or upsets him. Pete's about to lose this locker room he can't expect the team to stay locked and support the system, if rhe coaches are allowing Geno to keep turning the ball over multiple times a game. Not sure Lock is the answer, but you have to see what he's got in actual game reps? If he ain't got it then I release both of them pick up Cousins and draft a rookie.
I think Penix is ok, lack of scrambling skills concern me. I'm really starting to warm up to Jayden Daniels LSU.

Rat

Reaction score
Gardner Minshew and Baker Mayfield are both free agents after the season as well. Minshew especially should be looking for a new team given the Colts' commitment to Anthony Richardson

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
As far as Pete not putting Lock in to avoid any controversy, if Pete wants to avoid the controversy now then he'll have to deal with more controversy later unless Geno improves. If Geno keeps regressing then there will be real talk about moving on from him in the off-season. Getting Geno off the team is a much bigger deal than giving the backup some playing time.

Pete can eat a small turd today or a heaping handful of moldy crap later.

Wheetie

Reaction score

He played that one game, was terrible, and then one receiver(TE?) made an incredible play up the sideline. That was pretty much it. Lock isn't an upgrade, even when Geno is at his worst.
Your assertion is based on Lock's performance from 2 or more years ago. People said the same about Geno before last season and he played lights out the first part of the year. Not saying Lock would light it up, but I'm sure curious to see how much he might have grown by sitting this long. His athleticism is sure there, far beyond Geno's so everything else being equal, that may be enough to give him a solid edge to start at some point this season. Everyone bemoans Lock's propensity for turnovers, well that's exactly what they're getting from Gemo right now, but without the wheels which could be a huge asset in escapability and moving the chains with his legs.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score

Lock is a likely downgrade simply by virtue of almost all backups being a downgrade, but if so it would be an eye-opening indictment of the Seahawks QB situation.
If Geno is becoming bad and Lock is worse, what does that say about our QB situation?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Pete and John think highly of Drew Lock, so I am very curious what their long term vision for him is. He absolutely has the arm talent and athleticism to succeed as a starter and is being paid good back up money to stay, problem for him all the way back to college has been the mental part, so maybe these 2 years learning on the bench is exactly what he needed. I know JS was very high on him in the draft too and typically has an excellent eye for college QB's. Pete even mentioned yesterday he sees growth from him and how badly he wants to be out there, so I'll be interested if they view him as the heir or just trust him as the back up.

I doubt they have any chance on Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, there are QB needy teams drafting ahead of us who will sprint to the podium for them. Rattler/Penix/Nix/McCarthy are all in the next bucket, I don't know if any of them are NFL ready but all have starter traits for sure. I would think one of them would fall to the Seahawks pick, if JS feels strongly enough.

I wouldn't be shocked if JS really likes Spencer Rattler. He is an absolute monster as far as QB attributes go but has had such a bizarre college career after initially being locked in as a #1 pick that he may slide. Huge arm, tremendous accuracy, great feel in the pocket, excellent on the move to all areas of the field, athletic, has become a clear leader after being humbled at Oklahoma, etc. The talent level at SC is poor and in every major win, it's basically been Spencer dragging the team. I would be happy taking him if he were to fall in R1.
I think MAYBE he's "Trade-Bait", else Pete would have explored & displayed his upside in the last ass kicking by the Ravens Defensive game...The fact that Pete did NOT throw him to the Wolves in that game when ALL WAS LOST, tells me that he didn't want to expose him as an "Also Ran", and kill his trade value.
But hey, that's just my take.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Bo Nix isn't accurate enough on deeper throws. Not saying that because he's a Duck...though, it doesn't help.

Rat

Reaction score
I think MAYBE he's "Trade-Bait", else Pete would have explored & displayed his upside in the last ass kicking by the Ravens Defensive game...The fact that Pete did NOT throw him to the Wolves in that game when ALL WAS LOST, tells me that he didn't want to expose him as an "Also Ran", and kill his trade value.
But hey, that's just my take.
Lock can't be traded. It's after the deadline and he's a FA at the end of the season.

renofox

Reaction score
Escapabilty rating (pulled from ass):
Geno 40
Lock 80

Since the Seahawks O-line wavers between "sorta passable" and "sucks donkey balls", Lock is a much better fit than Geno.

Geno is probably the "better" QB, but he's never going to be consistently good here (unless you think PC has suddenly and magically figured out the O-line after nearly a decade of complete crap).

Unfortunately, once you go Lock you can never go back. Big Balls Pete was replaced by doppelganger Confused Ass Pete years ago. It will take a while for him to make the decision, if he ever does.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Geno is deservedly taking some heat this week after some bleh play against lesser teams but I think everyone should keep in perspective we just went up against two of the best defenses in football with STELLAR front 7's. The OL has played about as poorly as you can and Waldron is also getting deservedly roasted for calling horrendous game plans. The lack of 13 personnel with multiple TE's being utilized over the middle is borderline fireable against these teams. There is an above average QB in there when the team around him picks their play up.

That said - if the offense goes out and lays a dud against a very beatable Commanders team at home, some alarms should probably start going off. Following this weekend there are 3 very tough games in a row. That kind of negative momentum would put a promising season at risk.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Lock can't be traded. It's after the deadline and he's a FA at the end of the season.
Well then, for y'all Geno Haters it's obvious that Lock AIN'T the Saviour that some here are DREAMING he could be.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I said it in a different post and still agree. Pete's contract runs through 2025, unless he re-signs then there's no way they're going to draft a QB in his last 2 years.
I have to say, as depressing as it is, the more I think about this, the more it makes sense. I desperately want them to draft a qbotf, because this team is barely watchable with Geno choking in the clutch and slinging it to the other team every week, but I can see Pete just standing pat until he's gone. Which would mean at least another 3-5 years of mediocrity disguised as competition. Sigh. ..

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Since when has Pete given a crap about the media's take as a primary consideration for what he does? All Pete had to say was, "we didn't want to leave Geno out there to possibly get injured in a game that was already out of reach. Geno was still nicked up a bit from the Cleveland game. It was a good playing time opportunity for Drew. Geno is still our #1, no question." Pete should have put Lock in next drive after Huntley went in at QB for the Ravens. Ravens gave him cover on that too.

So that's obvious BS about "QB controversy", what was the REAL reason?

a) Drew Lock would have balled out? Made it harder for the Hawks to retain his services next year?
b) They didn't want to get Lock injured by that Ravens D?
c) Some other actual reason?

Wheetie

Reaction score
Because Pete doesn't want to start a QB controversy for the rest of the year, that's why.

If he's confident in Geno, which apparently he is with his post presser comments and unwavering support. Then you sure as hell don't put in your backup QB and open up a Pandora's Box of QB controversy.
But if he's that confident in Geno for the rest of the year, doesn't common sense come into play by sitting Geno to negate risking injury? Still makes zero sense that Lock didn't play.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I have to say, as depressing as it is, the more I think about this, the more it makes sense. I desperately want them to draft a qbotf, because this team is barely watchable with Geno choking in the clutch and slinging it to the other team every week, but I can see Pete just standing pat until he's gone. Which would mean at least another 3-5 years of mediocrity disguised as competition. Sigh. ..
Geno only signed on for 3 years with a ton of incentives. The way the deal is structured says otherwise. If they we're truly sold on him as the long-term starter/future. Then he would have been given a longer term deal with more guaranteed money.

Pete isn't going to do anything but back Geno at this point. Because he doesn't want to create a media storm & put added pressure on Geno. He really has no other option than to back him publicly.

So yes, you're overreacting.

If John & Pete have an opportunity (near future) to upgrade at the position, they will. But until that time they will continue to fully back both Geno & Drew. As they should.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Geno is deservedly taking some heat this week after some bleh play against lesser teams but I think everyone should keep in perspective we just went up against two of the best defenses in football with STELLAR front 7's. The OL has played about as poorly as you can and Waldron is also getting deservedly roasted for calling horrendous game plans. The lack of 13 personnel with multiple TE's being utilized over the middle is borderline fireable against these teams. There is an above average QB in there when the team around him picks their play up.

That said - if the offense goes out and lays a dud against a very beatable Commanders team at home, some alarms should probably start going off. Following this weekend there are 3 very tough games in a row. That kind of negative momentum would put a promising season at risk.
Not even two of the best. THE two best.