Notice how quickly things changed when Russ kept it?

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Did anybody else think that the game really shifted on that option play when Russ kept the ball around the right side? Pete and Russ have often said the option stuff is really just designed runs to throw off the defenders. There was one play in this game where I thought it was rather obvious that russ was keeping no matter what he saw. Around the right with a defender in his face, he puts a little move on him and is off. From that play forward it looked to me like the defense softened up as they were actually afraid of that happening again. I know we dont want Russ running unless he has to but, IMO, we should sprinkle a little more of that into the gameplan moving forward.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
When Russ keeps it, it's usually just that much more space for the RB. So I've never really complained.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
I was in the truck listening to the game at that point, and, if I recall correctly, just a couple plays before that Russ had handed off the RO to Carson and the end was crashing hard...Raible and Moon both said something to the effect of..."Russ has to keep that ball there." I'm guessing the guys upstairs were seeing the same thing and so Russ was instructed to keep it to soften that edge up.

I agree he has to keep it at least a couple times a game. Just a split second of extra time and space helps tremendously.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
If you watch the end on Carson's TD run, it was because he was spying Russ that the gap opened on the right side.

Russ is a weapon, not a game manager.

sutz

Reaction score
Meh, the real turning point in the game was that fumble recovery on the kickoff coverage. That's where we got the two score advantage.

Sure, Russ keeping one opens up the running game a bit, but we were running well from the start. Russ hasn't kept it on that RO play for a while, so it's good to put that into the defense's mind going forward.

rcaido

Reaction score
Russ should do it at least 2 to 3 times a game...Do it early.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":mu3aygp9 said:
I was in the truck listening to the game at that point, and, if I recall correctly, just a couple plays before that Russ had handed off the RO to Carson and the end was crashing hard...Raible and Moon both said something to the effect of..."Russ has to keep that ball there." I'm guessing the guys upstairs were seeing the same thing and so Russ was instructed to keep it to soften that edge up.

I agree he has to keep it at least a couple times a game. Just a split second of extra time and space helps tremendously.

Raible and Moon? 2016 just called and want there color commentator back.

Moon was let go under allegations of harrassment. Dave Wyman was yesterday's color man.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I think this is just another thing a defense needs to account for.

If the end crashes to stop Carson, there goes Russ.

Notice how Dickson was wide open on the play action?

Notice how Carson was wide open in the flat?

While we’re watching the development of Moore, anyone who has watched Shottys offense in the past, you’ll notice a RB and TE catching 50 balls per year and we were seeing this develop with Dissly and hopefully, we’ll see this in Dickson. Not sure who will emerge as the pass catching RB -I think this was set up for Prosise- but maybe Carson or Penny?

Bottom line...we’re just scratching the surface of what this offense can do.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":2zrurvag said:

Bingo. Love listening to those two do the play by play. Very knowledgeable.

Seymour

Reaction score
Russ NEEDS to keep it a couple times per game just to help the RB not running into a loaded box....it flat out helps keep the defense honest. I've been saying this a few weeks now, he needs to keep a couple to help, but I think the hammy was keeping him from running some personally.

That said, I do not think that really was a turning point, but it did have the impact I listed above IMO.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Just the threat of Russ keeping it makes the defense have only 10 players while 1 has to account for him running. I have a feeling his hamstring isn't as good as he's letting everyone believe and I'm sure the coaches are more than happy letting Carson run every time. Sprinkle it in occasionally if the person spying breaks their assignment but freezing him every down is a positive in its own.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
rcaido":1e6vxa5y said:
Russ should do it at least 2 to 3 times a game...Do it early.

I was going to say the same thing. Even if it gains zero yards, he needs to do a designed run like that every game early on to at least keep it in the Defenders' minds.

sutz

Reaction score
And, looking back at the Detroit game, there was one time Russ kept it and the DE looked like he was in pretty good position, but Russ actually ran around him for positive yards. That kind of proves he's getting his mobility back. DEs will have to get an extra step up field on those, which makes them less effective when they do crash down, giving the RB an extra half-step or so into the hole.

It's all about stressing the Defense, forcing them to defend more of the field and cover more angles. Carson has been pretty good at making his cuts and hitting the holes, even when they aren't that wide, which is what an NFL back has to do. Running lanes in the NFL tend to be smaller and narrower than in College.

With Russ showing more willingness to keep it and run just stresses the D that much more.

:2thumbs:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I still think he's a lot slower than he used to be but I love him keeping it a few times a game. The read option is now a real option with the success of our running game!

TasteTheBeastmode

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":10tvqwlq said:
If you watch the end on Carson's TD run, it was because he was spying Russ that the gap opened on the right side.

Russ is a weapon, not a game manager.

My favorite play of the game.

Have the game on DVR and watched this specific play several times.

The formation had Fant lined up in the tight end spot outside Ifedi. Obvious run play. Lockette is split wide and covered by a corner so Glover Quin the Lion's safety comes up to the line line just outside of Fant. I really think he was there for a run blitz as on the snap he instantly breaks across the line. Fant seals the defensive end and Quin comes across untouched.

With any other quarterback Quin makes that tackle for a loss. If it was indeed a run blitz as I suspect then it was the perfect call by Detroit. Yet we still score a touchdown because as soon as Quin sees Russ reading him he breaks down to honor the outside run by Wilson. Russ is absolutely a threat to score on that play and Quin knows it.

By the time Quin can determine Carson took the hand-off all he can do is slap Carson on the hip as he blows by. That's got to be demoralizing to call the exact play on defense for what he offense does and still lose.

I wish I had the know how to post the freeze frame I have on my TV right now of Quin a yard and a half across the line of scrimmage, both knees bent, butt down, hands low and out to the sides trying to keep his balance as he's caught between Wilson and Carson.

Latest posts