How Pete designed this team

toffee

Reaction score
Few national "experts" even knew about '72 Dolphin, some might do the homework and google it. Most, however, just hate Pete even more by mentioning stuff that they didn't know.

If we can have Penny, KW3, a second coming of Larry Csonka, DK and Lockett, we might be quite unstoppable, we could run inside, outside, so on so forth.

keasley45

Reaction score
Lol. How did the Seahawks win that game? Two goal line fumbles and bad clock management by Denver. Not 3 phases of stellar football.

Also, do you know anything about Earl Morrall? He wasnt the starter in 72' but he was the equivalent of Steve Young coming in for Montana.

When Geno Smith can post stats similar to those, let us know.

I'm sorry, but did the Broncos just drop the ball trying to score, or did the Hawks D MAKE them fumble? Sheesh. This is the stuff you see on the Denver board.

And we played conservatively in the 2nd half. So we limited ourselves as much as the Broncos limited us.

Pete's mantra is literally defend even a single blade of grass. It's no surprise we have a highlight real of games we won at the goal line. That wasn't Denver messing up. That was them getting punched in the jaw.

We missed 3 Ints and still won. And we did it because we limited our errors more than Denver did. That's sound football.

The OP point is that Pete, contrary to the rank and file approach, is building a team that Billy Bean's its way to victory. He believes that if you play solid ball in all 3 phases and limit mistakes, you are in position to take advantage of the mistakes the opponent makes. That a game is lost as much as it is won, and that finding a W that way allows you to be competitive even when the opposition has a better QB or team in general.

It's a strategy to lean on entirely to win when you're outgunned (monday night) but it's also one that is foundational to even great teams flush with talent. Where others FOs glam onto 2 or 3 big name stars (most often one at qb) to bring them success and struggle when that player falters, Pete relies on 44 solid guys to play above their pads, game in and game out.

It was absolutely a TEAM that brought Miami success, not a few singular stars. Seattle does the same more than any team in the league. It's the ember that ignited the LOB and our early success, and that fire is getting warm again.

toffee

Reaction score
The magic of LOB, those boys played as an unit. I remember reading that they watched films together, hung out together, went to each other's wedding together, and played as ONE UNIT.

So, here, you have one group of players sacrificing to play as a single unit for the greater good of the team. When these boys looked at Russ whose aim was a bit different, he was livid when his pursuit of MVP was hurt by play calls. One can understand the cultural clash.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Yeah they won a game they shouldnt have. Does that truly change your perception of them? They arent a good football team.
You seem to be kicking and screaming because your narrative for Pete Carroll, Geno and the whole franchise cannot be wrong in your mind.

I appreciate the laugh you have given me today. Every win is sweeter with the anti-crew's reluctance on .net to accept the positive results.

Is Russell a future HOFer? Perhaps. Is Geno a future HOFer? Almost certainly not. But I am satisfied with the team's decision to let the former ride on and give Geno the opportunity to compete and ride here. And I do believe Pete was the last holdout trying everything in his power to keep Russell.

Had Russell been all in on the team, I believe we would have competed much more effectively in season and in the playoffs and the team would have found much greater success as a result.

As expected, this year has started out to be a fun and wild ride.

When the Seahawks lose, and of course they will most likely lose, I will see beyond the loss and know the team is developing. This is true of any team in all of sports.

Being all in on the impossibility of success and cuddling a mindset based in negativity is how perennial losers are built.

The fans of the Seahawks are so very fortunate to have the leadership and organizational culture that we have. Even those of you who can't see beyond the darkness of the narrative that you have constructed are fortunate. It seems a bit unfortunate that you're unwilling to enjoy this incredible process.

Negative is going to negative. Please don't change, I do enjoy your posts.

knownone

Reaction score
It is still too early to say whether they are a good football team. But the team showed promise. And one of the primary areas of concern for most fans, Geno, looked like a capable starting QB.

The Niners game is the real test. That's a better barometer than an emotional game in prime time.

Fade

Reaction score
Teams haven't been able to win a Super Bowl that way since the '02 Buccs. And Seattle's defense is no where near the '02 Buccs. I'm still waiting for them to force a punt.

'72 Dolphins…

JPatera76

Reaction score
Lol. How did the Seahawks win that game?
by 1 point... 17-16 .. 17 Being the greater number means it wins. Thats how football works. Congrats! You learned something! Another celebration!!!

Last edited:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Lol. How did the Seahawks win that game? Two goal line fumbles and bad clock management by Denver. Not 3 phases of stellar football.

Also, do you know anything about Earl Morrall? He wasnt the starter in 72' but he was the equivalent of Steve Young coming in for Montana.

When Geno Smith can post stats similar to those, let us know.
Go back and watch the last series. If Coleman had actually tackled Williams instead of frinkin whiffing (again), then Denver would have been in 4th and very long and there would not have been any controversy over Denver's next play call. They would have had to go for it and I like our odds of stopping them. Game over. We can play "lucky" or "what ifs" all day.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Teams haven't been able to win a Super Bowl that way since the '02 Buccs. And Seattle's defense is no where near the '02 Buccs. I'm still waiting for them to force a punt.

'72 Dolphins…

You're correct as usual, therefore there is no reason to even bother to play the rest of the season. Now that you have spoken, the team needs to disband and send the players home.

Rainger

Reaction score
Geno IS NOT the answer. Is he a stop gap this year no doubt. Think he will play better than I thought he would. But the answer is next year with the SB the following year.

Chevy

Reaction score
I looked at the 1972 Dolphins team stats and it does line up with Pete's brand of football.

In 1972 the Dolphins were ranked the following on offense...
#1 the NFL in Total Rushing Yards.
#1 in Rushing Attempts.
3rd to last in Passing Attempts.
Top-10 in offense Passing Completion Percentage.
#3 Yards Gained Per Passing Completion.
3rd to last in Interceptions Thrown.

1972 Dolphins team stats on defense...
#1 in Fewest Yards given up on defense.
#3 in Fewest Rushing Yards Allowed on defense.
#3 in Defensive Interceptions.
#2 in Defensive Takeaways.
#1 in Defensive Passing Yards Allowed.

So, they were a run first team. The run set up their passing game, which allowed for big plays downfield.

Protect the ball by not throwing a lot, which leads to leading the league in fewest interceptions thrown.

Run the ball a lot on offense, which will allow you to control the clock and keep your defensive players fresh.

Attack the football on defense, which leads to more interceptions and forced fumbles.

morgulon1

Reaction score
In a PC during the pre season Pete told us how he was designing this team. He is designing it after the 72 Dolphins. WHAT? REALLY? Oh you mean the team that didnt have a franchise QB? A team that one the Sb with a veteran back up qb that everyone thought was washed up ? And what was the 72 Dolphins record? WHAT, undefeated?

Of course the media didnt write about what Pete was talking about because they were fixated on the fact that the Seahawks didnt have a franchise Qb . Ok then ...so everybody and there beer soaked brother knows that the Seahawks have no chance of making the play offs right? So why should any nobody listen to how Pete is designing his team.? After all Everbody knows you cant win a SB without a franchise QB right?

Well that didnt seem to be the case when Russ came back to town . How did the Hawks win that game? Well just like the 72 dolpjins were winning there games exicuting 3 phases of stellar football.

Ahhhh i see Now Pete is doing it again dang it... see if your NOT doing it it like everybody else trending in the league then obviously your behind the times and not happening.. really? If you believe that then maybe you should have a descussion with Russ 😆. I dont know maybe the media should be following up on what Pete is talking about how he is designing this team because from what i can see he might be doing some really cool things with his position groups... look at whars happening with the running backs DJ Dallas and Homer, Penny.... look at whats happening with the tight end group all of these guys are contributing big time... not just the first string all of them where did this come from? Give you one guess and the media missed it.

Note : the purpose of this post is to point out how the team was designed NOT to suggest the 2022 Seahawks are as good as the 72 Dolphins.
Nice post. Pete Carroll seems to have an emphasis on solid depth. It worked before.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Go back and watch the last series. If Coleman had actually tackled Williams instead of frinkin whiffing (again), then Denver would have been in 4th and very long and there would not have been any controversy over Denver's next play call. They would have had to go for it and I like our odds of stopping them. Game over. We can play "lucky" or "what ifs" all day.

Denver should have been up by 13 at that point. That 4th down would have been meaningless.

Look, i'm happy they won, but I still see a team that will struggle to score more than 14 points in any game and a defense that will give up 400 to 500 yards on a regular basis. I still see a 5 to 6 win team in Seattle. The win Monday night doesnt change a thing.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I looked at the 1972 Dolphins team stats and it does line up with Pete's brand of football.

In 1972 the Dolphins were ranked the following on offense...
#1 the NFL in Total Rushing Yards.
#1 in Rushing Attempts.
3rd to last in Passing Attempts.
Top-10 in offense Passing Completion Percentage.
#3 Yards Gained Per Passing Completion.
3rd to last in Interceptions Thrown.

1972 Dolphins team stats on defense...
#1 in Fewest Yards given up on defense.
#3 in Fewest Rushing Yards Allowed on defense.
#3 in Defensive Interceptions.
#2 in Defensive Takeaways.
#1 in Defensive Passing Yards Allowed.

So, they were a run first team. The run set up their passing game, which allowed for big plays downfield.

Protect the ball by not throwing a lot, which leads to leading the league in fewest interceptions thrown.

Run the ball a lot on offense, which will allow you to control the clock and keep your defensive players fresh.

Attack the football on defense, which leads to more interceptions and forced fumbles.

Lol, you think Seattles defense lines up with that 72' Dolphins team? I guarantee Seattles D wont be ranked that high in any category.