No takers for Poona and Neal?

toffee

Reaction score
With Barton, even Collier signed, but no takers for Poona and Neal? Both are still young, experienced, and flashed some in the past, especially Neal the current PFF All pro.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Neal is likely hoping for more $$ or he’ll be back in Seattle. I hope he comes back for one more season.

Poona, I think we’ll be shocked how cheap a contract he’ll get. He’s not a fit here anymore. Good dude.

Scout

Reaction score
There are several NFC teams that could use Poona's services. But Poona isn't the only NFL DL sitting out there at the moment along with Q. Jefferson.

You have A. Hicks, C. Campbell, M. Brockers, A. Robinson, M. Ioannidis, J. Phillips, C. Wormley, W. Gholston, T. Alualu, L. Joseph, N. Suh, J. Hankins, B. Williams, J. Ellis, M. Pennel, etc, etc, etc.

Lots of of veteran IDL to choose from at reasonable prices IMO. Most teams will wait post draft to fill gaps on their respective rosters when it comes to IDL.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Neal has been tendered a $2.627M contract for one year. If another team doesn't make a higher offer, Neal stays a Hawk in 2023.

If another team offers him more than $2.627M, the Hawks can retain Neal by matching it.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Neal has been tendered a $2.627M contract for one year. If another team doesn't make a higher offer, Neal stays a Hawk in 2023.

If another team offers him more than $2.627M, the Hawks can retain Neal by matching it.
Any deadline on teams matching that offer?

bileever

Reaction score
Both are interesting situations. Poona had been a good player before last year, when he was misused in the 3-4 defense. Ryan Neal had a spectacular season, at least by PFF standards, but maybe it hasn't translated into any big money offers. Julian Love is getting $6 million per year, and he was ranked well below Neal.

It may say something about the limitations of the PFF grading system. Perhaps Neal isn't as highly thought of around the league. Or maybe the market just isn't there for safeties. Jessie Bates got $64 million/4 years ($16 million a year), but Vonn Bell, Gardner-Johnson, Poyer and Ward all got a lot less than that.

They're projecting Poona to get a 2-year $15 million deal. There's no way he's getting that from the Seahawks. Kind of doubt he's getting that from anyone. Jarran Reed, who is a comparable player, signed for $4.5 million a year.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Not so good for Ryan Neal, Safety is one of the deeper positions in this year's draft.

Chevy

Reaction score
Neal outplays what he is paid or is projected to be paid. I feel that the Saftey position is the easiest to find quility players in Free Agency. Which is why I think overpaying for Diggs and Adams is insane.

Poona has great potential as a 3-tech on a 4-3 defense. He can be a FA steal for some team that knows how to utilize him.

nwHawk

Reaction score

Yup, which is why I think he’ll be back.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I find it interesting how many guys on this team played very well until a new system was implemented. Poona and Brooks played great here until this garbage system was adopted. Worried that no matter how well we draft, a shitty system will doom this team.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I find it interesting how many guys on this team played very well until a new system was implemented. Poona and Brooks played great here until this garbage system was adopted. Worried that no matter how well we draft, a shitty system will doom this team.
I think this is the pitfall of the casual fan. Scheme and players matter a lot. You put a great player in the wrong scheme and that player will more often than not, they’ll struggle.

If they reload and the team defense still sucks, heads gotta roll.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Neal outplays what he is paid or is projected to be paid. I feel that the Saftey position is the easiest to find quility players in Free Agency. Which is why I think overpaying for Diggs and Adams is insane.

Poona has great potential as a 3-tech on a 4-3 defense. He can be a FA steal for some team that knows how to utilize him.
If you believe safety position is easy to find quality players in FA, do you also feel the same would be true in the draft? Draft contracts are not as tall after round one or so as they are in FA.
I think Neal has been dismissed by assessors as simply an Adams substitute and not taken seriously as an individual player in his own right. The guy balls out.

Chevy

Reaction score
If you believe safety position is easy to find quality players in FA, do you also feel the same would be true in the draft? Draft contracts are not as tall after round one or so as they are in FA.
I think Neal has been dismissed by assessors as simply an Adams substitute and not taken seriously as an individual player in his own right. The guy balls out.
Safety is just not a high value position. That is why good ones come to the market almost every year. The Seahawks are different and value the position more than the rest of the NFL.

The NFL Draft and Free Agency are like comparing apples-to-oranges. Yeah, I'm not spending a top-10 pick on a safety, but I would pay a good proven safety like Neal to a 6-8 million dollar a year contract, which is a bargain for any legit starting non premium position.

I feel like we have the same value on the safety position if you also think Neal is good but teams aren't trying to sign him.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We're at the point in the off-season where teams are running out of money. Some space will be cleared with restructures, extensions and veteran cuts, and a few of the players out in the cold will still find homes. The spots are drying up fast though, and unsigned players are getting nervous.

Both are interesting situations. Poona had been a good player before last year, when he was misused in the 3-4 defense.... They're projecting Poona to get a 2-year $15 million deal. There's no way he's getting that from the Seahawks. Kind of doubt he's getting that from anyone.
The deal that Poona eventually signs will say a lot about whether NFL teams feel he was misused or whether his play was simply not that good.