No PI at end of NE / Car game??

CaptBennett

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2dm4l6bb said:
nanomoz":2dm4l6bb said:
If Gronk had made a visible effort to fight his way back to the ball, would it have been PI?

IDK I dont really see how thats relevant though

It's relevant because if he tried to fight to get I the ball instead I just standin there it would be more evident that there is a PI, but Kuchly might of let go and tried to defend the ball in that situation. I think it was weird that he even three the flag...

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
CaptBennett":1lreiwv6 said:
therealjohncarlson":1lreiwv6 said:
nanomoz":1lreiwv6 said:
If Gronk had made a visible effort to fight his way back to the ball, would it have been PI?

It's relevant because if he tried to fight to get I the ball instead I just standin there it would be more evident that there is a PI, but Kuchly might of let go and tried to defend the ball in that situation. I think it was weird that he even three the flag...

But whos to say Gronk wouldnt have come back and caught the ball if he wasnt hugged? Gronk's movement was obviously severally impeded, and it's irrelvent how hard Gronk tried to "fight through" the defender.

nanomoz

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1ts5jusv said:
CaptBennett":1ts5jusv said:
therealjohncarlson":1ts5jusv said:
nanomoz":1ts5jusv said:

But whos to say Gronk wouldnt have come back and caught the ball if he wasnt hugged? Gronk's movement was obviously severally impeded, and it's irrelvent how hard Gronk tried to "fight through" the defender.

Ya, I kinda question the ball being uncatchable. If Gronk wasn't impeded, I think it coulda been close.

Polaris

Reaction score
Gronk was held but I didn't see any effort for Gronk to come back and try to catch the ball. In fact I doubt it was even thrown to Gronk it was underthrown that badly. Regardless, 'uncatchable' is a judgement call, and it's at least plausible in this case. Like I said before, I don't think for a nano-second this was the real reason. I think what really happened is that the backjudge tried to save the game for Prince Brady, and the Head Official (in private) is reaming the backjudge for throwing a flag on a Hail Mary (it ISN'T DONE!)

mikeak

Reaction score
1) It was NOT holding as the ball was in the air when contact occurred

2) It was uncatchable by the receiver. In this case because of the interception. This is no different than 20 yards out-of-bounds - the guy intercepted it at a point which the receiver couldn't have gotten to. If it wasn't intercepted it would have been PI as he could have gotten to that place

3) If the ruling was uncatchable the refs SHOULD have stated such when waiving the flag

Polaris

Reaction score
mikeak":25chi6v0 said:
1) It was NOT holding as the ball was in the air when contact occurred

2) It was uncatchable by the receiver. In this case because of the interception. This is no different than 20 yards out-of-bounds - the guy intercepted it at a point which the receiver couldn't have gotten to. If it wasn't intercepted it would have been PI as he could have gotten to that place

3) If the ruling was uncatchable the refs SHOULD have stated such when waiving the flag

I agree about the third point in particular. The Head Ref should have said there WAS DPI but it was waived because the interception make the ball uncatchable. The Patriots would still be unhappy, but at least the facade wouldn't be quite so threadbare.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Should have been a 5 yard holding penalty, 1st down, 1 more play.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Week eleven and we finally see the refs start calling Uncatchable, but on a ball that was absolutely catchable if the receiver wasn't being bear-hugged by the defender. :34853_doh:

Thank God we don't have those awful replacement refs, right?

Seriously though, if the NFL is going to continue evolving into a passing league, the refs should probably all get on the same page about passing calls. This year is the most inconsistent I've ever seen.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Gronk had too much momentum going away from where the ball was heading before the defender man handled him. A rare occasion that the refs called a pass uncatchable.

aawolf

Reaction score
GRONK INITIATED THE CONTACT COMING BACK TO THE BALL!! If its a comeback route and Keuchly was defending the receiver, is Keuchly just supposed to stop his momentum, step aside, and let the receiver try to catch the ball? That is the point that is lost in all this analysis. you don't have to move out of the way of a receiver COMING BACK TO THE BALL. It would have been impossible for Keuchly to avoid contact on that play as his momentum was carrying him forward while he was running with the receiver, then Gronk turned and stopped and Keuchly ran into him. That is not pass interference.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I thought most of us here agreed that refs don't call PI on last second TD attempts...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
aawolf":k9o3lxl0 said:
GRONK INITIATED THE CONTACT COMING BACK TO THE BALL!! If its a comeback route and Keuchly was defending the receiver, is Keuchly just supposed to stop his momentum, step aside, and let the receiver try to catch the ball? That is the point that is lost in all this analysis. you don't have to move out of the way of a receiver COMING BACK TO THE BALL. It would have been impossible for Keuchly to avoid contact on that play as his momentum was carrying him forward while he was running with the receiver, then Gronk turned and stopped and Keuchly ran into him. That is not pass interference.

Kuechly has to turn to defend the ball. He can't just faceguard while contacting the receiver. C'mon, man, you should know that.

Personally, I think it was a defensive hold, but I don't care if another team gets screwed. In fact, I'm reveling in it. The Taterception is now a thing of the past.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
So the ball a few yards from Gronk is uncatchable just like the one that was 20 yards past the receiver that Sherman got called for.

That's my problem with officiating. It's so inconsistent.

Cartire

Reaction score
A lot of misinformation in this thread.

Firstly, it can not be defensive holding. Holding can only occur while the qb still has the ball. Contact didn't happen until after the ball was thrown.

So the only option for the contact was PI. However, because the ball was intercepted five yards up, this made the ball uncatchable, therefor negating PI.

The only argument that can be made was that Gronk could have made it back to the point of the interception if he wasn't PI'd. That's a judgement call at that point. I don't think he could have, so the no-call was good.

The ref could have avoided all this controversy talk if he just explained that at the end instead of running off.

Polaris

Reaction score
The entire controversy would have been avoided had the backjudge not thrown the flag at all.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ Cartirr - I think I posted that right above but maybe they will read your post and still not understand :)

Sac

Reaction score
There were two penalties. Illegal contact (by the guy who made the pick) then PI. Of course Gronk would have been in position to make a play on the ball. He was clearly held and kept from making his way back.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
aawolf":ytwf98ft said:

If you think that's what happened then you haven't seen a good replay. Kuechly wrapped up Gronk well before he made any attempt (however weak) to get back to the ball. Kuechly was just wrapping up before he had any idea of where the ball was or what Gronk's route was going to be.

Polaris

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3im5wgec said:
There were two penalties. Illegal contact (by the guy who made the pick) then PI. Of course Gronk would have been in position to make a play on the ball. He was clearly held and kept from making his way back.

Actually you are allowed to "box out" (to borrow a basketball term) as a defender. Our Legion of Boom does it all the time. The Defender is allowed to position himself to the ball as well.

What isn't allowed is grabbing and such (faceguarding is allowed). Also when contact was made, the ball was already in the air (as has already been noted on this thread). That means that defensive holding is no longer an option. It's PI or nothing.

Edit: Clarification

Cartire

Reaction score
mikeak":22o7inx4 said:
^ Cartirr - I think I posted that right above but maybe they will read your post and still not understand :)

Yep, sorry, I should have just quoted you. I only read the first two pages and got the basic talking points that we're being parroted incorrectly.

Regardless, hopefully the multiple post of the correct information will filter into people's head. Listening to Gruden cry shouldn't be your only point of information.