Niners whine about officiating

Marvin49

Reaction score
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows · 14m
Patrick Willis says he wasn't fined for either personal-foul penalty he received Sunday. Willis wasn't penalized at all in 2013.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Am I delusional or were the resident 49ers guys just saying no matter what a PF was a fine? Wait could it be that sometimes the fifteen yards is considered the penalty?

Marvin49

Reaction score
homerun1970":r502l09t said:
Am I delusional or were the resident 49ers guys just saying no matter what a PF was a fine? Wait could it be that sometimes the fifteen yards is considered the penalty?

Watch the two plays he was flagged for and get back to me.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":313v4pmz said:
homerun1970":313v4pmz said:

answer the question though...

are you saying that because the NFL didnt fine a player for a personal foul in the game that the call during the game was wrong?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":17c9ch1r said:
Marvin49":17c9ch1r said:
homerun1970":17c9ch1r said:

are you saying that because the NFL didnt fine a player for a personal foul in the game that the call during the game was wrong?

I think that's implied. NFL seldom comes out and says "we screwed that up". The do sometimes like the case of the hit on Foles, but they don't do that PUBLICALLY every time.

Whats kinda amusing to me is the number of peeps who were on the opposite side of this argument when Kam hit Vernon in 2012.

I always thought it was a legal hit, but MANY site the lack of a fine as the NFL conceding it was a bad call.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Even if he hits his shoulder after the slide is initiated, it's still a flag, Marv. Are you saying that he hadn't initiated the slide?

With regard to the lack of a fine, doesn't what I just posted explain that? If he didn't hit him in the head, no fine, flag stands, no?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":3fk0biir said:
Uncle Si":3fk0biir said:
Marvin49":3fk0biir said:
homerun1970":3fk0biir said:

I think that's implied. NFL seldom comes out and says "we screwed that up". The do sometimes like the case of the hit on Foles, but they don't do that PUBLICALLY every time.

Whats kinda amusing to me is the number of peeps who were on the opposite side of this argument when Kam hit Vernon in 2012.

I always thought it was a legal hit, but MANY site the lack of a fine as the NFL conceding it was a bad call.

But again, thats not the issue... the "implication" here is that the lack of fine somehow means the refs screwed your team out of 15 yards and (according to the logic of a handful) the win.

There is nothing in the NFL rule book that states unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike conduct penalties will be fined. In fact, the Rules do say that excessive or flagrant violations can lead to fines. But not all...

so yeah, you're "kinda amused" about stretching your logic across perceptions and inferences, without actually providing anything of substance besides your opinion (and gifs and images that leave everything up to opinion, still), yet without hesitation questioning those of others (and citing perceived hypocrisies on here from 2012 as more justification)

Change the record

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Uncle Si":synh3c03 said:
But again, thats not the issue... the "implication" here is that the lack of fine somehow means the refs screwed your team out of 15 yards and (according to the logic of a handful) the win.

There is nothing in the NFL rule book that states unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike conduct penalties will be fined. In fact, the Rules do say that excessive or flagrant violations can lead to fines. But not all...

so yeah, you're "kinda amused" about stretching your logic across perceptions and inferences, without actually providing anything of substance besides your opinion (and gifs and images that leave everything up to opinion, still), yet without hesitation questioning those of others (and citing perceived hypocrisies on here from 2012 as more justification)

Change the record

Thank you, I thought everyone knew this. Marvin's propaganda spinning would make North Korea proud.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":3eh9nwqn said:
Even if he hits his shoulder after the slide is initiated, it's still a flag, Marv. Are you saying that he hadn't initiated the slide?

With regard to the lack of a fine, doesn't what I just posted explain that? If he didn't hit him in the head, no fine, flag stands, no?

I think its way to bang, bang to make that call. I just don't think we will ever agree on it.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":17l6rv0o said:
Laloosh":17l6rv0o said:

I think its way to bang, bang to make that call. I just don't think we will ever agree on it.

Well, that's better than "Give. Up. You are wrong." Maybe Marvin is starting to grow into a rational person. :thirishdrinkers:

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":2um4zfj5 said:
Laloosh":2um4zfj5 said:

Then you're conceding that it's close and open to interpretation. One can argue that Skuta was already committed but the league would have to determine that was the case in order to reach the conclusion that it wasn't a penalty. The lack of a fine simply means he didn't hit him in the head.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":vz2ijns3 said:
Laloosh":vz2ijns3 said:

Look...its a tight call. Not saying different. But its easy to see it as a penalty. The idea the call was "bad" and screwed the 9ers just comes off as whining.

If it wasn't called I'm sure Cards fans would disagree

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":isyxykfx said:
Marvin49":isyxykfx said:
Uncle Si":isyxykfx said:
Marvin49":isyxykfx said:

Change the record

I hear what you are saying, but it's pretty clear that without the NFL coming out and saying "we screwed up", most here won't believe it was a bad call even though just about everyone I've seen quoted on the call said it was bad. The only place I've seen anyone really DEFEND the call is here. Hell, if the NFL DID come out and say it was a BS call here, I'm sure it would just spawn another in a long line of conspiracy theories.

The NFL rarely if ever publically says they screwed up even though they do. ALOT.

There is a reason people tweet when players do or do not get fined and there is a reason the NFL doesn't explain themselves.

None of what we are talking about is all that crucial....but you can read the tealeaves to see what the NFL is saying when it doesn't fine a personal foul penalty...particularly late hits, lowering the head or blows to the head.

I see peeps arguing here that he had initiated the slide. When Skuta had engaged is open for debate and I can at least see that argument...but most of what I've been seeing here is the Phantom Forearm Shiver that you can clearly see doesn't exist. When the vid and picture evidence showed that, the goalposts of the argument changed.

IE...no need to keep arguing. We're getting nowhere.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":izcssh6z said:
Uncle Si":izcssh6z said:
Marvin49":izcssh6z said:
homerun1970":izcssh6z said:

That is a completely different situation. It was an extremely violent hit in which Vernon said he got a concussion. It was on National TV so a ton of people were watching and it looked extremely violent live. There was a significant buzz about that hit because Kam lit him up so hard.

I argued with Fred.P.Soft on Niners Nation about the Vernon hit ad nauseam and that had very little to do with my argument about the hit. I showed him that Kam never left his feet. I showed him that his point of contact was the shoulders from multiple angles. The fact he didn't get fined was relevant but not the whole argument.

Besides, I am not sure I trust Skuta as a source on this. He has an entirely different account of the conversation he had with Drew Stanton afterthe game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ih6oam7 said:
Marvin49":3ih6oam7 said:
Laloosh":3ih6oam7 said:

Look...its a tight call. Not saying different. But its easy to see it as a penalty. The idea the call was "bad" and screwed the 9ers just comes off as whining.

Honestly not really whining. Cards won that game. While I think that and others were bad calls, there were plenty that were rightfully earned and AT LEAST one that was earned and NOT called.

On another Stanton run he was hit helmet to helmet by Jimmie Ward...and it wasn't called. I mean BAD helmet to helmet. Hands down, leading with his head. No idea why it didn't get called.

Point being, don't get the impression I'm saying "they only lost because they got screwed by the refs". Niners deserved to lose. They shot themselves in the foot AND Stanton played well....while standing all alone in the pocket for way, way too long. Sigh.

Remember when I said "Gratz on the NFC West" after Aldon got suspended for 9 games?

Sometimes it sucks to be right. They got Justin right now and that's about it.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Its nice to finally complain about hits on the football field and not the heat in SD.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":ol1yz2iw said:
Uncle Si":ol1yz2iw said:
Marvin49":ol1yz2iw said:
Laloosh":ol1yz2iw said:

Honestly not really whining. Cards won that game. While I think that and others were bad calls, there were plenty that were rightfully earned and AT LEAST one that was earned and NOT called.

On another Stanton run he was hit helmet to helmet by Jimmie Ward...and it wasn't called. I mean BAD helmet to helmet. Hands down, leading with his head. No idea why it didn't get called.

Point being, don't get the impression I'm saying "they only lost because they got screwed by the refs". Niners deserved to lose. They shot themselves in the foot AND Stanton played well....while standing all alone in the pocket for way, way too long. Sigh.

Remember when I said "Gratz on the NFC West" after Aldon got suspended for 9 games?

Sometimes it sucks to be right. They got Justin right now and that's about it.

A little sad to hear that you've given up on your team, Marv. You're usually Mr. Glass Half-Full. The talent is there on offense to carry that defense for a few games.

psst... I don't really believe that you have. After a decent win, you'll all come out of your funk. ;)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":129o5xj9 said:
NFL seldom comes out and says "we screwed that up".
Gotta disagree with this, they do it a lot for officiating mistakes. Hell, I have one of them bookmarked from the year the Packers last won the Super Bowl, the NFL admitted there were TWO touchdown mistakes that were just enough to give Green Bay the win, and they'd have missed the playoffs without it, yet in the last wild card spot at 10-6 they managed to go all the way and win the Super Bowl...Yet shouldn't have even qualified.

Admitting officiating mistakes after the fact doesn't change anything obviously, but I've seen a lot of egregious stuff admitted by the NFL afterwards when it comes to officiating errors...Not sure what you're basing your opinion on this one on, Marvin.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
homerun1970":2bswqfhp said:
Come on Homerun, everyone knows the NFL is out to get the Niners this year, didn't you get the memo? :sarcasm_off: