NFL authorizes in-game use of guardian caps.

sutz

Reaction score
I think I need more info. I'm all for player safety and I have long advocated for padding on the outside of the helmets. I suspect the hard plastic shells cause as many problems as they solve.

94Smith

Reaction score
Back in the day people probably thought facemasks were ugly until everyone wore them. I could see if you were a player that had multiple concussions already you may consider it

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I like that it's an opt-in. They look extremely stupid, but I'd be for them wearing pink tutus if it's the difference between dying of early onset dementia and having a fruitful post-football life.

Every option to lessen the neurological damage inherent to the game should be available to these guys.

Linemen especially should take the option. The repeated subconcussive blows are what gets you in time, not only the concussions themselves.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
What are your thoughts?
I hate them.

Having said that, I believe that part of the 'press release'/RG interview was also talking about how the players could 'opt in', and the fact that they can choose to use one of three 'other helmets' that after study provided the equivalent level of protection. I have no idea whether the alternate 3 helmets are as vomit inducing as these contraptions - but hey.

The funny thing is, as knee jerk as the whole concussion issue is - I'm not sure I've seen any data based on timelines. And by that I mean: after they've neutered the defenses by about 85%, what are the numbers now? Sure, there are probably higher/scary numbers from previous years 70s/80s/90s/2000s/first half of 2010's - but maybe they've already watered down the game so much that it's not the issue that it was. Nobody plays like Kam/Lewis anymore - so I wonder.

And for the love of God, if I hear one more: "Out of an overabundance of caution" to justify anything anymore - I think I'll rip a phone book in half - and possibly slap a puppy.

I've said for the last 2 years that once the nerf helmets come out they'll probably lose me. This might be the year...... Flag football for the win, indeed.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
It's a rough sport and why these guys are paid annually more than most are paid in a lifetime. And that's an understatement. If they want to wear these alien looking things on the field, OK, but they should also have to wear them in any commercial endorsements they do. Maybe with the exception of hair care products. Like the dandruff seeking Tiny Polamalu wouldn't have to wear his.

It's all headed to flag football anyway. The writing on the wall is excruciatingly obvious. Ugh.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
It's a rough sport and why these guys are paid annually more than most are paid in a lifetime. And that's an understatement. If they want to wear these alien looking things on the field, OK, but they should also have to wear them in any commercial endorsements they do. Maybe with the exception of hair care products. Like the dandruff seeking Tiny Polamalu wouldn't have to wear his.

It's all headed to co-ed flag football anyway. The writing on the wall is excruciatingly obvious. Ugh.
You left something out.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Soccer has tons of concussions also. They aren’t caused just from banging heads. So wonder how much these really cut down on concussions.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
So if your wearing a cone over the helmet,I can hit you there now?
Why not?

NoGain

Reaction score
I'm against it from a purely selfish aesthetic standpoint. They're so damn ugly to me.

cymatica

Reaction score
I like that it's an opt-in. They look extremely stupid, but I'd be for them wearing pink tutus if it's the difference between dying of early onset dementia and having a fruitful post-football life.
Not me, I'll pick dementia over those goofy helmet condoms. If players start wearing those, I'll be too embarrassed to watch this game anymore