My perception of what's going on with the Media

LTH

Reaction score
Ok so I have been involved with interaction with the media for a long time. It used to be that Seahawk beat reporters made themselves accessible to the public because the social media age was just starting.

During Holmgrens tenure with the Seahawks I created relationships with Mike Sando and Clare Farnsworth. I would email them daily asking questions and sometimes just BS about one subject or another for the entire Holmgren era and beyond.

My wife and I would go to Seahawk training camp, and we would have lunch with Clare and Sando, but we were never friends per say but I always had access. Still 20 years later I still talk to Sando... Clare not so much he kind of disappeared in retirement.

It became very clear to me that Clair had inside information for some reason or at least he would tell me things a day or two before they happened... Sando not so much...Not sure if Sando knew the info and was not telling me or if he just didn't have the information that Clair had. I think Clare had been a reporter for a long time and was closer to the organization and he just reported the facts, very little if any speculation or at least that's the way i remember it. I think that's why Clare got inside stuff because he was respected and would keep off the record info, off the record. Sando just reported the facts as well with very little if any speculation and i'm not sure how much off the record info Sando had. I think Both of these reporters were well respected with in the Seahawk organization.

The reason why I'm talking about this is because i learned some things about the media. I learned that some reporters knew more than others because of the relationships they built within the organization. But I also learned that they didn't know everything that was going on, as i had assumed that they had inside info, but were unwilling to tell me which could have been the case, but I know they didn't know everything.

This is how i know this. I Learned quickly at training camp that if you talk to the lower tear coaches like Nolan Cromwell
who was WR coach, that you could get information because these guys were not in the spotlight, and I don't think they had an idea of what was being talked about as current information to the media.

So... I'm in the parking lot at training camp and Nolan Cromwell walks by and I get into a conversation with him, and we start talking about the QB's. At the time, Brock Huard was battling it out with Seneca Wallace. I mentioned to Cromwell, that it was going to be quite a battle between Huard and Wallace and that Huard was probably going to beat out Wallace. Cromwell told me that that was not the case that Wallace had won the job. Oh... how interesting! :drool:

So later that day I caught up with Sando and Clare and I was going to buy Sando lunch but Clare had an interview with Hass so he couldn't go... but walking up to the cafeteria we were talking about the battle between Huard and Wallace and both of them said Huard was going to win the battle. I said well... that's not what Cromwell just told Me... and both of them just looked at me funny. like What? Clare took off to his interview and I went to by Sando lunch... there were many more instances of where i got info that they didn't have, which means they didn't know it all. Now don't take me wrong I'm not trying to blow my own horn I'm trying to make a point.

How does this relate? The first thing is that after Holmgren Left and Carroll stepped in EVERYTHING tightened up. as the access to the team was all of a sudden VERY limited... not just for fans but to the media as well. and as well the media tightened up their access to the fans...not sure why. Sando left for ESPN and Clare retired and was unavailable. None of the new reporters would talk to me Not Gregg Bell not Bob Condotta nor anyone else... I still had Sando, but he was on to bigger and better things.

So... Carroll tightened up access to the media? probably because of his experience with the media in new England and New York. but also, because the media changed its focus. It has moved away from the way Clare and Sando reported, fact based, no speculation to professional analysis speculation. I know this drives Carroll NUTS!

But more importantly the organization does not respect the media like they did in the Holmgren era. Part of that is because Holmgren used to use the media to lay his groundwork for certain things he wanted to leak, hence the "Trader Bob" series of articles written by Les Carpenter, which by the way landed Les a great job in NY can't remember what paper. But, the bottom line is the reporters now days don't know any more than you and I or what is said in press conferences.

most of what they are reporting is from the questions they ask, and from them reading between the lines which could be true or might not be true. Here is the point if respected reporters such as Sando and Farnsworth who the organization respects don't know everything than why would some third-rate reporter like Joe Fann have any type of inside scoop? They don't... and this is very important to know before anyone draws conclusions to what the media reports.
And so i just wanted to share with you my experiences and why I am skeptical about loose information

LTH

toffee

Reaction score
Never had the pressure to interact with position coaches, Seifert was tight lipped and stone faced when it came to anything NFL, and one learned not to bother him that way, neighbor or not. Only media personality that interacted with is Ann Killion, always a delight, but we talked most restaurants tips. Now you know i am a turncoat lol.

John63

Reaction score
LTH":3uaccpld said:
Ok so I have been involved with interaction with the media for a long time. It used to be that Seahawk beat reporters made themselves accessible to the public because the social media age was just starting.

During Holmgrens tenure with the Seahawks I created relationships with Mike Sando and Clare Farnsworth. I would email them daily asking questions and sometimes just BS about one subject or another for the entire Holmgren era and beyond.

My wife and I would go to Seahawk training camp, and we would have lunch with Clare and Sando, but we were never friends per say but I always had access. Still 20 years later I still talk to Sando... Clare not so much he kind of disappeared in retirement.

It became very clear to me that Clair had inside information for some reason or at least he would tell me things a day or two before they happened... Sando not so much...Not sure if Sando knew the info and was not telling me or if he just didn't have the information that Clair had. I think Clare had been a reporter for a long time and was closer to the organization and he just reported the facts, very little if any speculation or at least that's the way i remember it. I think that's why Clare got inside stuff because he was respected and would keep off the record info, off the record. Sando just reported the facts as well with very little if any speculation and i'm not sure how much off the record info Sando had. I think Both of these reporters were well respected with in the Seahawk organization.

The reason why I'm talking about this is because i learned some things about the media. I learned that some reporters knew more than others because of the relationships they built within the organization. But I also learned that they didn't know everything that was going on, as i had assumed that they had inside info, but were unwilling to tell me which could have been the case, but I know they didn't know everything.

This is how i know this. I Learned quickly at training camp that if you talk to the lower tear coaches like Nolan Cromwell
who was WR coach, that you could get information because these guys were not in the spotlight, and I don't think they had an idea of what was being talked about as current information to the media.

So... I'm in the parking lot at training camp and Nolan Cromwell walks by and I get into a conversation with him, and we start talking about the QB's. At the time, Brock Huard was battling it out with Seneca Wallace. I mentioned to Cromwell, that it was going to be quite a battle between Huard and Wallace and that Huard was probably going to beat out Wallace. Cromwell told me that that was not the case that Wallace had won the job. Oh... how interesting! :drool:

So later that day I caught up with Sando and Clare and I was going to buy Sando lunch but Clare had an interview with Hass so he couldn't go... but walking up to the cafeteria we were talking about the battle between Huard and Wallace and both of them said Huard was going to win the battle. I said well... that's not what Cromwell just told Me... and both of them just looked at me funny. like What? Clare took off to his interview and I went to by Sando lunch... there were many more instances of where i got info that they didn't have, which means they didn't know it all. Now don't take me wrong I'm not trying to blow my own horn I'm trying to make a point.

How does this relate? The first thing is that after Holmgren Left and Carroll stepped in EVERYTHING tightened up. as the access to the team was all of a sudden VERY limited... not just for fans but to the media as well. and as well the media tightened up their access to the fans...not sure why. Sando left for ESPN and Clare retired and was unavailable. None of the new reporters would talk to me Not Gregg Bell not Bob Condotta nor anyone else... I still had Sando, but he was on to bigger and better things.

So... Carroll tightened up access to the media? probably because of his experience with the media in new England and New York. but also, because the media changed its focus. It has moved away from the way Clare and Sando reported, fact based, no speculation to professional analysis speculation. I know this drives Carroll NUTS!

But more importantly the organization does not respect the media like they did in the Holmgren era. Part of that is because Holmgren used to use the media to lay his groundwork for certain things he wanted to leak, hence the "Trader Bob" series of articles written by Les Carpenter, which by the way landed Les a great job in NY can't remember what paper. But, the bottom line is the reporters now days don't know any more than you and I or what is said in press conferences.

most of what they are reporting is from the questions they ask, and from them reading between the lines which could be true or might not be true. Here is the point if respected reporters such as Sando and Farnsworth who the organization respects don't know everything than why would some third-rate reporter like Joe Fann have any type of inside scoop? They don't... and this is very important to know before anyone draws conclusions to what the media reports.
And so i just wanted to share with you my experiences and why I am skeptical about loose information

LTH

Nice thanks for sharing

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
A few of you guys might remember Sando's web site. I think it was an ESPN NFC west site. Sando was a strict NO gossip guy... if you went on his sight and reported something and you could not back it up with a article or something fact based you would get hammered LOL...Sando taught us well and i have a few stories if anyone is interested let me know and I'll post them on this thread.

Edit: When Doug Farr was here on this board it was that way no credible source and you get Hammered...kinda like I got hammered a few months ago by Hawkstorian only I came up with a source after the fact. Sando and Farr ingrained that into us and that's why I ask you guys sometimes are you giving an opinion or are you saying this as fact...

LTH

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
LTH":2am2cels said:
Case and point this john clayton story signifying this is the most ridiculous story he has ever had to cover in 50 years of sports reporting read this...

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1541802/ ... de-rumors/

LTH

In 50 years? And THIS is the most ridiculous?
Try again, John.

Sounds like a Wilson homer. I am too, kinda, but not at that level.

Russ wants to strive to top Brady, and that's an awesome goal. If he can't have the team built around him, to support his style of play, he's gone.
That's not a poke at Russ, it's just what's real.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":2fgpxjdx said:
LTH":2fgpxjdx said:
Case and point this john clayton story signifying this is the most ridiculous story he has ever had to cover in 50 years of sports reporting read this...

LTH

Try again, John.

I don't know why you wouldn't believe John Clayton he has been one of the most professional, consistent NFL reporters in the history of the game.

LTH

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
LTH":2zsaeo53 said:
HomerJHawk":2zsaeo53 said:
LTH":2zsaeo53 said:

LTH

Try again, John.

I don't know why you wouldn't believe John Clayton he has been one of the most professional, consistent NFL reporters in the history of the game.

LTH

Nothing against him. Its his opinion, but I don't have to believe he speaks gospel.

You responded way quick! I had edited my post.

I'm just saying, no matter what the writer says, there's usually some hyperbole and personal conjecture involved.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":1dcnnn8t said:
LTH":1dcnnn8t said:
HomerJHawk":1dcnnn8t said:
LTH":1dcnnn8t said:

LTH

Try again, John.

LTH

Nothing against him. Its his opinion, but I don't have to believe he speaks gospel.

You responded way quick! I had edited my post.

I'm just saying, no matter what the writer says, there's usually some hyperbole and personal conjecture involved.

Ok then... :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

LTH

toffee

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":2rh20bak said:
LTH":2rh20bak said:

LTH

Try again, John.

Russ wants to strive to top Brady, and that's an awesome goal. If he can't have the team built around him, to support his style of play, he's gone.

One thing for sure, the story is out here. It could be the reporter made it up for clicks, or a 'friend' of some team's front office made it up to see reaction, or a 'friend' of our front office, or a 'friend' of some Hawks' player. Needless to say, we shall never know, and all parties have perfect deniability, see a 'friend'?

Another thing for sure, it takes effort to create smoke, someone made that effort. Regardless what Clayton said, these type of rumor will keep coming.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
toffee":o89x373l said:
HomerJHawk":o89x373l said:
LTH":o89x373l said:

LTH

Try again, John.

One thing for sure, the story is out here. It could be the reporter made it up for clicks, or a 'friend' of some team's front office made it up to see reaction, or a 'friend' of our front office, or a 'friend' of some Hawks' player. Needless to say, we shall never know, and all parties have perfect deniability, see a 'friend'?

Another thing for sure, it takes effort to create smoke, someone made that effort. Regardless what Clayton said, these type of rumor will keep coming.

The rule of thumb is; if it's not attached to a credible source, like where it initially came from, then it's PROBABLY not true and should be treated as such until proven otherwise. Sando 101

LTH

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Word.

The hypothesis is:

- Source X is absolute
- Other sources are suspect
- I believe in Source X
- Source X must be true

I believe in getting information from multiple sources, from blue chip media outlets to the unverified .net crew, and making my own observations.

Somewhere in between is the truth!

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
So when Wilson says in his PC the story isn't true, I didn't say that... that hold zero weight? and the guy that wrote it recanted his statement...but yet the media keeps writing about it anyway?

OMG I'm not sure what to say....

LTH

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Oh yeah? Well one time, Joey Hunt kissed a girl 4 seats down from me in Philly. So I guess we both are pretty close to the team, eh?

Just kidding. Cool stories, and thanks for sharing.

You make a great point. Pete and John seem to have an alright relationship with the media, but it's a really tightly run ship, with very little leaking out.

It's why their draft picks are surprising and their signings come out of left field. We have nothing but the past to go off of, whereas other teams have their draft interests and desired signings more heavily hinted at.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I'm not close to the team... training camp used to be open to the public in Cheney and you could just sit on the hill and watch the team practice... it was so cool. there were players all over the place in the parking lot. I was able to talk to Grant Winstrom, Daryl Jackson, Matt Hasselbeck just whoever was there the coolest part it was 2005.. the biggest part for me why I got a lot of info is because I'm not shy.. I have no problem with just walking up and introducing myself and having a conversation.

LTH

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I too knew Clare and he was such a perfect gentleman. He knew I was the owner of this fan site called Seahawks.NET and he never batted an eye. I simply found him a charming, engaging older gentleman. Unlike Head of PR Dave Pearson who detested me and what I stood for (a fan site he couldn't control). Clare, Head of Community Outreach VP Mike Flood, the great Gary Wright and others...They got it. They saw the value of a community-based website that focused on their love for the Seahawks. No matter the discord over the years, this has always been a place for 12's to find each other and commune, for better or for worse.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":11diizg5 said:
I too knew Clare and he was such a perfect gentleman. He knew I was the owner of this fan site called Seahawks.NET and he never batted an eye. I simply found him a charming, engaging older gentleman. Unlike Head of PR Dave Pearson who detested me and what I stood for (a fan site he couldn't control). Clare, Head of Community Outreach VP Mike Flood, the great Gary Wright and others...They got it. They saw the value of a community-based website that focused on their love for the Seahawks. No matter the discord over the years, this has always been a place for 12's to find each other and commune, for better or for worse.

I think i met you at training camp... not sure though...

Yes, Clare was smooth as silk LOL one of the nicest guys EVER. I swear I used to email him every day and the guy returned every single one of my emails for ten years or better. total pro!

I didn't know Dave Pearson other than I tried at some point to get press credentials when I was writing for Doug and then one other time when I was writing for an internet site and he was having none of that.

I did meet Mike Flood but it was because I was applying for a job with the field crew that I didn't get.LOL

So I did not know there was issues with.net and the Seahawks please tell us more? I see a good story coming LOL

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I just need to say that I got really lucky...I remember having lunch with Sando and Clare and just listening to those guys have an Indepth conversation about the Seahawks.... with no barriers or pressure or anything...I'm mean it was totally captivating and it totally grabbed my attention. I just shut my mouth and listened and learned... much better than what you might hear on the air with like a round table... Clare Farnsworth was a football wizard.
I'm really feel honored to be able to go to Cheney and experience what I experienced it was every bit as good as the season if not better...I miss those days so freaking much. And I'm so sad that training camp has become so commercialized, so fake and totally Homered out.

do they not know how absolutely flipping cool it was. It's like these days everything that is cool at some point gets ruined... it gets commercialized people start making money of it then the soul of it gets lost...and it becomes less than the standard it represented... and then its gone

Thats kind of what i feel is happening to the Seahawks right now...it's melting... It's not being represented in a way that is telling the story of what's happening... see because it's not always about winning... it's about the journey and what it takes to make that journey in the face of adversity, the representation of what it takes to be great. that's the story that I want to hear and i think it's sad that Pete Carroll can't talk about that... I feel in my heart that he wants to, but every time he does it gets twisted and misrepresented... Human nature takes the soul out of it...

And when I talk about people or the media not getting it, that's what I'm talking about... see because it's the journey that makes the wins so exceptional...but it the misrepresentation of the journey that gets the focus thus marginalized.

I really miss Clare...he became a huge part of my life and he didn't even know it... i think.

LTH

Jville

Reaction score
It always come down to the individual with the passion and drive to present a fair and accurate account. Always locate that real local source and bypass the tainted conglomerates plagued by their self serving filters and amplifiers.

An inspiring example of real journalism at work >>> [urltargetblank]https://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=177286#p2591508[/urltargetblank]