Mike Vrabel

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
With the exception of Andy Reid and probably a couple examples I can't think of off the top it really seems like the winning formula is to go with a young smart coordinator vice an experienced HC who ultimately failed somewhere else.

You can't think of any other situation? What about Pete Carroll? He failed with the Jets & the Patriots. Or Bill Belichick, famously failed with the Browns. Tom Coughlin failed with the Jags, John Fox failed with the Panthers before taking the Broncos to the SB, etc.

Meanwhile there are far longer lists of coordinators who were 1 time Head Coaches, here are the ones who got fired in just the last 5 years & never landed another HC gig (Vic Fangio, Dan Quinn, Vance Joseph, Steve Wilks, Dirk Koetter, Jay Gruden, Freddie Kitchens, Joe Judge, Jason Garrett, Matt Patricia, Arthur Smith, David Culley, Anthony Lynn, Brian Flores, Matt Nagy, Nathaniel Hackett, Mike Zimmer, Chuck Pagano, Ben McAdoo).

whidbeast

Reaction score
You can't think of any other situation? What about Pete Carroll? He failed with the Jets & the Patriots. Or Bill Belichick, famously failed with the Browns. Tom Coughlin failed with the Jags, John Fox failed with the Panthers before taking the Broncos to the SB, etc.

Meanwhile there are far longer lists of coordinators who were 1 time Head Coaches, here are the ones who got fired in just the last 5 years & never landed another HC gig (Vic Fangio, Dan Quinn, Vance Joseph, Steve Wilks, Dirk Koetter, Jay Gruden, Freddie Kitchens, Joe Judge, Jason Garrett, Matt Patricia, Arthur Smith, David Culley, Anthony Lynn, Brian Flores, Matt Nagy, Nathaniel Hackett, Mike Zimmer, Chuck Pagano, Ben McAdoo).
I wasn't referencing all of NFL history. Which teams currently in the playoffs have a retread HC? Honest question I haven't looked it up.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Hire Vrabel, sign Henry and trade K9?

Sign a running back with a lot of mileage who has just finished a season in which he was somewhere between the 15th-best and 20th-best starting RB in per-play rushing productivity and in about the same range in terms of total rushing production, all at a cap hit of $16,367,647 (for a running back!!! - easily the highest cap hit for that position in 2023) and who just turned 30?

No, thanks.

Signing a free-agent running back is generally not a good use of resources. Expensive free-agent running backs are even worse. Signing an expensive free-agent running back over 30 is a very bad idea.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
I wasn't referencing all of NFL history. Which teams currently in the playoffs have a retread HC? Honest question I haven't looked it up.

Well if you're going to make wide generalizations about what path leads to more success you can't evaluate that within a 1 year window. But to answer your question, Todd Bowles flamed out with the Jets, and Dan Campbell was interim HC for the Dolphins previous to this.

whidbeast

Reaction score
Well if you're going to make wide generalizations about what path leads to more success you can't evaluate that within a 1 year window. But to answer your question, Todd Bowles flamed out with the Jets, and Dan Campbell was interim HC for the Dolphins previous to this.
So 2 teams (ish) because one was an interim. I see your point.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
So 2 teams (ish) because one was an interim. I see your point.

Hard to put guys who have been with stable organizations in your side of the argument like Harbaugh or Tomlin, they've been with their teams for a long time, and those organizations dont turnover HCs very often. Tomlin happened to be a coordinator before that role, but they could have hired anyone and stuck with the decision for longer than they did, he happened to be the right guy for the job. Harbaugh was a DBs coach before the Ravens hired him (and before that was the special teams coach) so he doesn't prove your point either.

Your point is making generalizations that the path to success is going with a hot shot young coordinator, but my point is not all coordinators are cut out to be HCs, or even winning HCs. You go with the right guy for the job. An alternative outcome is you get a coordinator who sticks to his "system", and are stuck with a Jason Garrett-like situation. Even a Kyle Shanahan type of OC had to go through 4 retread roles as OC before being hired as a HC, so its even less likely that a guy with 1 successful season as OC or DC equates to success.

whidbeast

Reaction score
Hard to put guys who have been with stable organizations in your side of the argument like Harbaugh or Tomlin, they've been with their teams for a long time, and those organizations dont turnover HCs very often. Tomlin happened to be a coordinator before that role, but they could have hired anyone and stuck with the decision for longer than they did, he happened to be the right guy for the job. Harbaugh was a DBs coach before the Ravens hired him (and before that was the special teams coach) so he doesn't prove your point either.

Your point is making generalizations that the path to success is going with a hot shot young coordinator, but my point is not all coordinators are cut out to be HCs, or even winning HCs. You go with the right guy for the job. An alternative outcome is you get a coordinator who sticks to his "system", and are stuck with a Jason Garrett-like situation. Even a Kyle Shanahan type of OC had to go through 4 retread roles as OC before being hired as a HC, so its even less likely that a guy with 1 successful season as OC or DC equates to success.
I agree with this - and I admit bias having watched PC get owned by Shanny and McV in recent history (I know Pete has a winning record vs Shanny long run). I am not saying a young hire has to have been a coordinator and I don't care if they were the equipment manager if they can win.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
I agree with this - and I admit bias having watched PC get owned by Shanny and McV in recent history (I know Pete has a winning record vs Shanny long run). I am not saying a young hire has to have been a coordinator and I don't care if they were the equipment manager if they can win.

For the record, I dont even think they'll hire Vrabel. Just logically Schneider probably wont want to hire someone whose going to threaten him too much with player personnel, which could be the case with Vrabel given how Tennessee was handling things last couple years. But who knows, the money problems Tennessee had wouldn't be an issue for Seattle if were to be hired so perhaps he doesn't threaten Schneider's job quite as much as I might assume.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Sign a running back with a lot of mileage who has just finished a season in which he was somewhere between the 15th-best and 20th-best starting RB in per-play rushing productivity and in about the same range in terms of total rushing production, all at a cap hit of $16,367,647 (for a running back!!! - easily the highest cap hit for that position in 2023) and who just turned 30?

No, thanks.

Signing a free-agent running back is generally not a good use of resources. Expensive free-agent running backs are even worse. Signing an expensive free-agent running back over 30 is a very bad idea.

What about trading Charbs? I get the age argument on Henry, but he's still playing at a high level, and is exactly the type of downhill runner this team needs. People were hesitant here on McCaffrey due to his injury history, but how has that turned out. I'm just saying, when you have a chance to add dynamic players to your team, you at the very least have to do your due diligence and kick the tires, or you are doing yourself a disservice.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
Moving Charbs would be like trading a second rounder to get a fourth rounder one year later. Granted, we've shown a very recent propensity for wasting second round picks.

Henry-KW3 would be an unbelievably fun duo to watch though. And it's not like teams could just stack boxes against us with the wideouts we have.

Rat

Reaction score
With the exception of Andy Reid and probably a couple examples I can't think of off the top it really seems like the winning formula is to go with a young smart coordinator vice an experienced HC who ultimately failed somewhere else.
I don't feel like Vrabel failed in Tennessee. He had that team consistently playing above their talent level.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
People might disagree with me on this, but I think Vrabel is a Dan Campbell type, a tough no-nonsense culture builder.
I actually like the idea of Mike Vrabel. His teams were always tough and seem to punch above their weight class. He and his staff also seemed to know how to maximize the talent of team.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I actually like the idea of Mike Vrabel. His teams were always tough and seem to punch above their weight class. He and his staff also seemed to know how to maximize the talent of team.

I'm coming around on this idea as well. Vrabel is a culture builder in the mold of Carroll and Quinn. I can't help but feel some distaste right now for Quinn but I'll get over it.

Anyways, I want a head coach that can build a staff and mold a team. There is pretty clear evidence that Vrabel can do that.

James in PA

Reaction score
The more I think about it, I could get behind the Hawks hiring Vrabel. I still prefer an offensive minded guy, but as others have said he checks all the boxes for being a players coach and culture builder. He got a raw deal in Tennessee. Hell, he was coach of the year just a couple seasons ago. The guy knows what he's doing.

Scout

Reaction score
Vrabel year in and year out had his team competing. Not only with toughness but more importantly assignment sound teams. That level of accountability would be a welcomed sight for a young team like the Hawks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I would rather have Vrabel than Quinn at this point. This team needs to MOVE ON from the past. Move FORWARD and change things up.
They need something NEW.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I disagree with the last part. As long as we feel the team had a sense of direction and building toward something, then we will support them.

Right now the Seahawks feel like the MCU. Directionless
How dare you criticize the MsheU. It’s the best it’s ever been. I mean come on. The marvels was top 5 movie of all time. And Echo. My god it’s amazing. To finally have a deaf Native American super hero. Now they need an obese wheel chair bound they/them superhero. It’s going to be epic.