Mike Vrabel

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Vrabel could be a solid hire. More of a known quantity than a Ben Johnson or a Mike Macdonald who have no head coaching experience to judge them by and present more risk but also more potential upside.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Vrabel could be a solid hire. More of a known quantity than a Ben Johnson or a Mike Macdonald who have no head coaching experience to judge them by and present more risk but also more potential upside.
On the flip side, EVERY coach was a rookie head coach at some point. Gotta' start somewhere. I'd be stoked with either one of those guys.
Especially Mike Macdonald. Plus, he's a hell of a singer.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
On the flip side, EVERY coach was a rookie head coach at some point. Gotta' start somewhere. I'd be stoked with either one of those guys.
Especially Mike Macdonald. Plus, he's a hell of a singer.
I tend to agree and would rather swing for more upside but that's me. JS may not feel comfortable with the risk that comes with that choice.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This increasingly feels like the eventual hire. Everyone in the know keeps hinting that he's the favorite.

I would not be a big fan of this, but hey. If John can work with the guy, maybe we can get something going.

James in PA

Reaction score
This increasingly feels like the eventual hire. Everyone in the know keeps hinting that he's the favorite.

I would not be a big fan of this, but hey. If John can work with the guy, maybe we can get something going.
After yesterday, I feel like John is leaning towards an offensive minded HC who is a great play caller. That way, you don't need to worry about losing too much on offense when your OC gets plucked by another team. The thinking is that a team like the Texans might be screwed if they lose their OC, but a team like the Dolphins not so much.

Weadoption

Reaction score
I like Vrabel. My fan perspective sees him as a Jeff Fischer type of coach as far as style.

Ozzy

Reaction score

I disagree. I think John made it pretty clear who he is looking for. I guess its possible those guys choose to go elsewhere and he's forced to plan B it but I will be surprised if he doesn't get an offensive mind in the McVay, Shanahan mold.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
With the way some things went down in Tennessee, like Vrabel looking upset with the AJ Brown trades and being at odds with management, would he want to come to a situation where John is in charge of personal? Would he not want more power in that regard?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I disagree. I think John made it pretty clear who he is looking for. I guess its possible those guys choose to go elsewhere and he's forced to plan B it but I will be surprised if he doesn't get an offensive mind in the McVay, Shanahan mold.
I don't think he did. He immediately followed his statements about the pros of going with an OC with pros for going on the defensive side of the ball.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
With the way some things went down in Tennessee, like Vrabel looking upset with the AJ Brown trades and being at odds with management, would he want to come to a situation where John is in charge of personal? Would he not want more power in that regard?
https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/01/10/inside-titans-decision-mike-vrabel-firing-notes-amy-adams

I think this is mostly about an owner—Amy Adams Strunk—with a reputation for being a bit impulsive and quick-triggered, searching for the right organizational structure, which has very clearly eluded her to this point.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't think he did. He immediately followed his statements about the pros of going with an OC with pros for going on the defensive side of the ball.
I guess we will see. Just being good at reading people it seems like that was a throw in because he didn't want to give too much away. That's generally what people do, the lead with their overriding thought and then play cover up a little. Even if I'm right, doesn't mean it plays out that way because his guys could go to other opportunities or the interviews bomb but I feel pretty confident that's the way he's leaning as of yesterday. Green Bay did this as well and he was brought up in that system.

But I might be wishfully thinking this into existence since its what I prefer lol

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Agree. And I didn't take away at all that he's leaning offense. I heard the opposite. And combine that with comments before last season about needing to get guys with swag and attitude... needing to be aggressive and physical - that to me says defense.

He also talked about Geno and his string finish. So when JS is talking about falling short of expectations, I think in his mind, it's shoring up a defense and making it a unit nobody wants to F with again.... similar to SF. The offensive side... I think he knows he needs a sharper mind than Waldron. But look at it this way... if Waldron were a notch better at playcalling, I don't think there'd be this mass rush to sell the farm for an offensive minded coach. We can get better results with exactly the guys we have by just getting a better OC.

The aggressive, swag culture... I coukd be wrong, but I think 100% John see that as something a defensive, no BS mind will bring.

That's No1 on John's list.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Well sort of. He talked the benefits of a special teams coach like John Harbaugh who see the needs on both sides of the ball. He then discussed the pitfalls of hiring a defensive coach that brings in an OC in terms of stability and QB development and talked about what happened with Mike McCarthy and Alex Smith in San Francisco. Lastly he talked briefly about hiring an offensive coach and what happens with the DC role.

He spent more time discussing the first two scenarios then the latter. Does that mean anything? Maybe, maybe not.

(26:00)

knownone

Reaction score
I think people are reading too much into that comment about offensive coordinators. It's less a commentary about which type of head coach to choose and more about how they structure and develop their staff to avoid common pitfalls.

As for Vrabel, there's no reason to believe he's the favorite when he hasn't interviewed or scheduled an interview.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Agree. And I didn't take away at all that he's leaning offense. I heard the opposite. And combine that with comments before last season about needing to get guys with swag and attitude... needing to be aggressive and physical - that to me says defense.

He also talked about Geno and his string finish. So when JS is talking about falling short of expectations, I think in his mind, it's shoring up a defense and making it a unit nobody wants to F with again.... similar to SF. The offensive side... I think he knows he needs a sharper mind than Waldron. But look at it this way... if Waldron were a notch better at playcalling, I don't think there'd be this mass rush to sell the farm for an offensive minded coach. We can get better results with exactly the guys we have by just getting a better OC.

The aggressive, swag culture... I coukd be wrong, but I think 100% John see that as something a defensive, no BS mind will bring.

That's No1 on John's list.
This is going to sound rude but I really don't mean it that way but I'm somewhat baffled you think he's not leaning offense when he mentioned OC's if they'r e good being picked off, the development of Quarterbacks etc if he's leaning defense.

You play in a division with two of the brightest offensive minds in football in a league that continues to handcuff the defense with rule changes. You have to find a way to outcoach and keep up with those guys.

Again I could be wrong, who knows. Either way I feel confident he will get a good candidate and I'm excited about it. I am intrigued by Macdonald if he does go the defensive route.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think people are reading too much into that comment about offensive coordinators. It's less a commentary about which type of head coach to choose and more about how they structure and develop their staff to avoid common pitfalls.

As for Vrabel, there's no reason to believe he's the favorite when he hasn't interviewed or scheduled an interview.
But that's exactly what I mean. He wants to structure his staff with the best chance for continuity and losing your OC every year is super hard. I doubt Huston is thrilled to lose their OC with Stroud, who is their franchise in year two. It's just much easier to move on from a DC than it is an OC which is why I thin he will ideally lean that way.

Latest posts