Mike Morris will play DT 3

AgentDib

Reaction score
That's the only way that Morris makes sense to me. He just doesn't have the athleticism to play on the edge and had a disastrous combine where he cut 25 pounds and then was a bottom tier end. He is good against the run though, so if he gets back up to 300 lbs then this looks more like a budget Byron Young (AL) pick.

It doesn't mean anything about our defense. We played a ton of 3T last season.

renofox

Reaction score
They also announced Cameron Young specifically as a nose tackle, so they're still using some multiple verbiage.

This hints more towards returning to using bear fronts with a 3t-0t-3t alignment a la 2020/2021
I would love this as an early-down option when opponents are having success running the ball.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
Schneider said Morris had a bit of an identity crisis and lost a ton of weight for the combine, but had since come to grips with the fact he is a big guy and said he was up to 295 now. JS said he's going to play DE for us.
Boom. Morris is going to play 5-tech DE. Can we start putting the "wholesale change back to 4-3" narrative to bed now?

nanomoz

Reaction score
No, Hurt said, 3 tech. If you don't believe me, utube it Morris call. He told him t9o 33 bulk up to play 3 tech.
Yes, indeed. And hopefully Hurtt and Schneider are on the same page.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Generally speaking a 3-4 DE plays 4i mostly, although we do use different fronts. We're definitely not playing 4-3 though. We no longer have the personnel for it.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
That's the only way that Morris makes sense to me. He just doesn't have the athleticism to play on the edge and had a disastrous combine where he cut 25 pounds and then was a bottom tier end. He is good against the run though, so if he gets back up to 300 lbs then this looks more like a budget Byron Young (AL) pick.

It doesn't mean anything about our defense. We played a ton of 3T last season.
I just listened to PC&JS's press conference and they specifically said Morris will be playing with his hand in the dirt at DE. They also said that he's currently at 295 lbs. and they seemed okay with that.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Generally speaking a 3-4 DE plays 4i mostly, although we do use different fronts. We're definitely not playing 4-3 though. We no longer have the personnel for it.
We completely still have the personnel for a 4-3. It depends on the front but a 3-4 can have their ends play 4i, 5T, or even 3T based on the play.

I don't think it matters at all anymore about 4-3 or 3-4. I think we are going to see a lot of different fronts this season.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Hurtt and Schneider don't need to be on the same page Hurtt and PC do. JS has nothing to do with football operations.
So . . . acquiring players isn't football operations? It's not something that requires collaboration with coaches, projecting players into the scheme?

Rainger

Reaction score
So . . . acquiring players isn't football operations? It's not something that requires collaboration with coaches, projecting players into the scheme?
Js does what you say he looks for players to acquire. How those players are used what weight they should be is under PC his title is!!!

Fwbursjjy3favmvabc6b

Pete Carroll​

EXECUTIVE VP OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS/HEAD COACH​