Mike Mccarthy

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
OK so you would rather DQ then MM? That's what you called me a troll over lol
I called you a troll? When was that? I haven’t ever called anyone a troll in my life - it reminds me of those stupid little dolls - so ah yeah - pass the lefty over here. It might be sherm.

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
I called you a troll? When was that? I haven’t ever called anyone a troll in my life - it reminds me of those stupid little dolls - so ah yeah - pass the lefty over here. It might be sherm.
lol my bad you were asking if it was satire which I equated to asking if I was trolling. but my point is I'd rather have MM over DQ. Not saying either of them are better then PC but if DQ what management is dead set on doing why not get an offensive guy

Fade

Reaction score
And yet not one Divisional Playoff win for McCarthy in 3 seasons with 12 win teams. Regular season is great but you can tell how good a coach really is by what they do in the playoffs.
Yeah, franchises with any self-respect do not view 3 straight 1 and dones as a success. Those guys get fired or on the hot seat.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
lol my bad you were asking if it was satire which I equated to asking if I was trolling. but my point is I'd rather have MM over DQ. Not saying either of them are better then PC but if DQ what management is dead set on doing why not get an offensive guy
Right. If defense id like to see a different Mike a la Baltimore. My inside sources say the commanders will hire Johnson.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
No one. And certainly not the person calling people who disagree with his perspective "goofy."

That's fair
I'm sure you can understand the slippery slope in declaring that some viewpoints aren't equal, but that gets into a deeper conversation not needed here on the hawks main board haha :)

GemCity

Reaction score
Right. If defense id like to see a different Mike a la Baltimore. My inside sources say the commanders will hire Johnson.
I’d love Ben Johnson to come here but, I think you’re right.

New GM…#2 pick to grab a QB…that’s going to be too attractive of an offer to top.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
And yet not one Divisional Playoff win for McCarthy in 3 seasons with 12 win teams. Regular season is great but you can tell how good a coach really is by what they do in the playoffs.
True but fans want a huge change from Pete..hes not even close

knownone

Reaction score
That's fair
I'm sure you can understand the slippery slope in declaring that some viewpoints aren't equal, but that gets into a deeper conversation not needed here on the hawks main board haha :)
That slope goes in both directions.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think I'd rather have Callahan or Bieniemy.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Today was the first time in NFL history that the #2 seed lost to the #7 seed.
Even worse, it was as total ass-kicking.

Ozzy

Reaction score
No one. And certainly not the person calling people who disagree with his perspective "goofy."

That’s aimed at me and I just said I think your take and those that disagree I find reasonable….you just have a problem with me and that’s fine. Whatever.

Actually I’ll add this: I’ve never said those wanting to keep Pete or think Geno is good are goofy. I said calling those who disagree with you as dumb is goofy. But carry on making stuff up. You do you.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It’s truly ok if people wanted to keep Pete or move on from Pete or like Geno or don’t like Geno.
I agree and always have. As for the rest...

Man I really hope the discourse on this board doesn’t continue down this us vs them path. It’s truly ok if people wanted to keep Pete or move on from Pete or like Geno or don’t like Geno. The fact these two hot topics are so evenly split and you guys acting like those who disagree are crazy or stupid should tell you something. Both of these debates have valid points/criticisms on both sides. Anyone who can’t see that is being goofy not those that disagree. This isn’t directed at any one person but your comment made me want to bring this up again.

You are reading into my statement well past what is actually warranted here, I think. I get that this statement isn't directed at anyone in particular, but we need to be extremely honest about what the discourse on the board has devolved into. This is no longer a place where facts, logic, or well-reasoned positions win you any respect or nuance in return. This is a board, and in a larger sense a new world, where polarization reigns supreme and narratives rule the day. Any facts will be bastardized to fit whatever the narrative is trying to be confirmed these days, and that's true for probably 75-80% of football fandom at this point. Here, Twitter, Bob "Yewchoob" Scranton's comment section, all of it.

There's subjective analysis and there's objective analysis. Examples: Subjective would be "I think Geno is a quarterback who cannot lead a team deep into the postseason for any number of contributing factors." Objective would be "Geno's regression in completion percentage is most probably caused principally by a combination of supporting cast factors, coaching changes, and line regression." The issue is that the lines are blurred between the two.

The subjective statement is generally narrative driven with some data backing it. The objective statement is nearly inarguable analysis comprised of a mixture of logic, football theory, and fact. They're not properly delineated anymore by the majority of the users here, and honestly, are we doing anything to even encourage it anymore?

Football is an infinitely complex game. It'd be foolhardy to expect everyone to agree, and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree. This game leaves limitless room for interpretation. My point is simply that researched, quality football postings are far and few between anymore. They get driven down by the more accessible, more popular, and more vapid interpretations of the game that lead way to basically sloganeering and narrative-based groupthinking. It's disappointing.

If there are valid points on both sides, then our war should be against the invalid points that are made post after post after post. The valid points hardly exist anymore between the trolls, the one-topic posters pushing specific agendas for 1000s of posts, and the outright liars who craft yarns that appear well-researched but are knowingly obfuscatory in nature. There are too many shit-stirrers to realistically have a chance at consistently harmonious discourse followed by harmonious and respectful disagreement anywhere on the internet these days.

As for me, I'll absolutely tip my cap to those who disagree with me given that they present valid points in return. This happens to me pretty frequently, because there are still pockets of good posters here who happen to disagree with me fairly often. But I'm not going to be complimentary of those who refuse to engage in an actual football discussion in favor of shouting whatever crappy talking point they got from Hawkblogger before they refuse to engage thoughtfully with rebuttal.

TL;DR: There's opinion, and then there's being wrong. There's discussion, and then there's fallacious haranguing. There's advocating for a viewpoint, and there's advocating for a viewpoint while deliberately lying about the data that supports your viewpoint. It's not goofy to call this what it is, and you know as well as I that the things I'm referencing are entirely too prevalent.

knownone

Reaction score
That’s aimed at me and I just said I think your take and those that disagree I find reasonable….you just have a problem with me and that’s fine. Whatever.

Actually I’ll add this: I’ve never said those wanting to keep Pete or think Geno is good are goofy. I said calling those who disagree with you as dumb is goofy. But carry on making stuff up. You do you.
I don't have a problem with you. My problem was with your post. You made a reasonable observation, took a critical stance against it, then—in the same paragraph—did the same thing you were being critical of: "Man I really hope the discourse on this board doesn't continue down this us vs them path.... Both of these debates have valid points/criticisms on both sides. Anyone who can't see that is being goofy."

If you are going to constantly place yourself in the center as the voice of reason, you should, at the very least, stop referring to people who may disagree with your perspective as goofy—you know, that us-vs-them rhetoric.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Good lord NO. If ya think u want McCarthy, go back and watch the Packers choke job against us in that famous nfc championship game. Garbage
God was on our side. Can't really hold that one against McCarthy. Packers did everything they could possibly do except win. Not that I want McCarthy, I don't. But he sure had his team ready to play. Onside kick freak play was the difference, 100%.

olyfan63

Reaction score
McCarthy utilize offenses well. I’m down.

The one where a one in a hundred onsides recovery and bizarre two point conversion saved us? I would say that game was a great example of why MM would be a decent choice. They came to town and out game planned the piss out of Pete.
ABSOLUTELY!! Hawks had no business winning that game. God was on our side that day. With supporting roles played by Marshawn, the LOB, and Chris Matthews.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
3 12 win seasons in a row...fairly successful

And only one Wild Card playoff win to show for it. Don't be fooled by regular season wins. It's been an issue with Seahawk fans for years now.