Mike Jackson

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Weird game to harp on regarding shadowing. Tariq took that side of the field away from Adams, and perhaps the best receiver in the game of football was held to less than 80 yards on the day. Adams had his worst game in weeks.

In the 3 games prior, Adams hadn't been held under 125 yards a single time. Seattle held him to 74.
Could it be because they didn't need to throw him the ball when the running game could do whatever they wanted all game long???

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point. They couldn't stop the run, period. No need to do anything different. Just like TB running wild all day long. This is concerning, to say the least.
Still don't get why it's a such a huge deal to wonder why they don't shadow sometimes. I know Pete will never change, and it's not gonna' happen. But this is a message board to talk football, and it's a legit question. I'm fully aware that this game is on the defense. Though they lost as a team. Had the ball TWICE with a shot to get the winning score. Didn't get it done.
Then again, the O Line was getting pushed around in the 4th and in OT. Shoot, 65 yards rushing for the Hawks on the day, that's just not good enough.
Win as a team, lose as a team, several factors contributed.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Could it be because they didn't need to throw him the ball when the running game could do whatever they wanted all game long???

I thought this at first too, but nah. Carr threw 36 times. In the other games, he threw 37/38/36 respectively.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'm sure they were picking on Jackson and he wasn't answering the challenge. He was playing 10 yards off and allowing the quick out for 3 quarters, then he moved up like he was going to jam him at the line and then would just give him free release -- not put his hands up or anything.

Tre Brown got some snaps yesterday. I wonder how long until he starts taking Jackson's reps.

fyi - if you have a CB shadow a WR, you're committing to man coverage all game and there's also problems associated with that.

Mase

Reaction score
-- Have you considered the possibility that Woolen isn't as dominant as the left corner. If you insist on him shadowing, that would include following the WR into the slot, and I do NOT want a tall corner trying to cover a WR like Adams with two way go options. It also then asks Jackson to play out of position.

-- This teams issue is run defense. Has been all year. We have been able to disguise it in some games, but often the other team helped us, by being stubborn and playing a lot of 3 WR sets. Tampa and Las Vegas both committed to use a FB or plus TEs and just pound the ball at us. Worked both times, and will work again. Red Bryant, Norman Hand nor Cortez Kennedy are walking through that door. The Rams only chance is to try the same thing, so get ready for a healthy dose of Akers. We are who many of us thought we were before the season even started. 8-9 or 9-8 team. Up and down, but ending the same. I just didn't think either of those records could get us into the playoffs, but now it might. I think our postseason revolves around the Giants. But we'll see.

Mase

chrispy

Reaction score
Tariq should have mirrored Josh Jacobs. He had as many receiving yards as Adams but over 300 total rushing and receiving. Adams was a non-factor in the game and the x-factor was not addressed.