Mariners Draft

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score

Crizilla

Reaction score
They won't see the bigs for awhile but I like the approach with going all infield/outfield with their first 3 picks. Final pick of day 1 is Ben Williamson who people are saying is a surprise pick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
They won't see the bigs for awhile but I like the approach with going all infield/outfield with their first 3 picks. Final pick of day 1 is Ben Williamson who people are saying is a surprise pick.
The three in the first are all LH hitters!
Which is needed and they all can hit..I hope that bears fruit.
The 2nd rounder is a sleeper that they know they can afford after the 3 ones.
I'm not sure he will do anything but you never know.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Turned on the TV completely unaware of the MLB draft and totally happened upon the very start of it, with Junior taking the podium to announce the first pick. That made my day, and I knew I didn't need to watch any more.

sutz

Reaction score
They've been concentrating on pitching the last few years. Nice to see them focus a bit more on position players.

We might have to spend a bit of minor league capital again this trade season if we want to score a decent rent-a-bat. Looks like they're planning ahead.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The three in the first are all LH hitters!
Which is needed and they all can hit..I hope that bears fruit.
The 2nd rounder is a sleeper that they know they can afford after the 3 ones.
I'm not sure he will do anything but you never know.
I hope these guys have more success than Dustin Ackley did (when he was drafted, he was supposedly a great hitter).

sutz

Reaction score
I hope these guys have more success than Dustin Ackley did (when he was drafted, he was supposedly a great hitter).
It's always a bit of a crap shoot, but I trust our current regime better that who was in charge back then. We had a habit of rushing guys to the show and them failing, or at least having extended break-in periods that meant they left our system only to do well elsewhere. We did the same thing with JK, who is finally this year starting to look like a true big leaguer.

Good write-ups in the Seattle Times today on our 4 picks of the first couple of rounds.

Apparently they have or are close on a deal with 2 of the 3 1sters, which would be amazing as they had committed to college. Couple of years in our system and they could be ready pretty young.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And this draft has nothing to do with Ackley. Sometimes a guy just doesn't pan out.
They have one of the best minor league systems in all of baseball. That's not by accident.

sutz

Reaction score
NO, they DO have one of the best minor league systems.
I'll take our current crop over the Zdurnak (sp) years any day. Now, I see good scouting, good player development, and lower willingness to trade talent for old vets past their prime who's sole use is putting butts in the seats without providing pop on the field.

I'm all for a rent-a-bat, but we still need to look 3-5 years down stream and keep the talent stream going.

NoGain

Reaction score
I'll take our current crop over the Zdurnak (sp) years any day.
OMG! In retrospect, it's hard to express just how bad Zduriencik and his team were in drafting and developing talent. He was even worse than Bavasi. I mean, comprise a top ten list of Mariner homegrown talent from about 2003-2015. It's embarrassing. It led us into that long valley of death that pretty much lost me as a fan.

Threedee

Reaction score
I'll take our current crop over the Zdurnak (sp) years any day. Now, I see good scouting, good player development, and lower willingness to trade talent for old vets past their prime who's sole use is putting butts in the seats without providing pop on the field.

I'm all for a rent-a-bat, but we still need to look 3-5 years down stream and keep the talent stream going.
I still can't believe how bad player development was under Zduriencik. It's worthy of a book.

Threedee

Reaction score
And this draft has nothing to do with Ackley. Sometimes a guy just doesn't pan out.
They have one of the best minor league systems in all of baseball. That's not by accident.
Forget Ackley. I want to relitigate Brendan Morrow over Tim Lincecum until the end of time.

Latest posts