Mariners 2019 season

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Baseball is definitely an interesting sport. Definitely the most unpredictable. Just shows that anything can happen. Just look at where the Mariners are and where the Red Sox are. Who would have thought.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ge7385q said:
Finally they are really fun to watch. Especially because they are playing loose, with a chip and with the belief that they are never out of it. Couldn't have been more wrong about this team. Hope that continues :irishdrinkers:

In years past, Mariners fans had Felix and... not much else to enjoy watching. Pitching duels are fun once in a while, but hits are what bring people to the park. This team is an utter joy to watch right now. Just a treat. When the score was 0 to 4 at the top of the 6th, I figured they would lose but still make a game of it. There is just no quit in them. They are showing so much plate discipline and clutch hitting, I can scarcely believe my eyes.

Chapow

Reaction score
Averaging 7.8 runs per game through the first 15 games. Next closest is the Dodgers at a full run per game less.

What the hell is happening?

:lol:

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Chapow":1xquf4ys said:
Averaging 7.8 runs per game through the first 15 games. Next closest is the Dodgers at a full run per game less.

What the hell is happening?

:lol:

They appear to have accidentally made themselves contenders in a rebuilding year.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Really curious to see how the next two series go. Houston and Cleveland are not KC.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Truly an incredible win and these guys keep coming at you like a determined thoroughbred. They have all the intangibles and hungry players who all have something to prove -- not to mention they have the best plate discipline in the league.

And hopefully it's a great crowd this weekend to support them against the Stros in a real showdown. Expect a lot of bandwagon fans to start showing up everywhere...including this thread.

Don't sweat the defense-5 + runs a game will make up for the usual 2 errors. As to the pen, we have 4 quality guys that Servais has confidence in: Swarzak, Elias, Brennan and Sadzeck. Those guys are all solid--just need a couple more decent arms in there.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2no9i8v7 said:
Baseball is definitely an interesting sport. Definitely the most unpredictable. Just shows that anything can happen. Just look at where the Mariners are and where the Red Sox are. Who would have thought.

Thing is... over 162 games baseball is the most predictable sport there is.

But... every year there is anomaly, whether or plsyer or team.

Ms might be that anomaly.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2b9m3ood said:
Hawk-Lock":2b9m3ood said:

Time will tell of course, but it begs the question is it a potential anomaly or the culmination of many overlooked guys who had good 2017 seasons and are prime candidates for bounce back years? Was it all a carefully calculated player acquisition seige by Jerry? Or just total luck?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How many times have we heard the A's were gonna' suck? Quite often, only to see them in the mix at the end of the season. Could be the same thing here. We will get our Closer back AND Seager and his defense sometime in June. Big boost right there. Seagar better hit or he'll be riding the pine more than he would like.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Nice win for the Mariners today. An early series sweep win. Hope to see more of that to come as the season progresses. Remember, consistency is the key here.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Could this team be like the 2001 Ms? That team was supposed to drop too with A-Rod leaving. They ended up tying for the most wins in a season. Although 2001 M's had better pitching than the current team does.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":1a74qauf said:
We don't have any room for Seager. We're full. Sorry Kyle

Agreed. The worst thing that could happen to this team, aside from injuries, is putting Seager back in the lineup everyday when he comes back. Healy is doing great and you shouldn't mess with what's working. Even a platoon, which I'm afraid will happen, will dampen the rhythm this lineup has.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":a4r2s286 said:
Uncle Si":a4r2s286 said:
Hawk-Lock":a4r2s286 said:

Time will tell of course, but it begs the question is it a potential anomaly or the culmination of many overlooked guys who had good 2017 seasons and are prime candidates for bounce back years? Was it all a carefully calculated player acquisition seige by Jerry? Or just total luck?

Probably both. Which makes the anomaly more a calculated risk.. moneyball style (without the payroll limits)

Seafan

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1voama32 said:
Crizilla":1voama32 said:
We don't have any room for Seager. We're full. Sorry Kyle

Agreed. The worst thing that could happen to this team, aside from injuries, is putting Seager back in the lineup everyday when he comes back. Healy is doing great and you shouldn't mess with what's working. Even a platoon, which I'm afraid will happen, will dampen the rhythm this lineup has.

He could be a possible trade piece if he can show something when he returns.

Atradees

Reaction score
Same thing my wifie and I were saying. Dont mess with the chemistry.

In related news....Cano is batting 200, James Paxton has a 5 era and Zunino is batting .077....(2 for 29)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like Seagar, but if a team is willing to give up something, it might be time to move on from that contract. He's way too inconsistent as a hitter. Very good defensive player, but this team is just fine the way it is.

sutz

Reaction score
When Seagar comes back, we'll have 4 first basemen. Encarnacion and Bruce were always trade bait. I liked what Seagar was doing at the plate in spring, he was hitting away from the shift and still putting a lot of power in his swing.

Frankly, I don't see them moving Seagar this season. I could see an infield of Seagar, Beckham, Gordon, and Healy with Moore as the utility man. Vogey can spell Healy at first and DH. I could see hanging on to Bruce if he continues to hit, but if he does his trade value will be elevated anyway. We've replenished our farm system, yes, but you can always use more in the pipeline.