Mariners 2019 season

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sutz":oq0sp8fs said:
When Seagar comes back, we'll have 4 first basemen. Encarnacion and Bruce were always trade bait. I liked what Seagar was doing at the plate in spring, he was hitting away from the shift and still putting a lot of power in his swing.

Frankly, I don't see them moving Seagar this season. I could see an infield of Seagar, Beckham, Gordon, and Healy with Moore as the utility man. Vogey can spell Healy at first and DH. I could see hanging on to Bruce if he continues to hit, but if he does his trade value will be elevated anyway. We've replenished our farm system, yes, but you can always use more in the pipeline.

The 3 of Seager, Bruce and EE were and are still trade bait, in which you'd hope the organization is looking to bring in prospects to take their place or capital to purchase them further down the road. Ideally a player in the farm like White or Long are brought up this Summer as well.

But for sure, Seager is not meant to be a long term asset. If they can trade him this season (unlikely due to contract) they will.

That said, another prospected free agent (Braves 2b Albies) has extended his contract. This is not for nothing, as extensions were pretty rare in MLB until this season. The Ms plan has always been to build a nice, young core and support it with free agents in 2021. That list is dwindling. Be interesting to see how the front office adjusts.

For now, with the big series coming up tonight.. enjoy some love from ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26501109/how-amazing-mariners-playing-baseball-best-team

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":1pvhqd32 said:
When Seagar comes back, we'll have 4 first basemen. Encarnacion and Bruce were always trade bait. I liked what Seagar was doing at the plate in spring, he was hitting away from the shift and still putting a lot of power in his swing.

Frankly, I don't see them moving Seagar this season. I could see an infield of Seagar, Beckham, Gordon, and Healy with Moore as the utility man. Vogey can spell Healy at first and DH. I could see hanging on to Bruce if he continues to hit, but if he does his trade value will be elevated anyway. We've replenished our farm system, yes, but you can always use more in the pipeline.

Seager hit a good .292 in spring training 2018 too but sucked yet again in the regular season. He’s on a bad downward trajectory:

Avg. HR. RBI. OBP. SLG. BB. K
2016 .278 30 99 .359 .499 69 108
2017 .249 27 88 .323 .450 58 110
2018 .221 22 78 .273 .400 38 138

Frankly, despite his solid fielding we can do much better than him in our lineup everyday. His flat awful contract has created a problem as he has no trade value but that doesn’t mean he should be made the starter again and take away ABs from guys more deserving.

Healy made a significant change by dropping the leg kick and going with the toe tap and it’s worked wonders. The guy already has 9 doubles-he deserves to continue to be the everyday 3B.

And if the goal is to try to be competitive next year, then Jerry may want to consider picking up EE’s club option next year at 20 mil. Steep price but not overly excessive when you take a look around the league- Cruz is 3 years older and got $14 mil from the Twins so it’s something to consider.

Bruce is the 1 guy I would consider moving but if the team continues winning and is in 1st or within a couple games of Houston in July I would hold onto him. If they’re several games back of Houston but in the WC hunt or worse, trade Bruce and consider offers for others.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Raise your hand if you thought that despite the downward trend in his production, we'd be talking about leaving Seager to ride the pine this season. Anyone?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2m14lckz said:
Raise your hand if you thought that despite the downward trend in his production, we'd be talking about leaving Seager to ride the pine this season. Anyone?

I mean we are talking about it... but that's a far cry from the team talking about it

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":rtx62w52 said:
Until he stops pulling everything he’d be a defensive replacement in my book.

253hawk

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":1ffz3bm6 said:
Chapow":1ffz3bm6 said:
Averaging 7.8 runs per game through the first 15 games. Next closest is the Dodgers at a full run per game less.

What the hell is happening?

:lol:

They appear to have accidentally made themselves contenders in a rebuilding year.

tenor.gif

Uncle Si

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":35927sjp said:
sutz":35927sjp said:

Seager hit a good .292 in spring training 2018 too but sucked yet again in the regular season. He’s on a bad downward trajectory:

Avg. HR. RBI. OBP. SLG. BB. K
2016 .278 30 99 .359 .499 69 108
2017 .249 27 88 .323 .450 58 110
2018 .221 22 78 .273 .400 38 138

Frankly, despite his solid fielding we can do much better than him in our lineup everyday. His flat awful contract has created a problem as he has no trade value but that doesn’t mean he should be made the starter again and take away ABs from guys more deserving.

Healy made a significant change by dropping the leg kick and going with the toe tap and it’s worked wonders. The guy already has 9 doubles-he deserves to continue to be the everyday 3B.

And if the goal is to try to be competitive next year, then Jerry may want to consider picking up EE’s club option next year at 20 mil. Steep price but not overly excessive when you take a look around the league- Cruz is 3 years older and got $14 mil from the Twins so it’s something to consider.

Bruce is the 1 guy I would consider moving but if the team continues winning and is in 1st or within a couple games of Houston in July I would hold onto him. If they’re several games back of Houston but in the WC hunt or worse, trade Bruce and consider offers for others.

You have to trade both Bruce and EE at the apex of their value, regardless of where the team is.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Atradees":npyl7fyv said:
more Vogalbombs please.........SoDo Sluggers? Sea Bombers? I like this team. Im living in the moment. I loving Bruce, Encarcion,.......everyone.

I really only post on .net and that’s rarely (if ever) nowadays... so this has stuck with me for like a week amongst all the rage to moniker this run and if anyone likes it pass it on, use it and abuse it, drop it like it’s hot because it’s very fitting in definition.

The Dreadnought.

dread·nought
/ˈdredˌnôt,ˈdredˌnät/

noun
HISTORICAL
a type of battleship introduced in the early 20th century, larger and faster than its predecessors and equipped entirely with large-caliber guns.

Checks all the boxes. And simply sounds bad ass.

Atradees

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":36jq6apy said:
Atradees":36jq6apy said:
more Vogalbombs please.........SoDo Sluggers? Sea Bombers? I like this team. Im living in the moment. I loving Bruce, Encarcion,.......everyone.

I really only post on .net and that’s rarely (if ever) nowadays... so this has stuck with me for like a week amongst all the rage to moniker this run and if anyone likes it pass it on, use it and abuse it, drop it like it’s hot because it’s very fitting in definition.

The Dreadnought.

dread·nought
/ˈdredˌnôt,ˈdredˌnät/

noun
HISTORICAL
a type of battleship introduced in the early 20th century, larger and faster than its predecessors and equipped entirely with large-caliber guns.

Checks all the boxes. And simply sounds bad ass.

Now thats a thought. The Nickname has to have some relevance to local players or culture or something. Right?

The Vogelnaughts? SoDoNaughts?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This is the game to win, Verlander and Cole the next two games.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Damn, I Hate the Astros. So much. It's more than me being enviable of them. And maybe more than the being Seattle's bitter rival. Altuve, Springer, Bregman, Marisnick, Reddick, McCullers, the rest of their pitchers, WADE MILEY! The whole lot of them!

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Why the hell would Servais leave a guy in making his major league debut after loading the bases in a 1 run game? Several other guys available in the pen for the 8th but no Servais is going to leave the rookie in for a full 2 innings. Piss poor managing.

Atradees

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1v7r8lz4 said:
Why the hell would Servais leave a guy in making his major league debut after loading the bases in a 1 run game? Several other guys available in the pen for the 8th but no Servais is going to leave the rookie in for a full 2 innings. Piss poor managing.

That was terrible. Guy stopped being able to find the plate loaded the bases and then allowed the grand slam. :34853_doh: It was completely obvious to the entire planet to pull the pitcher.

ALSO, where was the Vogelbomb and Narvaez? Trying to destroy the chemistry much?Taking ot two hot hitters so one of the worst pitchers Miley could slow our roll?