Malik McDowell in "vehicular" accident

gowazzu02

Reaction score
themunn":2k5fs2vb said:
The_Z_Man":2k5fs2vb said:
This sounds a lot like the Jason Pierre Paul... first it was a fireworks burn... much speculation, et. Giant fans were saying "Don't speculate, it may not be that bad." "You don't have the information."

No, but when things get hidden... usually it's a very bad sign.

When the dust settled, it finally comes out that he'd blown his damn hand off and they had to repair it with surgery and amputate a few fingers...

And that was his hand, not his face.

And he came back and signed a 4 year $62m dollar contract so things ain't all that bad.

True, but he also was at the top of his position when the injury occured. McDowel is a 2nd round pick yes but a rookie who has never even looked at a pro jersey let alone put one on.

mikeak

Reaction score
QuickLightning":khccrc3x said:
Hasselbeck":khccrc3x said:
No, the Seahawks are out a pick and a shitload of money as the Seahawks are one of the very few teams these days that don't forbid dangerous off-season activities in their contracts.

I have tried to stay up on the thread but don't see this mentioned anywhere. Maybe I missed it or maybe it isn't in the thread, but where does this information come from?

and for contract details:
4 year, $6,955,441 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $3,198,503 signing bonus, $4,406,637 guaranteed

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":97mc3a9m said:
QuickLightning":97mc3a9m said:
Hasselbeck":97mc3a9m said:
No, the Seahawks are out a pick and a shitload of money as the Seahawks are one of the very few teams these days that don't forbid dangerous off-season activities in their contracts.

I have tried to stay up on the thread but don't see this mentioned anywhere. Maybe I missed it or maybe it isn't in the thread, but where does this information come from?

4 year, $6,955,441 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $3,198,503 signing bonus, $4,406,637 guaranteed

Right now, we have no idea what happens with the contract. The team hasn't said anything and I imagine they haven't made any decision on it. If he doesn't play this year, and he was hurt on his time doing non-football related activities, we have recourse to recoup that money. Of course we don't have to, and there-in lies the questions that cannot yet be answered.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":2vtycrlx said:
mikeak":2vtycrlx said:
QuickLightning":2vtycrlx said:
Hasselbeck":2vtycrlx said:

Right now, we have no idea what happens with the contract. The team hasn't said anything and I imagine they haven't made any decision on it. If he doesn't play this year, and he was hurt on his time doing non-football related activities, we have recourse to recoup that money. Of course we don't have to, and there-in lies the questions that cannot yet be answered.

Well that is my understanding as well. Which is why I was questioning someone making such a clear cut statement as are out money because our contracts don't forbid dangerous off-season activities. It was either completely made up or actually based on reading this information in an article - it was not a typo so I would like it clarified

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ruminator":g9xk20g7 said:
While it's too bad Malik got hurt, the caliber of the Seahawks' talent acquisition program makes this less severe of a blow, especially during a decent draft year as 2017 probably was. The loss of a first pick would probably have been much more painful to most other teams. Certainly Malik's unique abilities on defense would've been helpful, but at least our D is already among the tops in the league, so it isn't like we were counting on him to help right a listing ship..

We all hope you're right, but this is something that will only be answered at the end of the year.

If our D-lineman stay healthy and productive all year, then no not having McDowell here in that rotation for a year isn't going to be a big deal.

But if we go through a rash of injuries and the D-line depth suffers? Then you bet your ass we'll all be revisiting this topic angry at McDowell for not being here.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3685mbjv said:
Well that is my understanding as well. Which is why I was questioning someone making such a clear cut statement as are out money because our contracts don't forbid dangerous off-season activities. It was either completely made up or actually based on reading this information in an article - it was not a typo so I would like it clarified

Makes sense.

I'm just running with the fact that everything involving information around Mcdowell is speculative. Sadly I doubt we'll get anything more than that for quite some time.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Is there an NFL rule that prohibits injured rookie players from staying and working on their recovery with the team so they can also attend meetings and begin the learning process?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1ordau2t said:
Is there an NFL rule that prohibits injured rookie players from staying and working on their recovery with the team so they can also attend meetings and begin the learning process?

No, he's a player under contract so he can rehab in the team facilities.

But the fact that we sent him home says that football related rehabbing and learning the playbook is secondary right now. Pete sent him home to continue to receive treatment and possible surgeries with his own doctors.

kidhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":26slpzcx said:

No, there isn't such a rule that I'm aware of, but in an instance such as this, the team may be preparing to ask for money back from his contract and also get that balance added to the salary cap as well. If we force him to stay, that won't happen.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm starting to think part of the reason that Seattle is keeping things so secret on this is because they are investigating and trying to determine if they can kind of "redshirt" McDowell because of the injury.

If they can keep him on NFI - reserved all year then McDowell will not accrue a season in the NFL for 2017. That would mean that if he were to come back in 2018 and play out his contract that he would then be a RFA in 2021 instead of an UFA and would basically allow Seattle to recoup the year of control over him that they lost because of his injury.

Where it gets tricky is if McDowell believes he can play and gets cleared to play he can force his way back and as long as he is on the team (and off NFI) for 6 games he will accrue a year and effectively eliminate the possibility of him being a RFA later on.

So it makes sense for Seattle to keep quiet about the whole thing and not show their hand and not say anything that could be used against them if there is any conflict later on between them wanting to hold McDowell out and him wanting to come back. I also think that plays into sending him home. Not giving the appearance that they expect him to play in 2017...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20r6z9fs said:
Ruminator":20r6z9fs said:
While it's too bad Malik got hurt, the caliber of the Seahawks' talent acquisition program makes this less severe of a blow, especially during a decent draft year as 2017 probably was. The loss of a first pick would probably have been much more painful to most other teams. Certainly Malik's unique abilities on defense would've been helpful, but at least our D is already among the tops in the league, so it isn't like we were counting on him to help right a listing ship..

We all hope you're right, but this is something that will only be answered at the end of the year.

If our D-lineman stay healthy and productive all year, then no not having McDowell here in that rotation for a year isn't going to be a big deal.

But if we go through a rash of injuries and the D-line depth suffers? Then you bet your ass we'll all be revisiting this topic angry at McDowell for not being here.

I was gonna say, if this had happened at RB or WR as they stand now, I wouldn't have been so worried. But DL is a problem. They're all either aging (Avril/Bennett/Rubin), injury-prone (Jefferson), untested (Jones/Smith), underwhelming (Marsh), or prone to getting benched for dumb stuff (Clark).

mikeak

Reaction score
DJrmb":15moehkj said:
I'm starting to think part of the reason that Seattle is keeping things so secret on this is because they are investigating and trying to determine if they can kind of "redshirt" McDowell because of the injury.

If they can keep him on NFI - reserved all year then McDowell will not accrue a season in the NFL for 2017. That would mean that if he were to come back in 2018 and play out his contract that he would then be a RFA in 2021 instead of an UFA and would basically allow Seattle to recoup the year of control over him that they lost because of his injury.

Where it gets tricky is if McDowell believes he can play and gets cleared to play he can force his way back and as long as he is on the team (and off NFI) for 6 games he will accrue a year and effectively eliminate the possibility of him being a RFA later on.

So it makes sense for Seattle to keep quiet about the whole thing and not show their hand and not say anything that could be used against them if there is any conflict later on between them wanting to hold McDowell out and him wanting to come back. I also think that plays into sending him home. Not giving the appearance that they expect him to play in 2017...

What we say or don't say really won't matter. He needs medical clearance and if he gets it our statements wouldn't matter much. He would have a grievance if we didn't let him play.

It was noted elsewhere that the family has asked for information to be kept quiet so they are respecting that. Further this with if they are truly thinking he won't have a career and will ask for it all back / void the contract now it does get important what is said.

He comes here for a few days, he goes home, statement by the coach that it would take a lot for him to play this year -- yeah he is done. I am not a doctor but I guess a lot of them don't suggest you play football again after sever head traumas.....

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
brimsalabim":ahlinhsz said:

If the problem, as seems likely, is a concussion serious enough to warrant sending him home and re-evaluating him after the bye I'm not sure there's much value in 'beginning the learning process' while he's in the fog of that concussion.

Chapow

Reaction score
QuickLightning":21xq2a28 said:

If you are going to make a statement like that, please back it up with a source. I think some of you are assuming that because he rode an ATV, there wasn't any language in his contract forbidding it. Here's the thing though, sometimes people do stuff they aren't supposed to do. Matter of fact, people do stuff they aren't supposed to do all the time.

This was sort of brought up on page 2 of this thread;

Chapow":21xq2a28 said:
Seymour":21xq2a28 said:
My point is, many teams have contract clauses about such activity, and looks like we don't. Or at least ours may be more lax than others.

What are you basing this opinion on? One guy getting hurt doing something he may or may not have been contractually allowed to do? Is there a disproportionate amount of Seahawks involved in incidents like this compared to the rest of the NFL that I'm not aware of?

And while I have no idea where his information is coming from, there is this;

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/891768911066038272[/tweet]

Sometimes people do stuff they aren't supposed to do.

FTR, Seymour never answered the question(s).

kidhawk

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":yocimc88 said:
brimsalabim":yocimc88 said:

If the problem, as seems likely, is a concussion serious enough to warrant sending him home and re-evaluating him after the bye I'm not sure there's much value in 'beginning the learning process' while he's in the fog of that concussion.

Everyone knows that concussions are serious, but I think many don't realize just how long they can last. I can think of at least 2 NFL players who have missed entire seasons due to a concussion. Both were OL, but I doubt that makes a difference.

Oher of the Panthers got hurt in September of last season and never left the concussion protocol and was eventually released in the off season because he still couldn't get cleared to play.

Brenner of the Broncos got a head injury in training camp last july and never played a down last season.

The point is, Nobody really knows how long this type of injury can last, so it's really just a waiting game for now.

The Breh

Reaction score
It's a disappointment but you guys are acting like he was our defensive savior.
Reed, Jefferson and now Jones all get more time.
And then there's Clark.
We'll be more than fine.
He obviously needs some time to get some priorities straight.

RW92

Reaction score
I agree with what has been said. Must move on and evaluate what we have. Bottom line we all had hopes of his 6ft 6inch frame putting pressure on the opposing QB. So be it. Let's go with what we have. But must find who has the speed and athleticism to tip the scale and break the QB. Without it you just can't win the big game. Looking forward to Sunday when the process begins.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seriously, disappointing.

When I listened to Malik's reaction when the Seahawks drafted him, there was no enthusiasm and or happiness/gratefulness with being drafted. I personally see this as a huge red flag. Almost as if, he does not care.

I will take 10 players that love football, that are passionate about it, and most importantly, grateful and appreciative of the opportunity to play in the NFL over a huge "talented" player that displays absolutely no heart.

Go back and listen to any audio or even watch any interviews with Malik after he was picked. Do you see any appreciation, gratefulness, or even passion in his voice/demeanor? Cause I sure as hell didn't. And I did not like that.

What's really disappointing is, Pete Carrol's mantra I always thought was he seeks individuals that absolutely love the game of football first and foremost. I honestly think Pete dismissed this value and was probably blinded by the Malik's talent to possibly see any negatives and flaws with this player.

Too little too late now.

I'm a huge Huskies fan. And to see 3 very talented Huskies get passed on by Carroll especially in areas of need, I have to question whether or not Pete was has been very lucky to get as far as he is and perhaps he was very lucky to draft players like Kam and Sherm.

Just ranting and this is my two cents but I'm just really disappointed.

If Kevin King, Budda Baker and Sidney Jones go on to be multiple Pro Bowlers and All Pros and Malik does not play a single down, you can bet Pete will rethink his draft philosophy at least once or twice.

Disappointed.

Smellyman

Reaction score
The Breh":nizhoq31 said:
It's a disappointment but you guys are acting like he was our defensive savior.
Reed, Jefferson and now Jones all get more time.
And then there's Clark.
We'll be more than fine.
He obviously needs some time to get some priorities straight.

People like to parrot the 'top 5 talent' which so many internet draft board warriors love.. Always better to draft on eyeballs, performance and results rather than potential.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/winners-a ... 33601.html

Michigan State DL Malik McDowell — Allow us to explain how a 6-foot-6, 295-pound prime athlete with long arms and big hands who runs a 4.85 40 is on the “losers” list. Said one team: “Worst interview we did.” Added another: “Awful interview. Awful.” What concerns scouts most is that for all his tremendous upside — watch him destroy Michigan, for instance — McDowell’s production and tape don’t always match up. Scouts feel like he takes plays off too often. And when they asked him about that, he got defensive. They also asked him about his attitude and work ethic, which were concerns. Many of those questions remain unanswered.

“The cautionary tale is Clowney,” one team explained. “You see him now, he’s dominant; we had those same questions [for McDowell] when he came out. Does he love football? Is he going to work?

“With [McDowell], I can’t figure out what makes this kid tick. He might be the type who, maybe he falls [in the draft] and it lights a fire under him. I don’t know. But I need that light on more often, and he didn’t like it when we asked him about that.”

McDowell might never fully show his full skill, but passing on him also means you’re missing out on a potentially rare talent.

mikeak

Reaction score
1) we didn't win the Super Bowl this year so a wasted top pick directly works against improving this team which by default puts us further away from winning what matters

2) as pointed out - caring about football and putting everything else on hold was the red flag. He lived up to the concerns already and Seattle gambled by trading down and then drafting him

3) Logan of people wanted lamp. He is out for season - so while this was non football related we could be in the exact same position even if we took what people thought was our guy