Malik McDowell in "vehicular" accident

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Basically it comes down to did we win the super bowl or not.

If the answer is or not. Then whatever comes of this will a big deal.

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":bk0fvtez said:
1) we didn't win the Super Bowl this year so a wasted top pick directly works against improving this team which by default puts us further away from winning what matters

2) as pointed out - caring about football and putting everything else on hold was the red flag. He lived up to the concerns already and Seattle gambled by trading down and then drafting him

3) Logan of people wanted lamp. He is out for season - so while this was non football related we could be in the exact same position even if we took what people thought was our guy

Yes and no IMO. Yes a wasted high pick can work against improvement, but it doesn't have to. 1 good late round starter or UDFA starter can erase that bad pick just as easily.
Also, why are people not used to us blowing our first pick anyway? Never has been a strength of this staff to land all pro first round / higher picks anyway.
McDowell was a risk. We keep selecting risks and it's only a matter of when before it bites us.
Lastly. Who's to say he doesn't come back later in the season, or even next year to help? He very well could.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seymour":3blx1p8i said:
mikeak":3blx1p8i said:
1) we didn't win the Super Bowl this year so a wasted top pick directly works against improving this team which by default puts us further away from winning what matters

2) as pointed out - caring about football and putting everything else on hold was the red flag. He lived up to the concerns already and Seattle gambled by trading down and then drafting him

3) Logan of people wanted lamp. He is out for season - so while this was non football related we could be in the exact same position even if we took what people thought was our guy

Yes and no IMO. Yes a wasted high pick can work against improvement, but it doesn't have to. 1 good late round starter or UDFA starter can erase that bad pick just as easily.
Also, why are people not used to us blowing our first pick anyway? Never has been a strength of this staff to land all pro first round / higher picks anyway.
McDowell was a risk. We keep selecting risks and it's only a matter of when before it bites us.
Lastly. Who's to say he doesn't come back later in the season, or even next year to help? He very well could.

1) It works against us. If we are lucky some other pick counters it but it does not negate the fact that it in isolation works against us. With that said - yes if you look at the overall outcome of the draft it as a whole could work for us, but picking a player that didn't prioritize football and then goes out and gets himself (what seems to be) severely injured worked against the team improving

2) Being used to something doesn't mean it should be accepted. We got cute with the draft several times and people want to count the "extra picks" we got. We will see how it ends up

3) Until we get something concrete about the time-line we will have to speculate. Considering how PC is always optimistic I will take his very negative comment about it taking a lot for a 2017 comeback as Malik is not playing this year. I really hope my interpretation is incorrect

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
mikeak":31lr4hh1 said:
Seymour":31lr4hh1 said:
mikeak":31lr4hh1 said:

1) It works against us. If we are lucky some other pick counters it but it does not negate the fact that it in isolation works against us. With that said - yes if you look at the overall outcome of the draft it as a whole could work for us, but picking a player that didn't prioritize football and then goes out and gets himself (what seems to be) severely injured worked against the team improving

2) Being used to something doesn't mean it should be accepted. We got cute with the draft several times and people want to count the "extra picks" we got. We will see how it ends up

3) Until we get something concrete about the time-line we will have to speculate. Considering how PC is always optimistic I will take his very negative comment about it taking a lot for a 2017 comeback as Malik is not playing this year. I really hope my interpretation is incorrect

If you look year to year, roughly half of the 1st rd picks are busts, across the league, not just in Seattle. That is a lower percentage than other rounds, but still not a death knell. The 2013 team wasn't built on 1st rd draft picks, neither was the 2014 team.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1ffc4iho said:
mikeak":1ffc4iho said:

I'm not all that concerned about the concept of a wasted pick day one pick. This is a team that is littered with players that weren't top picks.

McDowell isn't going to make this draft. That'll fall to Pocic and Griffin. Mostly Pocic in my opinion. This team has been frankly awful at selecting OL talent. We've done it plenty of times, even early. But really just targeted bad players. Whether that originated with the coaches who set the criteria for what we want. Or scouting not correctly identifying the traits we're looking for. Personally, I believe it completely the former.

Pocic is a marked move away from the kinds of OL talent we've consistently coveted in the last several years. And how he performs throughout this season is likely to imprint results going forward. If he succeeds, I would expect this organization to fundamentally change what they are looking for going forward. Which should provide real hope that future additions in this group fare better than what we've been seeing for years.

McDowell was just a raw/risk prospect. Panned mightily as a complete blockhead. A reputation that is now cemented for his entire career. If indeed he even has one. I harbor little hope that he'll be worth resigning when his contract is up. This likely won't be the last incident that will leave us wondering 'what if'. There is no indication that he was ever repentant for the criticisms laid at his feet in college. Or in the draft process. Or now as he's scuttled the beginning of his pro career. He just reeks of a man who simply and utterly doesn't get it nor cares to find it. And given Pete's predilection for prospects he thinks he can save -- I really doubt he'll be the last guy of this nature we take with our top selection.

Is it possible he is contrite and can show it publicly? Yeah it's possible. I expect though that there is a reason he's been banished to the backwoods of Michigan far from the prying eyes of Seattle's media and fans. He's far more likely to be an inconvenient truth that the team would just as soon nobody has a chance to discover for themselves. At least not until the season starts and the news cycle has enough on it's plate to distract from what is likely an ugly and embarrassing mess.

Chapow

Reaction score
Calling McDowell a wasted pick at this point is ridiculous and absurdly premature. Even if he doesn't play a down this year, he could still be the guy many of us were hoping he would be next year and into the future. The guy is 21 years old.

Who knows, maybe this whole experience does this young man some good.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Chapow":3fbduvr0 said:
Calling McDowell a wasted pick at this point is ridiculous and absurdly premature. Even if he doesn't play a down this year, he could still be the guy many of us were hoping he would be next year and into the future. The guy is 21 years old.

This is a great point. There were reports that the accident was serious enough he could have (or maybe almost) died. It certainly wouldn't be the first time an incident like that changed a young mans priorities in life. I'd even venture to say that there's no way a near death experience doesn't change someone in some way, if it was indeed that serious...

Here's to hoping for the best out of a bad situation.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Chapow":ircffv8l said:

Agreed. This whole thing smacks of simple immaturity. So many are being quick to crucify this guy (and I get it -- I'm a fan with expectations too) ... but for those who are thinking that way let me remind you, he's only 21 years old. Heck, I did a LOT of things when I was 21 years old (that as I look back upon now) that I shake my head and say, "I can't believe I was so dumb." That's true of a lot of us and I'm guessing that if you're honest with yourself (whomever happens to be reading this), you'll admit that was true of you too. Experience may often the most expensive teacher ... but it is often the one that many absolutely need in life. The school of hard knocks is often the only teacher that works. When life smacks those pupils down, it is only then that the real learning can begin -- because it is only then that their ears are honestly open to the wise voices around them.

McDowell is in the perfect environment to learn, to grow, and to mature. He is surrounded by guys who are both accepting and are strong mentors. Give him a chance to learn and to grow from this. 100% agreed.

mikeak

Reaction score
Yes I hope his head trauma on his personal time wakes him up and realizes how much better it is to have head trauma on paid time.........

toffee

Reaction score
He should sit out this season, even "if" he sort of ready around mid-season or so. Without the benefit of training camp and pre-season, and freshly out of a major injury, his contribution would be limited and could even be an distraction. Sit the season out, clear the face and that dumb head. Come back if physically able for a summer of rehap, training,

mikeak

Reaction score
toffee":119nasap said:
He should sit out this season, even "if" he sort of ready around mid-season or so. Without the benefit of training camp and pre-season, and freshly out of a major injury, his contribution would be limited and could even be an distraction. Sit the season out, clear the face and that dumb head. Come back if physically able for a summer of rehap, training,

Financially really not a good option for him if he gets cleared medically. Just no way he would do this. Better to come back this season, have a horrible season and either be on the team / cut next year.

If he gets medically cleared expect him to play, if not then well obviously he won't play. Due to structure of contracts etc there is nobody that wants to sit for non-football related injury when coming in as a rookie

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Long term issue. Either a very serious concussion or vision problems. Not to mention the higher possibility of suffering from CTE if he decides to still play down the road. Plus putting Seattle in an awkward spot with the financial situation.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2m0jummo said:
McDowell isn't going to make this draft. That'll fall to Pocic and Griffin. Mostly Pocic in my opinion.

I'd have to disagree. The loss of McDowell is probably going to be a bigger blow than everyone thought. Pass rush has always been the burr in our shoe whenever we've reached the playoffs, and our DL is quietly becoming less good. Either aging (Avril and Bennett, sharp drop in production in the latter half of last year), injury-prone (Jefferson), untested (Jones), or merely decent at pass rush (Rubin, Marsh, Reed), our only bright spot moving forward is Frank Clark. We are going to need new DL talent.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
If McDowell were a Patriot, think he'd see much of his pay for this year?

HawkGA

Reaction score
If his pay is withheld, does it go back into the salary cap?

Ozzy

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2r3wn026 said:
Attyla the Hawk":2r3wn026 said:
McDowell isn't going to make this draft. That'll fall to Pocic and Griffin. Mostly Pocic in my opinion.

I'd have to disagree. The loss of McDowell is probably going to be a bigger blow than everyone thought. Pass rush has always been the burr in our shoe whenever we've reached the playoffs, and our DL is quietly becoming less good. Either aging (Avril and Bennett, sharp drop in production in the latter half of last year), injury-prone (Jefferson), untested (Jones), or merely decent at pass rush (Rubin, Marsh, Reed), our only bright spot moving forward is Frank Clark. We are going to need new DL talent.

Sort of where I'm at. It can be obsorbed if Jefferson ends up surprising and Clark because a borderline superstar(reasonable in my opinion) but Mcdowell was going to play a huge role this year and improve the one area this defense has been fairly pedestrian with an interior pass rush WITHOUT having to move Clark and/or Bennett inside.

It's disapointing but not giving up on Malik moving forward. He's young enough that he can still have a very bright future.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":22vreiax said:
MontanaHawk05":22vreiax said:
Attyla the Hawk":22vreiax said:

Sort of where I'm at. It can be obsorbed if Jefferson ends up surprising and Clark because a borderline superstar(reasonable in my opinion) but Mcdowell was going to play a huge role this year and improve the one area this defense has been fairly pedestrian with an interior pass rush WITHOUT having to move Clark and/or Bennett inside.

It's disapointing but not giving up on Malik moving forward. He's young enough that he can still have a very bright future.
Maybe this will open up a door for Naz Jones to fill that interior pass rush void too.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Yes, withheld pay goes back into the salary cap

And BTW, my son laughs at those of you saying that ATV riding is too risky for a grown man to do in the offseason.

IMG 0794

5lxsb9

25frr79

Chapow

Reaction score
^^^ You know they make smaller ones for kids, right? :D

Smellyman

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":9lepaheu said:
Attyla the Hawk":9lepaheu said:

We'd have to know if he was any good first. He wasn't great in college.

He had 1.5, 4.5 and 1.5 sacks in college. Not exactly the answer to pass rush