Love being the underdogs! According to Vegas.

keasley45

Reaction score
Agree with the statements about the draft. I think this team has potential….in 2024 or 2025.
But to claim we’re going to be better than we were last year. Even more shockingly, to point the finger at Russ?
Most analysts, NFC West defenders and teams, other players, etc. look at Russ as he’s still a top tier QB. Yet, a section of Seattle fans swear he’s done. He’s terrible and the cause of most of the Hawks problems.
Sorry if whoever is reading this doesn’t find that odd. I think it’s crazy.
It’s definitely exciting. They kicked butt in this last draft. The future appears bright.
But this year? It would be wise to keep your expectations to a minimum.
Objectively now, is our defense better this year than last? I don't know how you can see losing Wags as somehow contributing to the demise of the unit when he already was in decline. We are absolutely better than last year - coaching, new talent at key positions of need, new scheme.

O line? How are we worse? We are without a doubt better.

Wrs? Same group returning with more experience and a few burners added to boot.

Running game? We were banged up last year. This year we subtract (unfortunately) our best piece, but also most uncertain player, and add the best rb in college football.

Tight ends? Not even going to explain that one.

If you look at the team objectively, the only position where we lost talent was qb. But in losing #3, we also traded the compromises we had to make at the position. What we have to work with now remains to be seen.

But this team is far better than the one we fielded last year and better than teams Pete started here with and those units performed arguably better than their talent showed.

Seems as though the doomsday visions are clouded by the frustrations of losing Russ. That, and the belief that with him, went all the potential of this team. Truth - he took some shackles with him too.

I think its great that we're underdogs. Enjoy it while it lasts because we won't carry that label very long.

Last edited:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
If you don't think the trading of Wilson was a positive, it's only because you won't let it be.

If the most likely thing happens, and this team is unable to find even a decent quarterback during at least the next half decade, you're going to find out why people don't think it's a net positive.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
It confuses me to see Vegas making us underdogs avery game while putting our over/under W line at 5.5. games.
They show the Hawks as favorites for 4 of those games. I guess the additional 1.5 must be a margin of error in their favor.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I really don't think we are underdogs...
During the last re-build we saw a young "point guard" #3 really blossom. We also had young defensive stars that were drafted or acquired at about the same time. Many of them had the proverbial "chip on my shoulder", but the team was young and worked well together for several years.
I really think that the combination of low cost 1st contracts and the "team feeling" that comes with familiarity creates a "dynasty". That feeling was present back in the "Legion of Boom" days and could come back for this group to bring us another Champion!
Welcome to the board and we look forward to your continued participation.

What you said rings true, but it took about 3 years for that group to really bloom into "dynasty" conversations. At which point they began to decline, thanks in no small part due to a last second goal line snafoo costing us the back-to-back SB titles. And without a game changing talent like Wilson was at QB that 3 year period could be elongated for as long as it takes us to find and acquire another. But, having been through all the seasons of our expansion status I like where we are now for climbing the ladder again.

WarHawks

Reaction score
This fo recognized Russ' potential and got their qbotf, in the 3rd round no less. Having learned from that, I don't see why it's unreasonable to think they won't be able to do that again soon, especially given the draft capital we have. The future looks bright.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
We are going with a new qb that got bounced for Teddy Bridgewater last year.
We are also switching to a 3-4.
Realistically optimistically, this is a 5 to 7 win team for this year.

Scout

Reaction score
Defensive improvement is the key. If they make the switch to 34 work this year then this team has potential to rack up wins as a competitive NFL average unit. The defense needs to have its fangs back and I think they will have that edge back this season with the overhaul.

I am not worried about the offense playing ball control because they are better built for it this year and they have to because they can't rely on Russ heroics in the 4th quarter. But if the defense can't play and then the offense is forced into shoot outs that is where things can go sideways fast.

But from a pure talent point of view this squad is capable of winning 7-9 games IMVHO.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Defensive improvement is the key. If they make the switch to 34 work this year then this team has potential to rack up wins as a competitive NFL average unit. The defense needs to have its fangs back and I think they will have that edge back this season with the overhaul.

I am not worried about the offense playing ball control because they are better built for it this year and they have to because they can't rely on Russ heroics in the 4th quarter. But if the defense can't play and then the offense is forced into shoot outs that is where things can go sideways fast.

But from a pure talent point of view this squad is capable of winning 7-9 games IMVHO.

I agree with most of what you got, but basically we here have a qb who would have at best been a backup with any other team, plus a major scheme change on d that will require everyone, vets, rookies, Pete etc. time to get used to.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Being an underdog, but believing in yourself can create a "mindset" or attitude where you want to do a little bit extra, in workouts, practice, studying and personal growth. If this is the team feeling in the locker-room, good things can happen. Look at how Rashaad bloomed after meeting Adrian Peterson. He had great skills, but seemed to lack the "tough guy" attitude. His attitude is now re-born and I expect great things from #20 in the future.

A similar change could be in store for Drew Lock. He had a good rookie year, but then had yearly coaching changes in Denver that may have delayed his development and created self-doubt. I don't think he had a chance to mature in that system and probably experienced a lack of confidence because of it. For sure, he must have studied the playbook with a lot of effort every year, only to have it be replaced by a new plan to learn the next year. This fact alone could cause a lot of personal confusion and self doubt for anyone. But now, in a new and positive situation with the Seahawks and with Geno as the presumed starter, the pressure is off and his skills and confidence can fully mature.

Regarding team attitude...other writers have mentioned, that during the "Russell years", once #3 became of more importance to the team, players who were "Alpha Males" such as Richard Sherman, Doug Baldwin, Michael Bennett and others ended up leaving the team, destroying the "potential dynasty". After the second Super Bowl, as everyone knows, the team "mindset" changed. To me, it seemed like the management had tried to "tailor" the locker room personalities, in an effort to leave #3 in charge of the team locker-room and the groups "mindset". :)

But, I trust in the "Pete plan" and think that the "post Russell" Seahawks will be served a lot better by returning to a tough Defense and relying on our existing offensive "stars" to lift us up as well as having new "tough guys" emerge. The "Kumbya song" will be fresh and the next dynasty will come.