Lockette has Surgery to repair ligament damage

pmedic920

Reaction score
It seems that the surgery is to repair ligament damage.
If that's the case, I'm kinda worried about it.
Obviously we don't know the extent of the damage but this could be a big deal.
Especially when you factor in that he couldn't make the trip back.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I really hope Lockette is ok after this. He was starting to see a lot more reps in games at WR. I don't know if this is due to his improvement or lack of someone else stepping up, but it's sad for him either way.

That said, this clears up a roster spot for Richardson. I'm also hoping to see Matthews more. Matthews is also good at ST.

timmat

Reaction score
Best wishes for Lockette and I hope they do what's right for his health.

As for the WR corps, there were some rumblings that a WR might be on the block for O line help. That better not include Chris Matthews any more. He's a big body, and good on special teams coverage. Our kick coverage is good, so if we took both Lockette and Matthews out of that mix, that would be a mistake.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RicardoLockette/status/661243898837139456[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/660995230536077312[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/661236116670967808[/tweet]

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
As a Physical Therapist and Athletic Trainer here are my observations:

When the hit initially occurred I was worried instantly about an upper cervical injury. He fell into a slumped position with his head forward on the ground and both hands flexed at the wrists and in fists. Two possibilities right away: massive concussion and he was unconscious (which I think he was before he ever hit the ground), or upper cervical spine/spinal cord injury. You have ligaments at the top of the neck that stabilize the C1 and C2 vertebra. If these ligaments become disrupted it is possible for C2 to slide forward and compress/disrupt or even sever the spinal cord.

I was honestly very relieved when I saw him move his hands as it meant the spinal cord was intact. However it didn't take away the possibility of upper cervical ligament damage that we're now seeing reports about. If those stabilization ligaments did in fact become disrupted and need to be surgically repaired I'm 98 percent certain that his career as a football player is unfortunately over. There is no good neurosurgeon out there that would allow him to return to playing football after that injury (which by the way is very different from what Peyton Manning had a few years ago). It could be other ligaments lower in the neck that were affected, which would increase likelihood of returning to the field, but that wouldn't account for the positioning his hands were in on the ground.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/661234803199631360[/tweet]

UFA after this season as well.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
timmat":pk516r6r said:
Best wishes for Lockette and I hope they do what's right for his health.

As for the WR corps, there were some rumblings that a WR might be on the block for O line help. That better not include Chris Matthews any more. He's a big body, and good on special teams coverage. Our kick coverage is good, so if we took both Lockette and Matthews out of that mix, that would be a mistake.

Unless its Tyler Lockett, (who were not trading) who in the world would trade for any of our receivers? That makes no sense. None of them have any value.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1gsqxlou said:

When the hit initially occurred I was worried instantly about an upper cervical injury. He fell into a slumped position with his head forward on the ground and both hands flexed at the wrists and in fists. Two possibilities right away: massive concussion and he was unconscious (which I think he was before he ever hit the ground), or upper cervical spine/spinal cord injury. You have ligaments at the top of the neck that stabilize the C1 and C2 vertebra. If these ligaments become disrupted it is possible for C2 to slide forward and compress/disrupt or even sever the spinal cord.

I was honestly very relieved when I saw him move his hands as it meant the spinal cord was intact. However it didn't take away the possibility of upper cervical ligament damage that we're now seeing reports about. If those stabilization ligaments did in fact become disrupted and need to be surgically repaired I'm 98 percent certain that his career as a football player is unfortunately over. There is no good neurosurgeon out there that would allow him to return to playing football after that injury (which by the way is very different from what Peyton Manning had a few years ago). It could be other ligaments lower in the neck that were affected, which would increase likelihood of returning to the field, but that wouldn't account for the positioning his hands were in on the ground.
Thanks for this. Very informative! From your post it seems pretty clear the chances of him playing again are slim at best. Of course the most important thing is that the quality of the rest of his life is good and I pray that's the case.

Optimus25

Reaction score
ringless":2sfivchr said:
I really hope everything works out well for the guy.

That was one of the most unsettling injuries I have ever seen in football. When you are no longer in your body, and appear to be out for as long as he was you realize it's all for a game and entertainment. But that person has a life to live, and a family that is watching and unable to do anything to help. His life is likely forever changed. Mentally and physically that hit has and will have an impact in some way on his life everyday.

I shed a few tears because it was such a sad moment. I was even more upset that the replay was shown several times.

I hope that he can recover from this all. I hope he reconsiders playing football because of the seriousness of that specific injury and knowing what could happen moving forward if it happened again. I am so happy to hear that he has full function of his body parts. A lucky man in that sense

I felt similarly awful when Johnny knox got completely bent the wrong way against us years ago... He was an up and comer too. I hate the bears, but that day i felt kinda guilty for my lack of ever really thinking about these athletes as living breathing humans.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2mdsf4dr said:
I don't know, but that sure looked like that play was set up to take Ricardo out. One guy is coming out of nowhere, across the field aimed at Ricardo, the other guy is holding him up, and right before the "Torpedo" gets there, he pushes Ricardo in that direction then hauls ass out of the picture.

I could be wrong, but it sure looked that way.

God Bless you Ricardo Lockette, speedy recovery!

My first thought exactly. That looked like a thought out, practiced and executed plan to purposely set up Lockette for a blindside hit. Both Dallas players appeared to be in complete collaboration, one engaged while the other closes from the side. I've never seen a Gunner blocked like that before and there's probably a reason for it. It's dangerous for both players, but especially for the one who can't see it coming because he has another blocker in his face until one second before impact.

HawkerD

Reaction score
To be completely fair the hit Golden Tate put on Sean Lee was worse in that it was truly a blindside hit. No one really knows what Heath was thinking, I am sure he wanted to put a big hit on someone; isn't that what football players do? RL sort of lowered his head instinctively right before the hit which might have partially accounted for the injury. It is a violent sport and legal hits can result in injury and death. I am just glad RL can walk away from this one.

And BTW there's Bennett screaming his head off in the locker room after earlier launching all 270 lbs into Cassell's lower leg. WTF dude!

pmedic920

Reaction score
The info that Ibleedbleuandgreen posted is the reasons for my concern. I was being lazy by not stating my reasons.

Side note on this, I'm hearing rumors that Marshawn stayed behind in Dallas to be with Lokkette.
I'm looking for a link now, stand by.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1c6ribzb said:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and perspective. :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkerD":3apk0qkt said:
To be completely fair the hit Golden Tate put on Sean Lee was worse in that it was truly a blindside hit. No one really knows what Heath was thinking, I am sure he wanted to put a big hit on someone; isn't that what football players do? RL sort of lowered his head instinctively right before the hit which might have partially accounted for the injury. It is a violent sport and legal hits can result in injury and death. I am just glad RL can walk away from this one.

And BTW there's Bennett screaming his head off in the locker room after earlier launching all 270 lbs into Cassell's lower leg. WTF dude!
I disagree completely with your opinion on the Tate hit. He hit him square on, Lee was focused on Wilson. Look at the picture of that hit. You're also wrong about Bennett, he was going after a sack and his hit on Cassel wasn't even close to the severity of the multiple late hits on pass plays that Hardy had on Wilson that were somehow missed by the 3 blind mice wearing the stripes.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
wow scary prognosis then if this is the case as posted by the phys therapist above...sure hope he can resume his playing career. Its not like Lockette was making millions...NFL on Sirius radio said he is out for the season. From all accounts he seems to be a popular guy in the locker room.

lukerguy

Reaction score
The golden tate hit may no contact whatsoever to his head. This made direct impact from shoulder to head...

pmedic920

Reaction score
Cyrus12":rnq0dxs1 said:
wow scary prognosis then if this is the case as posted by the phys therapist above...sure hope he can resume his playing career. Its not like Lockette was making millions...NFL on Sirius radio said he is out for the season. From all accounts he seems to be a popular guy in the locker room.

Well, there is a lot of speculation being done but as stated above, those type of injuries can be serious.
Not so much as life threatening but certainly could be lifestyle threatening.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/661320605510205440[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/661321992944005120[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/661327919243890688[/tweet]

2_0_6

Reaction score
into his 5th hour of surgery.. Fingers crossed..

Gregg Bell ‏@gbellseattle · 8m8 minutes ago  Renton, WA
Video: #Seahawks coach Pete Carroll detailing Ricardo Lockette's neck surgery in Dallas, going on its 5th hour https://youtu.be/j04wi-vwhlQ

Jville

Reaction score
[youtube]j04wi-vwhlQ[/youtube][tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/661328440889511936[/tweet]