Let's Try This Again. Why Can't The Seahawks Make a Playoff Run?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Without JS killing the 2022 draft and Geno playing at a Top 5 level, Seattle's W-L record would be in the toilet and Pete would be on the chopping block as we speak.

JS, Waldron, and Geno deserve most of credit. While Pete gets credit for finally reverting the defense back to better fit their personel as I suggested over a month ago, and his DB whisperer abilities.

If Pete can't make a run in the playoffs in this dilapidated NFC, he is massively overrated. Likeable guy, but a flop in the playoffs.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
But first some quick thoughts on the Giants game.

The great Shane Waldron had another fantastic plan and is a guy I've never wavered on throughout his short tenure here when many others questioned his capability. However, I have some bad news in that he will be getting a lot of HCing offers upcoming, and I don't want to lose him. He is the best offensive coach the Seahawks have had since Mike Holmgren. He added a new wrinkle this week with Homer in the backfield while orbit motioning Dallas.

The Seahawks stayed aggressive throughout on offense, Geno threw it 25 times in the first half in a low scoring first half. This is huge. (Process vs. Results) The Giants were loading up to stop the run, and the Seahawks saw a lot of loaded boxes, but Seattle did the right thing taking what the defense gave them, which in this case called for throwing it more, as the Giants continued to dare them to do so. No reversion to Pete Ball was ever hinted at, and they had every excuse to revert to it given the Giants are a very one dimensional offense that struggled to move the ball throughout the game.

If Geno keeps doing what he's doing he's looking at a substantial payday, and the Seahawks should totally pay it. Having a career bust/backup come out of nowhere to play like a top 5 QB is like winning the lottery. The last guy to do something like this is Rich Gannon, and if you're even more bullish Kurt Warner. This is not normal, so don't go thinking the Seahawks can dump Geno and just find another one, easy-peasy. That is not reality. Geno is what is making this work. If he were playing at average starter level, the Seahawks would have one of the worst records in the NFC.

Re-sign Geno, find a way to keep Waldron by any means necessary, and spend all of those picks making the team stronger in the trenches on both offense and defense. It's another overhyped QB draft class, I haven't done my deep dive on it yet, as I don't really look at college prospects until DEC at the absolute earliest, usually starting in JAN. But from a glance, I'm not impressed with this upcoming QB class at all.

Shifting gears to the defense, they are running the old defense. I saw many times Nwosu at Leo with a 1T, 3T, 5T. Everyone 1-gapping, while sprinkling in some bear fronts at times. On the backend it was softzone Cover 3 and Cover 2. I opined after the ATL game to revert back to the old defense, due to it fitting their personnel better. They finally shifted after being embarrassed by the Saints, and the defense went from #32 in DVOA to #1 in DVOA in the last 3 games.

This is where Pete gets credit. He shelved the Hurtt defense, and went back to what had worked in the past. Didn't expect this much of a boost, but having the #32 defense through 5 games, I couldn't imagine it being worse and is why I was pushing for them to revert back about a month ago. They will run into trouble down the road with this defense due to how it can be exploited underneath, with receiving backs and TEs, but this is a substantial improvement over worst in the league the first 5 games and is sustainable because it fits their personnel much better.

The Giants this year are a classic example of results based vs. process based. They were 6-1 (results), however looking at their PFF and the film they were more like a 2-5 (process) team. Daboll and Wink have done an amazing job coaching up a team that has a lot of holes, and they've had some lucky breaks to boot. Lockett having the worst game of his life is the only reason the game was somewhat close.

A Quality Control Note: They need to ease up on the Ken Walker carries, no need to Rawls or Carson him. Not every back is Lynch and can be a 20-25 carry back week after week. They need to mix in Dallas more especially in short yardage and keep Walker fresh. 18 carries this week, just need to give a few of those to Dallas or Homer, and I think that is the sweet spot for him. 15 carries a game, keep him away from short yardarge, where he tends to dance, lose yards, take big hits, and has surrendered a safety.

So last week I made a thread, you probably saw it, "We Were All Wrong."

And I got major pushback for having a plausible expectation that the Seahawks should be able to make the NFCCG given the landscape of the conference. I see no reason not to stick with that. This is a weird year in the NFC, and the teams that were supposed to be contenders have fallen off a cliff. TB, GB, LAR, AZ, and even SF are not what they should be. If you notice 3 of those teams are in the Seahawks division ripe for the pluckin'. Pete will probably squander it with a bonehead decision or bad gameplan in the playoffs, but the expectation should be making the NFCCG given these unique circumstances.

They clearly have had the best draft class in 10 years via JS. The "young" excuse was always just that, an excuse. The vets on defense were the ones that needed to pick it up, and was the biggest reason why they were losing games earlier in the year, and since they've reverted back to the old defense they have done just that.

So let's try this again, why can't the Seahawks make a playoff run to the NFCCG?
I dont worry about losing Waldron because he is a second year O coordinator, he has much to learn from Carroll who by the way, is a reason, not the only reason that Waldron is having success. Grooming under Carroll is a great thing for him and he would be wise to stay for a couple of years especially if the Hawks get a SB or two it will make him more valuable just likr Holmgren in SF under Walsh. Waldron wants to be here.

Im not worried about losing Geno because Geno knows how great this orgainization is that has brought him along. Bottom line is money but the its been proven time and time again its better to stick with what made you successful in the first place. I know for a fact that Geno wants to stay in Seattle and i would bet that Seattle will pay him.

Rat

Reaction score
I said before the season that I thought we could make it to like week 13-14 before being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. I'm going to consider that a win.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Without JS killing the 2022 draft and Geno playing at a Top 5 level, Seattle's W-L record would be in the toilet and Pete would be on the chopping block as we speak.

JS, Waldron, and Geno deserve most of credit. While Pete gets credit for finally reverting the defense back to better fit their personel as I suggested over a month ago, and his DB whisperer abilities.

If Pete can't make a run in the playoffs in this dilapidated NFC, he is massively overrated. Likeable guy, but a flop in the playoffs.
Pete is the best QB coach the NFL has ever seen. Look how Wilson looks without him and how Geno Smith looks with him. Prove me wrong:D

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Is this a comedy act?

Pete's the head executive of the team and you've previously blamed him directly for all bad drafting decisions made in the past decade, while simultaneously crediting his "inside scoop" on college players early on for draft success.

Now, because your narrative would be blown to effing smithereens otherwise, suddenly "JS killed the 2022 draft" and the head coach of the team gets no credit for putting Geno in a position to play well, or even credit for simply retaining him while the rest of the world laughed at him? Pete suddenly has nothing to do with the draft or personnel decisions on his own team? JS just out there drafting, including DBs, without Pete's input? Get real.

Be consistent. Once. Just once.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score

Flop in the playoffs...with a SB win and how many years making the playoffs and wins per se. Oh my...where do I start?

As VP of Operations, I think that JS and Waldron report to Pete...is that correct? Is so, as bright as you are, you do understand that the higher up you go, the more your success is based on those you hire and the team under you that you lead that dictates your true success.

JS & Waldron Success = Pete Success.

Geno being the starter for the hawks is Pete's call...the kind that many high level leaders have to make that has risk associated with it.

Geno Success = Pete Success

"Pete gets credit for finally reverting the defense back to better fit their personel" (BTW, you had no influence over this!)

Defense Success = Pete Success

If Pete can't make a run in the playoffs in this dilapidated NFC, he is massively overrated.

Silly...Silly...Silly!!!! 99.9% of hawk fans and pundits now expect the hawks to compete. Much better than what was expected at the beginning of the season. Everthing moving foward, besides a complete collapse, is seen as a great result for this season. Add the draft picks and maturity of the 2022 draft hault and trade assets accumulated from Denver...only an extreme, over-zealous, think-they-are-smarter-than-everyone-else in the room contributors will try to rag on this season.

Season so Far = Pete Success

Not sure if you have led teams, departments or regions...but I think Jody appears to understand the importance of that perspective. Pete will remove those that do not make the team better...even if they are close to him.

I could go on and on about this...but I will stop here. This is now becoming comical. The pros in which the resentment against Pete is captured may make a College 100 level English prof happy, but does not mean the points made are qualified or qualntified. At this point, I see a deep insecurity about being wrong. I suggest that get worked on to make life much happier.

My $.02. And that is what it is worth (except it is worth more this time).

Back to the WS and 420.

Last edited:

Rainger

Reaction score

WHY did I unblock you? Man you post shit!! What did Pete do to you??? MY GOD. I loved Holmgren, Patera, Knox but Pete is by far the greatest coach in Hawks history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toffee

Reaction score
The top guy, the guy that has the ultimate accountabilities. When things go wrong, even if it has nothing directly to do with the top guy, the top guys takes the blame, it comes with the job description. When things go right, even if it has nothing directly to do with the top guy, the top guy gets the glory, it comes with the job description too. So its essential for the top guy to surround him or herself with the right people, cause whatever goes wrong, the top guy gets the blame.

It's fair to blame Pete when the defense wasn't working, or blame Pete when the QB execute the wrong play, even when Pete didn't call the play or had prior knowledge of what play was called. However, it's also fair for Pete to take credit when things are going right, even if he had little or limited input on the turn around of defense.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Is this a comedy act?

Pete's the head executive of the team and you've previously blamed him directly for all bad drafting decisions made in the past decade, while simultaneously crediting his "inside scoop" on college players early on for draft success.

Now, because your narrative would be blown to effing smithereens otherwise, suddenly "JS killed the 2022 draft" and the head coach of the team gets no credit for putting Geno in a position to play well, or even credit for simply retaining him while the rest of the world laughed at him? Pete suddenly has nothing to do with the draft or personnel decisions on his own team? JS just out there drafting, including DBs, without Pete's input? Get real.

Isnt it amazing ... hawks havent had a top 10 draft in i dont know how long. When they finally get one they just kill it and get 5 starters.

Why would anyone think a team can be successful picking in the bottom of the draft order for ten years or what ever it is.

Not sure what the OP is thinking just way off the mark from what i can see. At this point i question the intention.

camdawg

Reaction score

Fade, it's okay to be critical of Pete's flaws as maybe being the thing that kept us from multiple championships. Like keeping Bevell and Cable too long, or employing his sons; or friends from USC as his assistant coaches or support staff, when Paul and Jody were basically giving him a blank check to put together the best staff that money could buy.

Or allowing a lack of discipline, where players in their own way, whether that was Marshawn, Russ, Earl, Michael Bennett, or whomever else could escape accountability.

We all feel some frustration that we blew a chance from 2014 to 2017 to establish a dynasty. And Pete definitely made mistakes along the way.

But man, can you not see how he's still better than the majority of head coaches in this league? How he's not better than most at teaching young players and helping them develop?

It seems like you can't wait for us to fail. You're like an English soccer fan...talk up your team so you can bash them if they don't make the World Cup semis at minimum. Can you please have some fun this season?

We're doing what's not supposed to be possible...rebuild with rookies while challenging for a division title and playoff run. Even if we were to lose in the first round of the playoffs, can you not appreciate what having a season like that will do for the development of our rookie bookend OTs and rookie DBs? How that will help them get ready for future championship runs, versus what the young players on godforsaken franchises like Jacksonville experience?

Bootsy51

Reaction score
Hello 12s ....iam the newbie here
Iam shure we make IT to the Playoffs
Because our Guys are in the flow and they developed a strong
TEAMSPIRIT
Cant wait to See them next week at the Munich Game live !!!!
GoHawks from Germany

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Is this a comedy act?

He IS consistent. Very much so.
What never changes: everything good that happens for the Seahawks is in spite of Carroll, and everything bad that happens for the Seahawks is Carroll's fault. It doesn't matter how many times or how completely these things are disproved. Fade continues using them as the basic premises underlying his posts.
The mental and verbal gymnastics he uses to keep defending these losing positions and make himself out to be right is kind of impressive in its own way.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
We really need to beat the Cards today, and if we can go to Germany and come home with a win over the Bucs I think a Seahawk playoff run is definitely in the works. I see the Bucs game as a pivotal game.

Why is it that whenever Fade posts the room seems like it is choked in smoke? LOL

CallMeADawg

Reaction score

Seriously dude, give it up. Your post vomit is getting smellier each time. No one buys it. No one agrees with it.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
To say Pete does not get credit is odd. Pete is the best Coach Seattle has ever had. So far, he is looking like a genius on the Wilson trade. I am at a loss on what Fade is trying to prove rn besides Pete Slander.