Let's talk about the Defense

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
getnasty":1odn0yio said:
When you think back to 2013 that defense really benefited from a great running game chewing up clock. Don't get me wrong I don't think we're as good as we were then but part of that d's success was the offense holding the ball a lot longer. Also doesn't seem like were generating near as many TO as we used to. Pretty darn good though.

Average Time of Possession (excluding OT)

2012: 31:24
2013: 29:57
2014: 31:26
2015: 31:03
2016: 29:16

[urltargetblank]https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2016-12-17[/urltargetblank]

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":36odh2kc said:
getnasty":36odh2kc said:
When you think back to 2013 that defense really benefited from a great running game chewing up clock. Don't get me wrong I don't think we're as good as we were then but part of that d's success was the offense holding the ball a lot longer. Also doesn't seem like were generating near as many TO as we used to. Pretty darn good though.

Average Time of Possession (excluding OT)

2012: 31:24
2013: 29:57
2014: 31:26
2015: 31:03
2016: 29:16

[urltargetblank]https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2016-12-17[/urltargetblank]
That moment when you click that link and see the top and bottom teams, and check the past few years, and realize that ToP means nothing. ;)

RussB

Reaction score
Ive come to accept that the D isnt what it used to be a few years back. I kept waiting for them to look as dominant as they did in 2013 but it isnt gonna happen again. Dont get me wrong they are still elite and i still think they are the best in the league as a unit but they just arent what they once were.

Seems like with each season they give up more and more plays and become easier to drive against.

Polk738

Reaction score
You also have to remember who our opponents were that year in 2013 compared to this season. We played the AFC South and the NFC South-not exactly two powerhouse divisions. This year we've played 3 of the top 5 offenses (NOLA, Atlanta, and New England) along with the best rushing offense in the league "Buffalo" that'll put a strain on ANY defense in a season. I think the defense has done well this season considering what they've gone thru in regards to injuries, an they still have a chance to win a 5th scoring defense title.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Let's talk about the Offense and it's struggles to run the ball and score points that side of the ball is going to determine how far we advance in the playoffs. This defense isn't as good as it was but with some much needed rest down the stetch i'm sure they will do there part.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If the O could hold serve and convert some 3rd downs while using the clock the D will rise to the occasion. There have however been many accurate comments above in this thread. The D isn't as dominant as in the past and needes to raise it's game.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm not totally sure the D has recovered from those earlier games where they spent 40+ minutes on the field week after week. Hopefully, the O can put some drives together and give the D some confidence they are not out there alone.

In one way, the O kind of works against this, since we are always looking for the big play, quick strike scoring opportunities. We could use some 5-7 minute drives.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
The depth and relative lack of injuries makes 2013 one of the best defenses of all time, it's no use comparing this year's defense to that one.

Our depth isn't that great and with injuries to Kam, Bennett and now Earl there haven't been many games where the defense has been at it's best either. On the other hand this defense is still one of the best in the league and that is what matters, as long as the offense can muster up some consistency we're still one of the favorites for the SB.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Why is everyone down on our defense this year??? I think we have a chance for another historic defense. Yes we dropped an egg in the Green Bay game buy we have a good chance to win scoring tittle again. We are very tough to run against. Our defense is bend don't break as well. IMHO that is why we don't look as "dominant" as people think we are. Our 2013 defense was great but had the same bend don't break style. It is easy to look back and miss any blemishes we had that year.

AVL

Reaction score
They need to move some of their stars on down the road, too many big heads.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Defense is damn good still. Look how many red zone and goal line stands they have had. Not to mention a good shot at a 5th straight year w/the lowest points against.

classicaaron

Reaction score
I would say defense is at least top 3 in the league so defense is certainly not the problem. they are definitely good enough to win a championship. the offense on the other hand is lucky to be wild card material.