Let's be honest about Russell Wilson

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Russ is 5'11" Drew Bress is 6'0" do you really think that extra inch matters if it does I'm sure they could find some Cleats that would be an inch higher.

We will find out if it's Russ or the Offense the next couple of weeks if Jackson moves the ball just fine only then can we say it's Russ so weird the offense still looks the same under three different OC's. Here you go it's 3rd and 18 what play are they going to call let's say it's on our 30.

5thgen

Reaction score
Russ is slower with age and can't elude d lines like he did in early years. A lot of his game depends on broken plays and extended plays. Without this, he's just an overpaid game manager. There are at least 10 QBs I'd take over Wilson today.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2n3u9jwx said:
The key is we HAVE Wilson NOW.

So we better find a way to make that work.

Because you lose Wilson and you lose relevance.

If we lost Pete, we could get another coach and immediately have a chance to keep winning with a healthy Wilson.

If we lost Wilson? You will see what that looks like soon, but we become a bottom feeder.

Go to the top NFL teams in the league, up until #12 - they all have great to very good QBs (one exception Browns)

Now look at the bottom, the only teams with above-average QBs that are in the bottom half?

Atlanta and maybe Vegas, Cincy, or Tenn.

If you want to be above average in this league, you better have an above-average QB.

If you want to be a top 10 team, you absolutely have to have a great QB.

So getting rid of your great QB because you don't like his flaws? Dumb.

Find a way to make it work or face 5-10 years of losing football (since many teams look for good QBs for over 10 years).

Wilson isn't perfect. But if you are being 'honest' then be honest about our chances without him. They are VERY LOW.

Im not saying they should trade Wilson but it just depends on what the Hawks could potentially get for him and what QB they could land to replace him...If they clear his cap space and gain a bunch of draft picks that means they could completely rebuild this team with quality talent ...I'm unsure of the cap implications it might be more complicated than that but for the right deal it should not be taken off the table IMO. no one player is bigger than the team IMO.

LTH

scutterhawk

Reaction score
5thgen":2ktaaarj said:
Russ is slower with age and can't elude d lines like he did in early years. A lot of his game depends on broken plays and extended plays. Without this, he's just an overpaid game manager. There are at least 10 QBs I'd take over Wilson today.

Good for you, problem with your theory? is that his Quarterback stats were still outshining ALL OTHER Quarterbacks in the League through the first 4 games....Get him another RB that can help share the load, & pound the rock like Marshawn Lynch did, and he is STILL top 3 QB...NO Quarterback can do it all by himself, though Wilson does come as close as you'll ever get at doing it on his own.

John63

Reaction score
scutterhawk":12waexcn said:
5thgen":12waexcn said:

Good for you, problem with your theory? is that his Quarterback stats were still outshining ALL OTHER Quarterbacks in the League through the first 4 games....Get him another RB that can help share the load, & pound the rock like Marshawn Lynch did, and he is STILL top 3 QB...NO Quarterback can do it all by himself, though Wilson does come as close as you'll ever get at doing it on his own.

Nice reply to 5thgen. The funny part is everything he said is factually wrong and he knows it,

Tical21

Reaction score
The end comes for everyone eventually. Unfortunately, as Russ gets a little older and puts on a little weight and has to rely on pocket awareness more, it isn't going to be pretty. IMO we missed a huge opportunity to get three first rounders for him last year. Unfortunately, those days are over.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1zmikx52 said:
sdog1981":1zmikx52 said:
Seymour":1zmikx52 said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":1zmikx52 said:
Without the over the top love or hate, can we?

.......Realistically though I do see Russ has weaknesses. His inability to play a consistent short pass west coast kind of game comes down to just being too short to be an effective pocket passer. If you can't stay in the pocket, behind guys who are over 6 feet and see the field, how can you hit targets on short WCO schemes?.......

Please check out the career stats and game film of a guy named Drew Brees who is 1" taller than Russ and get back to us.

This is kind of the main point of the problem.

Russ can play like Drew Brees, why has he not embraced carving teams up with 7 to 11-yard completions?

Based on the noise coming from the Wilson camp, I have a feeling he is affected by the outside noise, he wants to play hero ball and throw 50 yard TD passes. He has become a boom or bust QB. Even three years ago at Carolina, they went for it on a 4th and 6, and instead of going for the first down, he threw a 40-yard pass to David Moore for a TD. It was amazing and it was fun but it was a boom or bust pass.

The reason he doesn't play (sustained) like Brees is crap O-line over the years has created the hero ball mentality because protection cannot be relied on IMO. He has been hammered so bad over the years he has gotten a bit of David Carr syndrome going on and it's Pete / John / Tom's fault.

Wilson’s style has been the same since college. Hero ball is not new. And it’s not a byproduct of a failed offensive line.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He literally lost weight and looks faster. But go ahead and continue to make stuff up that isn't accurate.
Yep, glad I rarely come on here any more. I could stop by every 3 weeks, and it would all be the same crap.

seabowl

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":cafd3m5j said:
He literally lost weight and looks faster. But go ahead and continue to make stuff up that isn't accurate.
Yep, glad I rarely come on here any more. I could stop by every 3 weeks, and it would all be the same crap.

I hear you but Russ does not have anywhere near the scrambling or escapability that he had 5 years ago. Not sure if it’s weight (he’s still heavier now vs then) or age but just can’t do what he did before. Better passer now though.

hawker84

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1p8fo78m said:
Every player has weaknesses.

Great coaches build their systems to maximize the strengths of their team & best players, while minimizing weaknesses.

It is pretty telling that nearly 10 years in, Pete is still trying to figure out some system to do that for Wilson.

I am betting the moment Wilson leaves, we are going to find him doing things nobody here is used to, because the other coach will build a system around what he does best instead of trying to force a framework and then occasionally letting Russ go outside of the framework when needed.

Betting at least half of these supposed 'weaknesses' of Wilson will magically vanish when he leaves here and everyone will be completely surprised.

I concur completely. Wilson would thrive in a system with 1) a real O line, 2) a scheme that moved the pocket around, 3) a real screen game to the backs and tight ends.

hawker84

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33c5sdwy said:
TwistedHusky":33c5sdwy said:
Every player has weaknesses.

Great coaches build their systems to maximize the strengths of their team & best players, while minimizing weaknesses.

It is pretty telling that nearly 10 years in, Pete is still trying to figure out some system to do that for Wilson.

I am betting the moment Wilson leaves, we are going to find him doing things nobody here is used to, because the other coach will build a system around what he does best instead of trying to force a framework and then occasionally letting Russ go outside of the framework when needed.

Betting at least half of these supposed 'weaknesses' of Wilson will magically vanish when he leaves here and everyone will be completely surprised.

Maybe Pete has done a good job of catering the offense to Russell's strengths.

In year 10 Russell's on pace to break most QB records, including wins in the first 10 years of a career and on his way to putting on a gold jacket. QBR, TD's, Passer ratings, completion ratings, and wins. On pace ahead of all other QB's.

So while I'm now firmly in the fire Pete camp, to say he hasn't gotten the most out of Russell is not a logical opinion.

Maybe, just maybe we're seeing the best of Russell. Who is a QB that needs a good defense and a strong run game to take advantage of his great play action, clutch creativity and deep ball passing game.

And until he goes elsewhere or another coaching regime comes in here and totally overhauls the offense, anyone who says different? Pure unadulterated speculation.

Sorry, have to respectfully disagree. You will never see his full potential until he is behind a real offensive line. Then you will see his HOF talent on full display.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, to do what he has done, behind a swiss cheese O Line at best? Impressive to say the least.
Not that many would actually ever give the guy his due. But whatever, tired old argument. HOF QB, and I love how many people still can't accept the guy. Be careful for what you wish for, we might be getting ready to see what it looks like..........
I hope Geno can win a couple games, but to crown him Joe Montana because of a couple good drives? Yeah, I'll go ahead and wait on that. And for the record, I desperately want to be wrong and will gladly look up some Crow recipes.
I'll believe it when I see it. And with THIS defense? Might not matter how well he plays. Sigh.........

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
Drew Brees only has 1 inch on Wilson. Was he a bad pocket passer that had to be schemed away from his weaknesses?

I don’t think it’s a problem with vision, at least any more so than a plethora of short quarterbacks have had to deal with. Wilson isn’t perfect, for sure. Imo one of his biggest weaknesses is how he never seems to move and manipulate the defense with his eyes and use of pump fakes. He also takes to scrambling before taking a dump off to a TE or RB…in fact dump offs I feel like are an extreme rarity nowadays??

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":11hfvrtg said:
Yep, to do what he has done, behind a swiss cheese O Line at best? Impressive to say the least.
Not that many would actually ever give the guy his due. But whatever, tired old argument. HOF QB, and I love how many people still can't accept the guy. Be careful for what you wish for, we might be getting ready to see what it looks like..........
I hope Geno can win a couple games, but to crown him Joe Montana because of a couple good drives? Yeah, I'll go ahead and wait on that. And for the record, I desperately want to be wrong and will gladly look up some Crow recipes.
I'll believe it when I see it. And with THIS defense? Might not matter how well he plays. Sigh.........

I love to watch RW play. He’s a very entertaining QB and a great model for a franchise. But what do you do when the team needs to rebuild. Do you want to pay 35 mil to a QB when the whole team needs an overhaul?

Does RW want to wait through a rebuild?

It’s pretty clear we have too much money going to what amounts to two Linebackers. But the QB salary is a problem for a team that needs to rebuild.

John63

Reaction score
Hawaii-hawk":37vxhbxm said:
Drew Brees only has 1 inch on Wilson. Was he a bad pocket passer that had to be schemed away from his weaknesses?

I don’t think it’s a problem with vision, at least any more so than a plethora of short quarterbacks have had to deal with. Wilson isn’t perfect, for sure. Imo one of his biggest weaknesses is how he never seems to move and manipulate the defense with his eyes and use of pump fakes. He also takes to scrambling before taking a dump off to a TE or RB…in fact dump offs I feel like are an extreme rarity nowadays??

and yet the facts and passing charts shows he does manipulate the defense he did it in the least games the announcers said it, and he does do pump fakes in fact some on here complained he did it, saying just throw it. and he has taken the dum off. The reality is people see what they want to see and don't see what they don't want to see.

The problem is you don't survive in this league at QB and do the thing she has done and not do what you say he is not doing. Now, do you think he should do it more okay? that's an opinion.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I think it's obvious at this point this is Wilson's offense . He is what he is this is the style of play were going to get at QB as long as Wilson is here. That's great when they have a great team around him we don't anymore. Last point Wilson should have kept his mouth shut about a trade it set a bad tone imo and hangs over this team to this day.

John63

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2gaoq8gd said:
I think it's obvious at this point this is Wilson's offense . He is what he is this is the style of play were going to get at QB as long as Wilson is here. That's great when they have a great team around him we don't anymore. Last point Wilson should have kept his mouth shut about a trade it set a bad tone imo and hangs over this team to this day.

ahh, you whole post is pure conjecture. FYI he never said he wanted to be traded, at all. Let me also remind you that Carson and Dunlap are all here or resigned because of Wilson. What hangs over this team is the league-worst defense, and an offense trying to adjust to a new system

Despite all that Wilson is currently even missing half a game

1st in passer rating
3rd in complt %
1st in YPA
9th in tds
1st in td/int ratio
oh and doing it while only getting the 28th most attempts

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
John63":ovy7pc5y said:
Northwest Seahawk":ovy7pc5y said:

ahh, you whole post is pure conjecture. FYI he never said he wanted to be traded, at all. Let me also remind you that Carson and Dunlap are all here or resigned because of Wilson. What hangs over this team is the league-worst defense, and an offense trying to adjust to a new system

1st in passer rating
3rd in complt %
1st in YPA
9th in tds
1st in td/int ratio

It 100 percent hangs over this team did you see the pre game interview last week or J Glayser's comments the national media will keep bringing this up all year . Don't try to retcon what happened this off season our GM flew out to meet reps from Chicago bro just stop denying reality. Doesn't mean a trade will happen but there was trade talks via Wilson last off season at Wilson's reps direction. Not saying Seattle should trade Wilson unless he wants one then get him the hell out of here.

John63

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3maez6pk said:
John63":3maez6pk said:
Northwest Seahawk":3maez6pk said:

1st in passer rating
3rd in complt %
1st in YPA
9th in tds
1st in td/int ratio

It 100 percent hangs over this team did you see the pre game interview last week or J Glayser's comments the national media will keep bringing this up all year . Don't try to retcon what happened this off season our GM flew out to meet reps from Chicago bro just stop denying reality. Doesn't mean a trade will happen but there was trade talks via Wilson last off season at Wilson's reps direction. Not saying Seattle should trade Wilson unless he wants one then get him the hell out of here.

Okay the Gm flew out but as JS said that was not planned, he had not talked with them prior and did not know they were coming to stop making crap up, Again conjecture just like all the media people.