JS what you think of him?

haroldseattle

Reaction score
I find myself wondering if JS has the answers. Like he got rid of over paid but under preforming players, but he was the one to sign them to those contracts, Also I got to wonder after two years of having 3 first round picks and 4 2nd round picks why do the Seahawks have a piss poor defense and maybe (probably) the worse Ol in the league? Do like the signing of Baker and Dotson at LB but why only for a year? Would it of been possible to sign them for longer without guaranteeing a significant mount of more guaranteed money? I think he could of but decided not to, maybe doesn't like their upside? IDK what to think but lean to to thinking JS mostly doesn't like committing, doesn't really feel confident in his choices Haven't decided yet but that is the way I'm leaning..

CactusJack

Reaction score
Do they have a plan? Yes, it's clear they do.

You have a brand-new coaching staff. Which means roster turnover. Macdonald & the new coaches want to bring in guys who fit their scheme. Players they believe in. So, that may look very different than Carroll & the previous staff.

John believes in building through the draft. Always has. Draft & develop. That's his philosophy. Ted Thompson & Ron Wolf (Packers) were his longtime mentors. So, he's not going to spend a ton of money on outside free agents. Only short-term deals. They will sign their own guys. But otherwise, they will look for bargains. Not much has changed on that front. They're doing exactly what they've always done in that regard for the most part.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
Hard to say what I think of JS. I'll have to judge from here on out as we never knew how much influence Pete had over the decisions. Seattle had a string of years with horrible drafting so its still a mystery.
I feel like this is Year #1 of JS. All previous years were JS-PC. He now has the conventional GM role for the first time and hired a coach that he's obviously very excited about. His moves so far appear to reflect a GM "medium/long-term lens" vs. a coach "I need to win this year" lens. I'm really optimistic about the future, but if this thing fails to take off over the new few years that'll be on JS.

Scout

Reaction score
This is going to be a make or break draft for JS.

The last two drafts were home runs in my book but it takes three drafts to turn a team around. This upcoming draft will be vital for JS and for people to be confident in him moving forward.

Also why are people riled up over 1 year free agent deals????

The Ravens, Rams and Bucs do this all the time so why shouldn't the Hawks copy this?

To take it further you give long term deals to your drafted homegrown players first and foremost if you want to make it known to drafted players that if you play well we will take care of you when the time comes.

The Hawks haven't drafted that well over the last 5 years where they could extend their home grown players to deals. Throwing long term deals to free agents is a last resort and often doesn't work.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Free agent signings rarely pan out so 1 year deals are appropriate for just filling gaps. Wasn't a fan over the compensation for Howell. Would rather we saved those picks to fill longterm positionsof need. I dont know if it's a rebuild retool or just trying to survive. I don't expect the record to be great this year but who knows. The draft will be interesting. I was glad to see he got rid of the dead weight on this team...Eskridge hopefully goes in camp.

Jac

Reaction score
This is going to be a make or break draft for JS.

The last two drafts were home runs in my book but it takes three drafts to turn a team around. This upcoming draft will be vital for JS and for people to be confident in him moving forward.

Also why are people riled up over 1 year free agent deals????

The Ravens, Rams and Bucs do this all the time so why shouldn't the Hawks copy this?

To take it further you give long term deals to your drafted homegrown players first and foremost if you want to make it known to drafted players that if you play well we will take care of you when the time comes.

The Hawks haven't drafted that well over the last 5 years where they could extend their home grown players to deals. Throwing long term deals to free agents is a last resort and often doesn't work.

I think the one-year free agent strategy provides flexibility and capital. You either re-sign the player if they work out, receive a comp pick because they worked out and you didn't want to pay, or you cut bait.

xray

Reaction score
I don't really feel that we know JS very well at all . He seemed to play second fiddle to PC for 14 years ; when as GM , he should of been in charge . Why wasn't he the one in charge as the GM ? Did Paul Allen tell him @ the beginning that he was GM in title only and PC runs the show ? Who knows what the deal was ? What stands out to me is his lack of fire . He seems too passive to be a NFL GM . We will soon see what he's got . imo

FraudCarroll

Reaction score
Can’t remember this many people freaking out over getting rid of mid players on bad contracts. It’s clear to me some people are turning on John because it makes Pete look better.

It’s a restart with a new staff, none of this is surprising or concerning. What’s funny is there’s less talent on the defense currently, but they will preform better because we don’t have a hack “defensive genius” coaching them now.

This draft won’t be spectacular either because we just don’t have that many picks for how many holes we have. I say just draft studs, starting with fautanu at 16. Then just go bpa the rest of the way.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Can’t remember this many people freaking out over getting rid of mid players on bad contracts. It’s clear to me some people are turning on John because it makes Pete look better.

It’s a restart with a new staff, none of this is surprising or concerning. What’s funny is there’s less talent on the defense currently, but they will preform better because we don’t have a hack “defensive genius” coaching them now.

This draft won’t be spectacular either because we just don’t have that many picks for how many holes we have. I say just draft studs, starting with fautanu at 16. Then just go bpa the rest of the way.
Nobody is complaining about JS‘s cuts. Nobody is interested in “making Pete look better” as almost all agree it was time (or way past time to me) for PC to move on.

Some like me want a solid rebuild and not the last few years of “borrow from tomorrow to win today and fail at that anyway“ approach. To me signing 1 year contracts is a win now approach. Building a team is a multi year endeavor. Losing or being forced to highly pay 1 year over performing rentals is short term thinking.

Building through the draft works but not as well when you trade away draft capital for backups or for 1 year rentals you have to overpay later so you don’t look like an idiot.

You want to do it right you correctly evaluate some young cheap talent and sign them to 2 year deals with a team option 3rd year. You sign 1 yr free agents to fill holes. You pick your QBOTF in the first round so you get that extra contract year and you give him reps. You gather some extra picks through player trades and moving to the bottom of the first round. You use most of those on both lines. You give more than lip service to competing for playing time.

I am not sure JS is able to rebuild a team.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Nobody is complaining about JS‘s cuts. Nobody is interested in “making Pete look better” as almost all agree it was time (or way past time to me) for PC to move on.

Some like me want a solid rebuild and not the last few years of “borrow from tomorrow to win today and fail at that anyway“ approach. To me signing 1 year contracts is a win now approach. Building a team is a multi year endeavor. Losing or being forced to highly pay 1 year over performing rentals is short term thinking.

Building through the draft works but not as well when you trade away draft capital for backups or for 1 year rentals you have to overpay later so you don’t look like an idiot.

You want to do it right you correctly evaluate some young cheap talent and sign them to 2 year deals with a team option 3rd year. You sign 1 yr free agents to fill holes. You pick your QBOTF in the first round so you get that extra contract year and you give him reps. You gather some extra picks through player trades and moving to the bottom of the first round. You use most of those on both lines. You give more than lip service to competing for playing time.

This.

LTH

Reaction score
Hard to say what I think of JS. I'll have to judge from here on out as we never knew how much influence Pete had over the decisions. Seattle had a string of years with horrible drafting so its still a mystery.
LOL... I say ditch his ASS!! LMAO!! Come on Pitt jump on my wagon bro...

LTH

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Free agent signings rarely pan out so 1 year deals are appropriate for just filling gaps. Wasn't a fan over the compensation for Howell. Would rather we saved those picks to fill longterm positionsof need. I dont know if it's a rebuild retool or just trying to survive. I don't expect the record to be great this year but who knows. The draft will be interesting. I was glad to see he got rid of the dead weight on this team...Eskridge hopefully goes in camp.
I don't really think they gave up a whole lot to get Howell who could be the long-term answer at QB. Jury is still out on him.

Seattle had the 78th pick and the 152nd pick which they exchanged for picks 102 and 179. They retain picks 16, 81 (Wilson trade), 118, 192 and 235. They could give up 16 and trade back in the 1st round and get another pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.

It's almost like they got Locke and Howell plus picks for Wilson who is now on NFL life support (dodged a big bullet there). They took a flyer on two young QB's that could have the potential to be starters. It's clear they answered that question with Locke now they need to do the same for Howell. It's a back door way of trying to find the QBotF and if it doesn't work you've used most of your current picks to fill other holes until you do. They didn't have enough draft capital to move up in the QB sweepstakes unless they gave up a lot of picks and they clearly weren't willing to do that with all the needs on the roster. This was the next best option and it buys them time.

FraudCarroll

Reaction score

I guess the better question is who did you want in FA on a long deal? Or any of the guys we have now. Which did you want for longer?

If this was a real rebuild, I would have wanted him to tear it down more man. You seem like you want to compete like JS and keep it going. It’s just JS probably wants his guys through the draft and doesn’t want to be stuck with these guys we signed. And yeah neither do I really. I think he did a really good job in signing stop gaps to fill the massive holes we had. It’s like duct tape. This year is duct tape. Probably because the talent isn’t there in FA for what we need, and yeah we have a new coach.

I don’t understand how you can not believe in JS when it’s his first year imo. Unless we want to guess with confidence what was Pete and what was John. Either way, the last 2 years have been mostly good from a team building perspective, so it stands for reason that you would keep that going and not question it.

Rat

Reaction score
Good enough at least. Drafts have been as hit-or-miss as they come. I'm not encouraged by the difficulty constructing a competent defense post-LOB, but he has been better than average at finding the hidden gems too.

When it comes down to it, I can't think of an obvious upgrade out there if we had to move on today. I'm content with him getting his shot.

Atradees

Reaction score
Trading down doesnt work. Picking players not rated doesnt work. Too fancy for his pants. Hire the 9ers personnel guy. Bring the Brinks truck. At least get him a razor, that hobo beard doesnt work. I mean get up in the morning and shave then go find us good to great players. Scotch isnt a skill. Remember that draft we got 3 lame running backs or that draft we got three busts in the secondary? Trying too hard to reinvent the wheel. This is a holdover; it will be better when he is gone.

Last edited: