Jordyn Brooks to Miami (3 years, $30m)

Jville

Reaction score
I enjoyed watching Jordyn Brooks play. I still marvel at the speed of his injury recovery. Remarkable.

Good to see him secure a big pay day.

Well done.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Seahawks film guys(who were lucky to have overall) have been saying Brooks is near top 5 in the league. I think the league has him lower based on what he got? I could be way off base though or misunderstanding their takes.
Maybe they do consider him a top 5 Will LB (I know Seahawks Overload is pretty high on him, though I don't know if I've heard specifically top 5), but I also don't think anyone expected him to pull a Queen level contract.

A guy who looks good on film will be able to command a certain amount of cash (10M per year is actually good cash for an ILB), but no team is going to pay a guy who looks good on film the same as a guy who looks good in film study, has numbers, and is coming from a team that was considered one of the best defensive teams in the NFL last year.

Brooks is coming off one of the worst defensive teams in the NFL. Him getting 10M is actually a good indication that the Dolphins, at least, like what they've seen on film.

hawks85

Reaction score
There is a plan…doesn’t sound like 56 is a part of it. Wish him the best in Miami, but I’ll trust the new regime on personnel decisions moving forward. There’s a reason they’re letting him move on, unless we hear they tried to match or offered comparable compensation.
Didn't one of the Ravens defensive assistants take the Dolphins DC job. I'm thinking Coach Mike didn't see Brooks fitting in his defensive scheme, IDK.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seahawks film guys(who were lucky to have overall) have been saying Brooks is near top 5 in the league. I think the league has him lower based on what he got? I could be way off base though or misunderstanding their takes.
I've seen some that are really high on him, I've also seen others such as TopBillin' that put him on blast -- PFF also doesn't seem to think very highly of him either.

Here he has been a mixed bag. He's always seemed to struggle in regards to shedding tackles and he's always seemed a step too slowly to diagnose plays. His coverage skills have also been a straight up liability. Brooks isn't a bad player, in fact he showed some improvement this season. I think that the injury actually forced him to rely more on diagnosing the play, rather than relying on his athleticism to get him out of trouble. It also could be that having an experienced ILB QBing the defense put him in a position to succeed as well.

Brooks was overrated by a lot of people here. I spent quite a bit of time keying in on him, wondering if I was missing something. Brooks isn't a bad LBer, but he certainly isn't as good as his stats say. He gets a lot of flack for his draft position, but at the end of the day he's a cog in a wheel that isn't worth resigning. He is a complete mismatch for the things that MacDonald likes to do on defense. He's a solid player that is replacement tier, there a lot of players like him out there in the NFL.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
His APY is about to be top-10. $10m/year is good enough for fifth highest paid ILB in the league... or at least was in 2023. Tied with D'Vondre Campbell.

Given that it's a new contract, which tend to be higher due to raising cap, I'd say adjusted this puts him as a top-15 valued ILB in the NFL. Probably top-10. Probably not top-5. Maybe like 8th, based on... well, somewhat educated guesses.

Very, very few ILBs get paid. A lot of the top-15 are on rookie contracts.

chris98251

Reaction score
He was slow to diagnose plays was a big complaint, my other issue is his injury history not sold that he is 100 percent back. Wagner back and his ability to read and place guys made all the difference in the world, Brooks was a support guy in his best days.

Ozzy

Reaction score
His APY is about to be top-10. $10m/year is good enough for fifth highest paid ILB in the league... or at least was in 2023. Tied with D'Vondre Campbell.

Given that it's a new contract, which tend to be higher due to raising cap, I'd say adjusted this puts him as a top-15 valued ILB in the NFL. Probably top-10. Probably not top-5. Maybe like 8th, based on... well, somewhat educated guesses.

Very, very few ILBs get paid. A lot of the top-15 are on rookie contracts.

Fair points. I trust Macdonald that letting him go was the right move based on what he wants to do because they could’ve afforded that. We will see if it turns out to be a mistake.

nanomoz

Reaction score
They'll sign a vet or two. They might be bridge types, but that makes sense. McDonald wants to establish toughness early, and that might mean a few older vets on short deals.

keasley45

Reaction score
Folks are assuming he was entirely welcomed to go and not that he wanted a change of scenery himself. He may not want to play in this scheme, and / or see himself in a better spot next to Chubb. He may have just wanted out of the PNW and prefer the sunshine and prospect of playing in a group where he'll be a part of what looks to be a formidable team, rather than again being expected to be a critical piece in a group (on D) that's been a dumpster fire since he's been here.

Brooks is without a doubt a good player who's production and performance has been dinged by the defense he played in and those who led it. He gets dinged for ONLY being a tackling machine when that's pretty much all that Bobby's been for the last 3 years.

As to Brooks v Queen. Even NFL talking heads were giving us the better end of that deal... until Smith and MM got to Baltimore. I watched Queen in Baltimore since he's been there and save for the last 22 games, he was definitely NOT the better of the two players. He was pretty much considered a JAG and nothing special, flashing every once in a while... until the Smith trade.

If he's healthy, I expect him to do very well in Miami.

Pretty bummed about him and Parkinson leaving.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like Brooks, but he's just an above average LB, nothing more. And I certainly would not have been happy giving him 10 a year. Just MY view on him. He seems to be slowly breaking down too.

Things are going as I thought. Not overdoing it early. Moves we like, moves we don't like, and a small crew of never happy/everything sucks.

Yep, free agency. This thing is gonna' take a couple years, but I'm stoked to see what the future holds. Losing guys you like is the part that sucks, but it's just the nature of the NFL now. Most guys don't seem to stick around long. And the way the cap is rising, I don't blame the players one bit for hitting FA. Go get the $ while you can. If someone is willing to overpay, more power to you.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I've seen some that are really high on him, I've also seen others such as TopBillin' that put him on blast -- PFF also doesn't seem to think very highly of him either.

Here he has been a mixed bag. He's always seemed to struggle in regards to shedding tackles and he's always seemed a step too slowly to diagnose plays. His coverage skills have also been a straight up liability. Brooks isn't a bad player, in fact he showed some improvement this season. I think that the injury actually forced him to rely more on diagnosing the play, rather than relying on his athleticism to get him out of trouble. It also could be that having an experienced ILB QBing the defense put him in a position to succeed as well.

Brooks was overrated by a lot of people here. I spent quite a bit of time keying in on him, wondering if I was missing something. Brooks isn't a bad LBer, but he certainly isn't as good as his stats say. He gets a lot of flack for his draft position, but at the end of the day he's a cog in a wheel that isn't worth resigning. He is a complete mismatch for the things that MacDonald likes to do on defense. He's a solid player that is replacement tier, there a lot of players like him out there in the NFL.
Top Billin' is balls

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Maybe they do consider him a top 5 Will LB (I know Seahawks Overload is pretty high on him, though I don't know if I've heard specifically top 5), but I also don't think anyone expected him to pull a Queen level contract.

A guy who looks good on film will be able to command a certain amount of cash (10M per year is actually good cash for an ILB), but no team is going to pay a guy who looks good on film the same as a guy who looks good in film study, has numbers, and is coming from a team that was considered one of the best defensive teams in the NFL last year.

Brooks is coming off one of the worst defensive teams in the NFL. Him getting 10M is actually a good indication that the Dolphins, at least, like what they've seen on film.
How much film do you think Miami actually watched?

I think some teams just look at a list of FA’s and their needs and start signing players based on cap space.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Wut? Why!? God no.

I think Barton is a free agent anyway.

They have a plan. Could be Queen. Could be a number of guys.
Exactly.

they have a plan that doesn't involve Jordyn Brooks. McDonald and staff sat down and evaluated the roster and here's our answer. Personally, I'm glad they moved on . I think they can do a heck of a lot better than what they had or presently have.