Jon Ryan on 'defenseless' punters

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Stupid, stupid interpretation of the rule by Blandino.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
He could have blocked the guy without trying to kill him. If Tate's hit on Lee last year is worthy of a fine then this is worthy of a fine at least double the amount.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":uru1d6ns said:
He could have blocked the guy without trying to kill him. If Tate's hit on Lee last year is worthy of a fine then this is worthy of a fine at least double the amount.

I know right? Just give the guy a hug, jerk.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2mb8j45d said:
Zebulon Dak":2mb8j45d said:

I know right? Just give the guy a hug, jerk.

:lol:

lsheldon

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3nniyp7s said:

That seems to happen a lot to Sean Lee..

Leepwned medium

Leeboom

ManBunts

Reaction score
dunceface":1r8tzqcn said:
Jon Ryan would be a better LB than Lee

Lee is one of the best LBs in the league. Thus the reason people try to take him out of the plays constantly. Your comment is pointless

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
ManBunts":2ndzq821 said:
dunceface":2ndzq821 said:
Jon Ryan would be a better LB than Lee

Lee is one of the best LBs in the league. Thus the reason people try to take him out of the plays constantly. Your comment is pointless

What's ironic is that the first poster is the one with Dunce in his name.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I wanna know how that wasn't a clean hit though? Dude lowered his shoulder into the Punter chest, he should've been fair game if he's trying to get in on a tackle, no?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Looked clean to me.

Head/helmet to the side... shoulder into his chest... clean hit (that looked like a penalty... like Kam's on VD).

homerun1970

Reaction score
Josh Brown if I remember right was actually a pretty good tackler for a kicker. Devin Hester didn't like him.

taz291819

Reaction score
Yeah, Josh Brown had a nice tackle or two during his time here.

And Jon Ryan is one of the bigger punter/kickers in the league, I think he can take a hit.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Throwdown":2sxxu1yh said:
I wanna know how that wasn't a clean hit though? Dude lowered his shoulder into the Punter chest, he should've been fair game if he's trying to get in on a tackle, no?

The "unnecessary roughness" tag is just too arbitrary. I think it's loose definition actually makes things tougher on the refs and God knows they struggle with clearly defined rules, as it is.

But based on other UR calls we've seen, some ridiculous, this one I definitely feel should have been called because the hit was clearly excessive (under the circumstances) and IMO, unnecessarily so. Payback's a bitch and the culprit here better have his head on a swivel the next time the 2 teams meet.

Laying out a punter, in such fashion, is hardly a manly act. He could have yelled at him and the guy would have folded. Instead, he got a good look at the punter, saw he was unaware and defenseless, then nailed him with everything he could muster. I thought it was cheap and was surprised a hockey game didn't break out immediately following.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Looking at that hit in slo mo, it was clearly illegal. The helmet doesnt' even start below the neck and move up; he just straight up hits him under the facemask and leads with his head. The guy doesn't even try to use a shoulder pad.

Those are precisely the hits that the NFL is trying to get rid of. Unfortunately, good blocks from Tate, and some hits from Kam get thrown in there.

themunn

Reaction score
I think the problem - and I thought the same when Ryan got laid out against the Colts (or was it Haushcka? I can't remember for sure) - is that the bigger guys just want to lay a big hit on punters because they're always smaller guys. It's just a bully mentality and it's not that cool.
Before anyone suggests I should feel the same way about Chancellor's hits - he's a guy trying to make a guy either fumble or fail to complete the catch (Vernon Davis). The biggest blocks from our offense in recent years that I can think of came from 5'8 Leon Washington against 6' Eric Berry and 5'10 Golden Tate against 6'2 Sean Lee. That's not a big guy throwing his muscle around, but a small guy doing his best to stop a bigger target - and in style.

253hawk

Reaction score
The NFL already said it was blatantly illegal and fined him 25K. It's very easy to block a guy with your arms and body without leaving your feet or leading with your helmet and still 'light him up.'

O7cGf9L