John63 / DeanDC getting shut down

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He's had two chances to rebuild. No one gets this much runway. His defenses keep getting worse, despite incredible investment there. One playoff win in 7 years. It's time to move on.
Andy Reid got this much runway in Philly. Philly was eventually successful without him, but fair to wonder if he wouldn't have turned it on in Philadelphia with the right mix of happenings.

I get your point, though. It's rational. There are too many shortcomings to explain them all way without seriously questioning leadership. Personally, I think that if Pete is still good enough to coach essentially any team he gets to .500+, he's good enough for another run with the right set of circumstances. Those circumstances need to involve drastic action this offseason to abate the stale slide. If we go out, do it with pizzazz. If this malaise continues, then it's time.

I'm good to go 'round again. But I'm cutting bait if it just ends up Steelers-esque. I understand many think that's insane, and that's aight with me.

The moment Russell got traded, I think I set my internal expectations to 3 years to build a new hope. I see.. sparks, here and there. There are ingredients to work with. Spoon, Riq, a suddenly decent DL, young dudes on offense, a league personality with an unprecedented physical profile (DK).. man. I get it. It's sucked recently watching them. But they just need a catalyst to get all of this stuff reacting together in an explosive way. I'm not ready to say that's HC change yet.

Last edited:

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I thought it was fascinating the Broncos board mods shut down the thread when John63 attempted to aggrandize himself and subtly insulted anyone who doesn't immediately recognize and worship his indisputable brilliance. Would our mod team here have locked the thread for such an offense?

Here on .NET, John's petty little insults and self-aggrandizing flew under my radar a bit, dismissed it as just John being John, plus I didn't really take him seriously after a while, kind of the board buffoon, comic relief who took himself so seriously and couldn't understand why most other people didn't. We could pretty much "choose to play" along with John's games, or not.

I'm perfectly good with the "lighter" moderation here, plus there's always the "ignore" button, a great self-serve moderation feature. I think I've used it about 3 times in the 10 years here, and only have "one" active ignore at this time. I'd guess that "heavier" proactive moderation would add more workload to the mods, and anyway, there's the "Report" button.

I'm probably breaking some rule by discussing moderation practices here, so I'll stop there. It was interesting to see the Broncos board approach to this type of issue. Absolutely entertaining to see John63 get shut down. It's probably harder for Broncos fans to have a sense of humor to tolerate John63 after last year's 5-12 season.
Well said.

knownone

Reaction score
??????

You must be talking to the russ groupies because as far as I know, they're the only sort that actually think we'd be better off with ol' 3 and out back at the helm.

Most fans I've talked to, are looking ahead to the draft to get Geno's replacement, including myself.

Where I differ from most in that respect, is that I think JS can find his guy in the later rounds. Everyone is fixated on getting a QB in the 1st round.
No. Just your typical casual Seattle fan.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Andy Reid got this much runway in Philly. Philly was eventually successful without him, but fair to wonder if he wouldn't have turned it on in Philadelphia with the right mix of happenings.

I get your point, though. It's rational. There are too many shortcomings to explain them all way without seriously questioning leadership. Personally, I think that if Pete is still good enough to coach essentially any team he gets to .500+, he's good enough for another run with the right set of circumstances. Those circumstances need to involve drastic action this offseason to abate the stale slide. If we go out, do it with pizzazz. If this malaise continues, then it's time.

I'm good to go 'round again. But I'm cutting bait if it just ends up Steelers-esque. I understand many think that's insane, and that's aight with me.

The moment Russell got traded, I think I set my internal expectations to 3 years to build a new hope. I see.. sparks, here and there. There are ingredients to work with. Spoon, Riq, a suddenly decent DL, young dudes on offense, a league personality with an unprecedented physical profile.. man. I get it. It's sucked recently watching them. But they just need a catalyst to get all of this stuff reacting together in an explosive way. I'm not ready to say that's HC change yet.
Great post, Mael. I admire your sharpness and diplomatic nature.

I don't understand having hope that Pete can get us THERE again, buuuuut he is the only dude that's done it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

I don't understand having hope that Pete can get us THERE again, buuuuut he is the only dude that's done it.
I've been a dick more recently, honestly. Never notice it 'til after I've posted. Trying to organize my thoughts better. Just frustration. It's frustrating watching them lose, because damn it, I know it. I can feel it in my balls that something is there to harness.

Not the best choice of phrase. I just wanted to say "feel it in my balls." But for real, I can just... sense it. There's a core. A bunch of shiny, beautiful gears that just need to be lined up properly before we can get going someplace better.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

It's examples like Reid that I come back to. He got to point of hopelessness in Philly, but he was definitely still capable. I think Pete still has that, given that he can still coach pretty flawed teams to winning records. This current slide into... whatever doldrums they're in now, I gotta hope that it's an aberration. I'm fine with blowing it up if we get to the end of year 3 post-Russ and we're still existing within storm clouds and dashed hope.

He's gotta do something big here. Wipe the slate and round up one more crew. Get experience on the staff to hammer down some details on both sides of the ball. He's gotta do that all this offseason, or I'm going to be a pretty late addition to the new regime bandwagon.

Threedee

Reaction score
... Those circumstances need to involve drastic action this offseason to abate the stale slide. If we go out, do it with pizzazz. If this malaise continues, then it's time.
Andy Reid would get it done with Pizza Pizazz.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score

The moment Russell got traded, I think I set my internal expectations to 3 years to build a new hope. I see.. sparks, here and there. There are ingredients to work with. Spoon, Riq, a suddenly decent DL, young dudes on offense, a league personality with an unprecedented physical profile (DK).. man. I get it. It's sucked recently watching them. But they just need a catalyst to get all of this stuff reacting together in an explosive way. I'm not ready to say that's HC change yet.
Exactly where I am.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
It's examples like Reid that I come back to. He got to point of hopelessness in Philly, but he was definitely still capable. I think Pete still has that, given that he can still coach pretty flawed teams to winning records. This current slide into... whatever doldrums they're in now, I gotta hope that it's an aberration. I'm fine with blowing it up if we get to the end of year 3 post-Russ and we're still existing within storm clouds and dashed hope.

He's gotta do something big here. Wipe the slate and round up one more crew. Get experience on the staff to hammer down some details on both sides of the ball. He's gotta do that all this offseason, or I'm going to be a pretty late addition to the new regime bandwagon.
I think the big lesson Pete has to learn... and it's hard at his age when you want to find the bright side of everything and everyone- something he was already predisposed to doing all along...is to turn on the tyrant in himself. I look at a guy like Dick Vermiel who was known as one of the sweetest guys you could ever meet, but ran a relentless and demanding ship to the point that players mildly revolted at how hard he was on them in practice. He was beloved as a father figure by his players, and although he ultimately softened in his standard of excellence, still demanded his guys were on point and EXACT , in their assignments. He had a strong influence on his teams, but also sought out brilliant coordinators like Mike Martz in his old age to help him push his teams to greatness.

Pete is still too much in teacher / mentor / grower / motivator mode. He needs to add hard ass now during his last hoorah.

I genuinely think it was the softening of league rules on practice intensity that began to cut into the edge that PC teams need to truly excel. You can't go from 2 hand touch in practice to decapitation wrs the way cam did on Sunday. You can't sharpen steel with clay. I think the hard nosed attitude Pete cultivated with his style of coaching was neutered and he has yet to adapt by sharpening the xs and os of his approach to compensate for the dulled intensity on the emotional / physical side. That not at all to say that physical ball is dead or that defense no longer wins championships. But the slobber knocking style of old has been detuned. In Seattle, the intelligence needs to be turned up from a scheme perspective. And Pete and his coordinators need to ride the 53 hard to keep them on edge and on point.

Just my .02

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I thought it was fascinating the Broncos board mods shut down the thread when John63 attempted to aggrandize himself and subtly insulted anyone who doesn't immediately recognize and worship his indisputable brilliance. Would our mod team here have locked the thread for such an offense?

Here on .NET, John's petty little insults and self-aggrandizing flew under my radar a bit, dismissed it as just John being John, plus I didn't really take him seriously after a while, kind of the board buffoon, comic relief who took himself so seriously and couldn't understand why most other people didn't. We could pretty much "choose to play" along with John's games, or not.

I'm perfectly good with the "lighter" moderation here, plus there's always the "ignore" button, a great self-serve moderation feature. I think I've used it about 3 times in the 10 years here, and only have "one" active ignore at this time. I'd guess that "heavier" proactive moderation would add more workload to the mods, and anyway, there's the "Report" button.

I'm probably breaking some rule by discussing moderation practices here, so I'll stop there. It was interesting to see the Broncos board approach to this type of issue. Absolutely entertaining to see John63 get shut down. It's probably harder for Broncos fans to have a sense of humor to tolerate John63 after last year's 5-12 season.
I would imagine that if they're aware if his history from THIS board, they know what they're getting with him and that it isn't going to stop. So they have less reason to tolerate him.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I would imagine that if they're aware if his history from THIS board, they know what they're getting with him and that it isn't going to stop. So they have less reason to tolerate him.
The Broncos board has SPIES on this board??!! Heavens to Interpol! Nobody is safe now! ;-)

Good thing we don't play the Broncos for a while, Payton will probably have spies--er, scouts monitoring all the creative minds on this board for expert intel on how to beat the Hawks!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The Broncos board has SPIES on this board??!! Heavens to Interpol! Nobody is safe now! ;-)

Good thing we don't play the Broncos for a while, Payton will probably have spies--er, scouts monitoring all the creative minds on this board for expert intel on how to beat the Hawks!
Well I did say if.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Well I did say if.
My actual take (guess) is that John63 wore out his welcome on the Broncos board on his own merits, without any meaningful "interference" from anyone on this board. Just John being John. John has a hard time with people not bowing down to his 50 years of playing, coaching, and reffing experience, and failing to give him proper deference and respect for the guru he truly is. Maybe Denver fans have less of a sense of humor/less patience than Seattle fans, thinner Mile-High air or something?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Just posting to piss off the haters. Kidding. Kind of crazy to think he’s 2nd all time at this point in his career.
IMG 0872

strohmin

Reaction score
Russ trending up and the hawks down.
This board might explode if the broncs make a run at the bowl….
If the broncos actually win a superbowl with him as their qb, Id have no problem respecting him.

olyfan63

Reaction score
If the broncos actually win a superbowl with him as their qb, Id have no problem respecting him.
First ballot HOF if that actually happens. Even if it's in a Nick Foles injury replacement of the starter kind of situation.

Threedee

Reaction score

I had simply assumed that the Broncos used the same guys who scouted Christian Hackenberg out of college to determine that Wilson could be effective in Denver. But, that was last year, and, he seems to have bounced back a bit.