John63 / DeanDC getting shut down

Fanatics

Reaction score
It is fascinating to see the evolution of the Denver offense with Russ. Seems like they have come to realize that the only way he can play is to try and mimic the type of offense Pete had for Russ, which he hated.

✅ 50/50 balls
✅ Run to set up short 3rd's
✅ Don't design plays for over the middle
✅ No quick reads
✅ Get Russ to use his legs to extend plays
✅ Have Russ run instead of pass on crucial short plays
✅ Try to win by being clutch on final drives

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I think OP has a bit of a grudge with another poster.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pete's NFL coaching record is well under .500 without Russ. I want to say 12-15 games under .500. And it's a pretty good sample size.
65-68, actually, by my count. Not the best, but pretty alright. Contextually, the Jets went 3-13 and 1-15 after his lone season and were a sinking ship, but Pete wasn't Pete yet.

In New England, he did alright enough. Not amazing, but New England was another laughingstock at that time (with some recent success under Parcells) and he achieved more than they were generally used to. New England wasn't a stalwart organization at the time.

6-10 with the Jets in 1994. 28-23 with the Pats (1-2 postseason) in 1997-1999. 31-35 with the Seahawks (1-2 postseason). I'm including postseason games in the overall records.

The sample size shows him as a mildly successful head coach pre-USC with a playoff win in New England, and a mildly successful one here with a playoff win in year 1 and a 9-8 team post Russ trade.

I would love to know where that 15 game mark is coming from. As far as I can tell, it's from an outright erroneous Jordan Schultz tweet in 2021.

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
65-68, actually, by my count. Not the best, but pretty alright. Contextually, the Jets went 3-13 and 1-15 after his lone season and were a sinking ship, but Pete wasn't Pete yet.

In New England, he did alright enough. Not amazing, but New England was another laughingstock at that time (with some recent success under Parcells) and he achieved more than they were generally used to. New England wasn't a stalwart organization at the time.

6-10 with the Jets in 1994. 28-23 with the Pats (1-2 postseason) in 1997-1999. 31-35 with the Seahawks (1-2 postseason). I'm including postseason games in the overall records.

The sample size shows him as a mildly successful head coach pre-USC with a playoff win in New England, and a mildly successful one here with a playoff win in year 1 and a 9-8 team post Russ trade.

I would love to know where that 15 game mark is coming from. As far as I can tell, it's from an outright erroneous Jordan Schultz tweet in 2021.
My prior numbers are definitely wrong. I'm not sure where I got them.

I'm getting 62 wins and 63 losses in the regular season.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I thought it was fascinating the Broncos board mods shut down the thread when John63 attempted to aggrandize himself and subtly insulted anyone who doesn't immediately recognize and worship his indisputable brilliance. Would our mod team here have locked the thread for such an offense?

Here on .NET, John's petty little insults and self-aggrandizing flew under my radar a bit, dismissed it as just John being John, plus I didn't really take him seriously after a while, kind of the board buffoon, comic relief who took himself so seriously and couldn't understand why most other people didn't. We could pretty much "choose to play" along with John's games, or not.

I'm perfectly good with the "lighter" moderation here, plus there's always the "ignore" button, a great self-serve moderation feature. I think I've used it about 3 times in the 10 years here, and only have "one" active ignore at this time. I'd guess that "heavier" proactive moderation would add more workload to the mods, and anyway, there's the "Report" button.

I'm probably breaking some rule by discussing moderation practices here, so I'll stop there. It was interesting to see the Broncos board approach to this type of issue. Absolutely entertaining to see John63 get shut down. It's probably harder for Broncos fans to have a sense of humor to tolerate John63 after last year's 5-12 season.
Give me your hand... *slap* Now don't do it again! Or I'll slap harder next time!

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
I thought it was fascinating the Broncos board mods shut down the thread when John63 attempted to aggrandize himself and subtly insulted anyone who doesn't immediately recognize and worship his indisputable brilliance. Would our mod team here have locked the thread for such an offense?

Here on .NET, John's petty little insults and self-aggrandizing flew under my radar a bit, dismissed it as just John being John, plus I didn't really take him seriously after a while, kind of the board buffoon, comic relief who took himself so seriously and couldn't understand why most other people didn't. We could pretty much "choose to play" along with John's games, or not.

I'm perfectly good with the "lighter" moderation here, plus there's always the "ignore" button, a great self-serve moderation feature. I think I've used it about 3 times in the 10 years here, and only have "one" active ignore at this time. I'd guess that "heavier" proactive moderation would add more workload to the mods, and anyway, there's the "Report" button.

I'm probably breaking some rule by discussing moderation practices here, so I'll stop there. It was interesting to see the Broncos board approach to this type of issue. Absolutely entertaining to see John63 get shut down. It's probably harder for Broncos fans to have a sense of humor to tolerate John63 after last year's 5-12 season.

I think john63 burned bridges as soon as he crossed them in Denver. His one sided, blindly pro reviews of Wilson stood out immediately to fans and mods there who didn't have the history of good play in Denver as context for Me3. There was no pollution of reality by past performance AND the dude came with 'savior' level expectations. So his shtick soured quickly in the face of what fans there see game in and game out as far less than elite play.

What was mostly amusing here was almost immediately annoying there. He's the Brandon Browner of forum members in Denver land - ie, he's on a short leash and known 'offender '. He'll catch the ire of mods before others might.

toffee

Reaction score
Our good ole John63, from his "I have played, coached, a reffed , and watched football for over 50 years." to "Good bye", he must be the oldest unpaid intern in Me3, Inc., and he shall be forever loved on dot net.

Threedee

Reaction score
I skimmed through his offending post, and didn't pick up on why the mods got upset. So, my reaction was "why did they lock the thread?" It wasn't until the post was broken down here that I understood.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
Our good ole John63, from his "I have played, coached, a reffed , and watched football for over 50 years." to "Good bye", he must be the oldest unpaid intern in Me3, Inc., and he shall be forever loved on dot net.
He's still going over there. Any post that come close to placing blame at Russ 's feet, he's usually the first to respond.

Like this one:
Screenshot 20231206 212948 Chrome

His response:
Screenshot 20231206 213137 Chrome

And after a bunch of round and round posts blaming Payton and poor protection, this one:
Screenshot 20231206 212905 Chrome

It's a sweet distraction to have the Doncs fans having the EXACT same conversations around 'the QB' that we had here. And it's actually amusing to see ol' John63 still killing it. If only most mothers loved their children as much as John loves Russ...the world would be a more peaceful place.

Torc

Reaction score
Fair criticisms of Russ. It's hard to watch sometimes.

But . . . he also probably extended Pete's coaching career 8 years. Pete himself acknowledged he owed the length of his tenure to Russ.

Pete's NFL coaching record is well under .500 without Russ. I want to say 12-15 games under .500. And it's a pretty good sample size.
Pete Carroll has taken teams to the playoffs with QBs Drew Bledsoe, Matt Hasselbeck, Russell Wilson and Geno Smith.

The "Pete can't win without Russ" notion is a completely false narrative. Yes, Pete and John found a quality QB that fit their system and won with him. To win without Russ, he would have had to have found a different QB that fit his system. But then I guess we'd be sitting here talking about how Pete can't win without "Joe Schmoe" instead.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I am sure he has most people blocked over there like he did here. He still gives me Deniro The Fan vibes...if Stidham ever started over Russ I'd be concerned...

knownone

Reaction score
To be fair to Russ, that post is misrepresenting the PFF stat: Russ is not causing 75% of his sacks. His actual number is around 30% (which is still absurdly high). That's a hilarious interpretation, though.

One interesting element of the Russ conversation is comparing the average Denver fan's reaction to Wilson's performance with the John63-style Seattle fan (who may not be watching every game). I have a handful of Broncos fans in my life, and all of them think Russ is holding the offense back. Yet, I can't talk football in Seattle without someone telling me our team would be better off if Russ were still here, seemingly because he has a high QB rating.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
To be fair to Russ, that post is misrepresenting the PFF stat: Russ is not causing 75% of his sacks. His actual number is around 30% (which is still absurdly high). That's a hilarious interpretation, though.

One interesting element of the Russ conversation is comparing the average Denver fan's reaction to Wilson's performance with the John63-style Seattle fan (who may not be watching every game). I have a handful of Broncos fans in my life, and all of them think Russ is holding the offense back. Yet, I can't talk football in Seattle without someone telling me our team would be better off if Russ were still here, seemingly because he has a high QB rating.
??????

You must be talking to the russ groupies because as far as I know, they're the only sort that actually think we'd be better off with ol' 3 and out back at the helm.

Most fans I've talked to, are looking ahead to the draft to get Geno's replacement, including myself.

Where I differ from most in that respect, is that I think JS can find his guy in the later rounds. Everyone is fixated on getting a QB in the 1st round.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Pete Carroll has taken teams to the playoffs with QBs Drew Bledsoe, Matt Hasselbeck, Russell Wilson and Geno Smith.

The "Pete can't win without Russ" notion is a completely false narrative. Yes, Pete and John found a quality QB that fit their system and won with him. To win without Russ, he would have had to have found a different QB that fit his system. But then I guess we'd be sitting here talking about how Pete can't win without "Joe Schmoe" instead.
He's had two chances to rebuild. No one gets this much runway. His defenses keep getting worse, despite incredible investment there. One playoff win in 7 years. It's time to move on.