Jets signing Al Woods

keasley45

Reaction score
That hurts. Looks like they're counting on getting major contributions from Young, Cooper and Mone to fill the run stuffing role.

Mone is the biggest body of the 3, but his acl is worrying.

this cane down to another cap tragedy. I'm sure the FO would have loved to keep Woods, but with injury protections, they save zero on releasing Mone in favor of Woods or Ford. They'd essentially be releasing a player for no financial return, so it's a no-brainer to keep him.

This sucks because it reminds me of a few years ago when Reed split for FA because he felt slighted by the team. They'd anticipated being able to bring him back, but he bolted and left a gaping hole in their plans.

This go-round, you'd assume they're a bit better prepared as they knew that the absolute worse case scenario in signing Mone last June would be that if he was seriously injured, they'd have little flexibility to maneuver cap money to fill his spot. Worst case happened. And the answer was to roll with two low round rookies to fill the gap until Mone can return. But with a predicted 9 to 10 month recover period, Mone, at best, will be back by October. That's potentially half a seasons worth of trial by fire for Yound / Cooper, assuming they even make the team.

I dont see how they can afford to straight up sign a NT in FA given they're current 4 mil under the cap position, and that's before signing their draft picks.

Theres going to need to be some major restructuring of contracts happening in the weeks ahead (a given). I'd say maybe a trade as well? But they could have moved someone like Fant by now and avoided the exodus along the D Line . They obviously didnt want to move anyone and were hoping they could bring a few guys back. Now they'll have to if they want an experienced, healthy body to man the middle of the line.

bileever

Reaction score
DK is the obvious restructuring candidate. Convert his salary to bonus, spread it out over the remaining years on his deal. Diggs and Nwosu are other possible candidates. (Although I haven't looked at the numbers to see if those three actually make sense.)

Question: Cutting Shelby Harris left us with a $3.7 million dead cap hit. If we re-sign him at a lower amount, does the dead cap amount go away?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I really don't understand the fan and media loyalty to losing guys who were just a bunch of JAGs on one of the worst interior D-lines in Hawk's history.

Woods missed a bunch of games, wore down by the end of the season and can't be trusted at his age to be the anchor of the D-line. Thus why we went out and got younger and more production with the Reed and Jones signings.

Besides, plenty of zero tech dudes still out there if you want to sign another big body. Suh, Joseph, Hicks......or bring back Harris.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Lump me into the "don't care" group. Ford was bad last year, Woods is one more year over the hill and couldn't play enough, and those were two big factors as to why our interior run defense sucked. Give me motivated youngsters like Cam Young, Robert Cooper and Ifeanyi Maijeh instead any day.

If nothing sticks in training camp then veteran run stuffer is one of the easiest roles to go out and acquire. Cut downs will send 50+ of these guys out onto the market and if we sign them after week 1 then the vested veteran contracts don't become automatically guaranteed like they do if they play week 1.

keasley45

Reaction score
I really don't understand the fan and media loyalty to losing guys who were just a bunch of JAGs on one of the worst interior D-lines in Hawk's history.

Woods missed a bunch of games, wore down by the end of the season and can't be trusted at his age to be the anchor of the D-line. Thus why we went out and got younger and more production with the Reed and Jones signings.

Besides, plenty of zero tech dudes still out there if you want to sign another big body. Suh, Joseph, Hicks......or bring back Harris.
Cant speak for anyone else, but for me, its more a case of letting walk your best player at the position and one that your opponents acknowledged was someone they had to account for. Woods was injured last year and is getting up in age, but as an experienced rotational guy, he has excellent value. Is he irriplaceable? No. But anyone worth their salt is going to cost. Id wager we had a better chance in bringing Woods back than we do bringing in a younger, better talent. We just dont have the cash unless we get creative.

Suh is a headcase. Harris is undersized to play the spot and was injured himself.

As it stands, the position is dependent on Mone, who has a major knee surgery to come back from and two inexperienced unknowns. The other signings they made on the line are edge players, not space filling run stuffers.

Ford is a nice player but hes a gap shooting pass rushing inerior lineman. Not the gap filling body we are lacking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cant speak for anyone else, but for me, its more a case of letting walk your best player at the position and one that your opponents acknowledged was someone they had to account for. Woods was injured last year and is getting up in age, but as an experienced rotational guy, he has excellent value. Is he irriplaceable? No. But anyone worth their salt is going to cost. Id wager we had a better chance in bringing Woods back than we do bringing in a younger, better talent. We just dont have the cash unless we get creative.

Suh is a headcase. Harris is undersized to play the spot and was injured himself.

As it stands, the position is dependent on Mone, who has a major knee surgery to come back from and two inexperienced unknowns. The other signings they made on the line are edge players, not space filling run stuffers.

Ford is a nice player but hes a gap shooting pass rushing inerior lineman. Not the gap filling body we are lacking.

Woods is 36, has been a journeyman DT for what, 5 teams now? 6?

He was only the best interior D-lineman on our line last year because of how utterly bad the interior D-line was. He is not irreplaceable, thus why he was let go.

Yeah it would have been nice to get him back at a good vet minimum deal, but for 3M? Not only is that a lot for a team up against the cap, it's a lot for a 36 year old that missed four games and REALLY wore down towards the end of the season. Thus why our run defense turned to crap. He wasn't dependable to anchor the line anymore halfway through the season.

toffee

Reaction score

He was only the best interior D-lineman on our line last year because of how utterly bad the interior D-line was. He is not irreplaceable, thus why he was let go.

Yeah it would have been nice to get him back at a good vet minimum deal, but for 3M? Not only is that a lot for a team up against the cap, it's a lot for a 36 year old that missed four games and REALLY wore down towards the end of the season. Thus why our run defense turned to crap. He wasn't dependable to anchor the line anymore halfway through the season.
He was good after he took a covid year off.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

Nice to see a contrarian attitude to the general press coverage of "oh my god we needed them back so bad" -

I quite like the explanation of the run D tanking because he gassed. Although to be fair, this is NOT the first thread that I've seen you mention that in - you've been saying it for a bit.....

I've been saying for a bit that I still think there's a big FA of some kind in the brew - but I could be wrong. Nothing wrong with some young dudes fighting it out. Particularly if we go back to the 4-3 stuff..... which is up for cosmic debate ;)

Edit: and I was just thinking of the fact that: If you want to know if you're gonna be drafted? PC and JS: "We're gonna draft you". How to tell if you're not coming back after being released: "We absolutely want you back! Come home!". ;)

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
Meh. We let him go for a reason. Good luck Big Al.