Cortez Kennedy trade

seabowl

Reaction score
Now that the draft is over and having referred to the draft chart several times to see if Seattle got value with their trades, I went back to the 1990 draft to look at the Cortez Kennedy trade. Coincidentally, I was at that draft. Seattle had the third pick and traded that to New England for the 8th and 10th pick. The rumor at the draft was that Seattle also trying to get Jon Stephens from them, but that was not the case. As we know, the Seahawks took Cortez Kennedy and I was elated. With the 8th and 10th pick New England took two players that amounted to virtually nothing in the league (Chris Singleton & Ray Agnew). With this said, looking at the draft chart, Seattle obtained the 3rd pick which amounted to 2200 points and New England with the 8th and 10th pick totaled 2700 points. which means the extra 500 points NE obtained the 40th picking the draft.

In today’s world with all of the analysis done, I’m not sure if that trade would be made anymore and certainly not a trade up for all of that comp for a defensive tackle. Just thought it was interesting looking back at it.

One sidenote, I entered a contest at that draft and right before Tagliabue got up to the mic announcing the Cowboys selecting Emmitt Smith, he announced my name is winning Super Bowl tickets. I ended up going to the 1991 Super Bowl, which was the Giants versus the Bills and sat in the 11th row where Norwood missed wide right. In all my years, I think I went to somewhere around eight NFL drafts and one additional Super Bowl, which was XLVIII. Good memories.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Good memories indeed. Of all those, that first hike going by Peyton into the endzone must’ve blown your mind!
Well winning Superbowl tickets and having your name announced at the draft by the commissioner was crazy. With this said, yes, the safety to start the Super Bowl was ridiculous. That safety was 100% the 12th man disrupting the communication between Manning and the center. Probably the most fitting tribute to the Seahawk fans ever.

calinator

Reaction score
Good memories indeed. Of all those, that first hike going by Peyton into the endzone must’ve blown your mind!
My favorite memory of all-time is Malcolm Smith returning the pick six. At that moment I was like "holy s*** we are actually gonna do this!!!"

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
He just transposed the order in the sentence. He gets it right the following two lines.
Yes sorry for the mistake. They had the 8th and 10th and traded them for the 3rd.

Latest posts