Jason Myers

Should the Seahawks look for a replacement?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wheetie

Reaction score
That's just nuts, man. Carroll is the only coach to reach the pinnacle at both the college and the pro level. He came into the pros, cycled through a few schemes until settling on the vision, and made it the defensive meta in the NFL for YEARS.

These are not things that are done by individuals who are not bright.
"Defensive meta in the NFL for YEARS",... however that was YEARS ago. He was absolutely arrogant in his gameplanning approach by sticking to "the vision" and not being willing or able to carry out game specific plans these past several years. Washington's Bieniemy alluded to that fact when he stated, and not verbatim, that they knew exactly what Seattle would do, making it sound like the Seahawks just don't scheme specific. Is that arrogance, or laziness? Not sure which is worse. The fact that he himself stated that he had to have absolute control over everything also speaks to his arrogance and unwillingness to allow for those around him to be trusted to fulfill their roles to their greatest strengths.

bigcc

Reaction score
If he was getting cut it wouldve been before 2/16

He's back at least until camp.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
I can't find anything online about him being with us. I hope he wasn't because Aubrey looked incredible, and I'd hate to have missed out on that.

Ironically, the one year Myers actually had some competition was when we first signed him and he lost the job in camp/preseason to 40-year-old Janikowski. He then went on to have a Pro Bowl season with the Jets. I'm wondering if when he came back to Seattle the following year, he was like "OK, I'll sign, but this is MY job, alright?". Seems weird we've never even as much brought in a cheap UDFA kicker to push him, as many great ones as there have been in recent years.

I hate to be THAT guy, because this team would go 0-17 every season if they always listened to me, but I was calling for them to sign Cameron Dicker going into the 2022 season, and he has been just phenomenal for the Chargers.
I was going to make the exact points you made in ALL 3 of your paragraphs so thanks for doing the work!
Reuniting Dickson & Dicker made too much sense. I’m not even a Texas fan, but was familiar with both of them before we even drafted MD4.

Reactions: Rat

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
I think we should be all over Will Reichard in this upcoming draft, even if it takes like a fifth rounder or something to make it happen. I'm not sure there has ever been a kicker prospect with more big-game experience than what Reichard had over five seasons at Alabama. He was absolute nails.

Missouri's Harrison Mevis is another one I think will have a great NFL future. That 61-yarder he nailed as time expired to knock off Kansas State last year was the stuff of legends:

Look how much that cleared by. Are you kidding me?

I was watching that Mizzou game live when Mevis nailed that 61-yard GWFG. Incredible moment!

Reactions: Rat

Jville

Reaction score
Just sharing an update ......................

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Did Myers have the same offensive line we had all year? Just asking if that may have been a factor in his missing some shots???

olyfan63

Reaction score
OL plays next to zero role in kicking besides the long snapper
Agreed O-Line plays very small role, but he probably meant special teams FG unit, long-snapper and holder. The ST FG unit is probably going to vary quite a bit on who is blocking up front, so as long as there isn't a weak spot in the line who allows penetration and blocks, it's the long-snapper and holder who matter most.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Myers is overpaid, as someone pointed out, #4 in salary, #24 in performance. I never know what we're going to get from him on any given FG try. Misses the ones he should make, and makes ones I expect him to miss. Looks shaky on way too many of them. Misses the game-winner vs. the Rams.

Hawks can get that level of production for way less. I think his even year success will give way to all-years suckitude from here forward. Time to move on. Myers symbolizes the post-LOB Pete Carroll, too many players overpaid and underperforming. Prime Pete had tons of players overperforming their contracts.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
At least the Seahawks did not sign the Kicker who lasted half a game with the Bills. The one who made Max Zendajas look like Jan Stenrud.

bigcc

Reaction score
At least the Seahawks did not sign the Kicker who lasted half a game with the Bills. The one who made Max Zendajas look like Jan Stenrud.
Can't really blame the Bills on that one. Who saw that coming?
And at least the bills didn't use a 2nd round pick on a kicker

I will never forget people laughing at the bucs on draftday.

Kids here might not be old enough to remember how bad kickers used to be.... Oh only 9 years ago

Aguayo lasted all of one year, man made Martin gramatica look like Tony Gonzalez

Parallax

Reaction score
And at least the bills didn't use a 2nd round pick on a kicker

I will never forget people laughing at the bucs on draftday.

Kids here might not be old enough to remember how bad kickers used to be.... Oh only 9 years ago

Aguayo lasted all of one year, man made Martin gramatica look like Tony Gonzalez
If there's a position that's harder to project into the NFL than QB, it's kicker. It's such a specialty. So few scouts have a clue how to analyze one. Doesn't help that the sample size of their work product is so small. Nor that the most important quality that the great ones have can't really be measured, as it's been the ears. In that sense, very similar to QB.

bigcc

Reaction score
If there's a position that's harder to project into the NFL than QB, it's kicker. It's such a specialty. So few scouts have a clue how to analyze one. Doesn't help that the sample size of their work product is so small. Nor that the most important quality that the great ones have can't really be measured, as it's been the ears. In that sense, very similar to QB.
I don't think anyone, kickers included would disagree with that.

I'd rather overpay a kicker on contract than draft pick though, and it's not particularly close, but I think sometimes teams can get too cute and think they have the second coming of Je..... Tucker.

I celebrate to this day the 9ers taking moody

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Never cut even year Myers. Best kicker in the league. Odd year Myers on the other hand…
This right here.. He's been this way and it's weird.
He will look like a HOF kicker this season, I'd put $ on it .