Jalen Carter

sc85sis

Reaction score
Whatever “character “ issues you think Carter may have, it pales in comparison to McDowell’s criminal history.
Yes, though all of the known criminal behavior by McDowell happened after he was drafted and had the ATV accident. None of it would have factored into anyone’s decision whether or not to draft him.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
My biggest concern with Carter is how much effect on his demeanor will occur as a result of receiving the huge immediate life changing signing bonus that comes to a #5 draftee have on his DESIRE to put the necessary effort into becoming a better/dominant player for an extended length of time. So far it seems that hasn't been a list topper for him. An A. McDonald he aint. Yet.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
We’re the ones who are going to have to impart to Jalen that everyones done with him sacrificing personal performance over personal crises after we selected him as we would have had the racing never occurred and had he showed out at the pro day.

Which he didn’t.
It's not your job to "impart" anything to Jalen. Nor mine, nor the Seahawks. Jalen may or may not have learned anything from the devastating events, but your position (and the position of many others, apparently) is that he absolutely hasn't learned anything, and can't learn anything without intervention from the Seahawks by not drafting him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
My biggest concern with Carter is how much effect on his demeanor will occur as a result of receiving the huge immediate life changing signing bonus that comes to a #5 draftee have on his DESIRE to put the necessary effort into becoming a better/dominant player for an extended length of time. So far it seems that hasn't been a list topper for him. An A. McDonald he aint. Yet.

Remember some of these guys including Carter have already been getting their big NIL money.

So yeah, you concern is valid, but it's not as much of a factor as it used to be. Carter's already been reported to have earned upwards of 1.5M of NIL money.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I don't get this questioning of desire. Did you watch him play? There's nothing indicative of lack of desire in his play.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I don't get this questioning of desire. Did you watch him play? There's nothing indicative of lack of desire in his play.
Desire extends beyond the 60 minutes of the game. Is he doing conditioning drills and hitting the weights consistently to ensure he shows up on game day at his best? That seems to be the biggest question/limitation on his potential.

bileever

Reaction score
Desire extends beyond the 60 minutes of the game. Is he doing conditioning drills and hitting the weights consistently to ensure he shows up on game day at his best? That seems to be the biggest question/limitation on his potential.
Where exactly do you get that there are questions about his desire? Solely from his pro day? Or from Todd McShay? Are there any other real sources that point to actual evidence of his poor work ethic or lack of desire?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Where exactly do you get that there are questions about his desire? Solely from his pro day? Or from Todd McShay? Are there any other real sources that point to actual evidence of his poor work ethic or lack of desire?
I told somebody on the Bears forum that Carter didn’t get this great by sitting on the couch eating potato chips. Genetics alone won’t do it. He had to put in some work. That’s not to say that with good coaching and the right environment he can’t be even better.

If you don’t want him, the Lions, Bears, Eagles are waiting.

GemCity

Reaction score
Besides his pro day and combine, none that I’ve seen except the banter in forums and sportswriters opinions.

But…those are pretty big events. Then you factor in the speeding ticket prior to the accident….

I just hope that whoever we take at 5 actually pans out 🤓.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
But it is to not provide context. IE: Multiple sources have provide insight that coaches were intentionally running him into the ground and he was running drills with guys 60 pounds lighter than him like teammate Nolan Smith
I am taking that report with a grain of salt pro days are set up to make the player look as good as possible. Everybody knew Carter was out of shape I think it’s more excuse making. I could see a trade back is option #1. I am starting to feel with the #5 pick will be like voting for a politician ( the lesser of 2 evils vs the best)

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I find it interesting that NOBODY seems to be rejecting Carter based on his actual play on the actual field.
Georgia has put, what, 4-5 straight years of championship caliber teams, and Carter, is believed to be the best out of all the lineman that has come into the league during this span of time.

I think that says a whole lot about how talented Carter really is.

I think with Seattle that has been struggling, absolutely struggling, to find game changers, Carter is the pick to bring Seattle back.

It’s worth picking him up at pick 5, IMO.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Not on the Jalen Carter bandwagon at all. I find it hard to imagine that he'll be a force to be reckoned with for the next 10 to 12 years. It's like he's okay with being idle... or stuck in neutral. Where's the drive? What motivates him, if anything?

Pete is supposedly looking for new team leaders. I don't envision Carter being one at all. Hard pass for me.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Besides his pro day and combine, none that I’ve seen except the banter in forums and sportswriters opinions.

But…those are pretty big events. Then you factor in the speeding ticket prior to the accident….

I just hope that whoever we take at 5 actually pans out 🤓.
Carter was called out for his conditioning over a year ago by his head coach Kirby Smart. Can't say none, his idea of fixing his conditioning was windspints before the championship game.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Not on the Jalen Carter bandwagon at all. I find it hard to imagine that he'll be a force to be reckoned with for the next 10 to 12 years. It's like he's okay with being idle... or stuck in neutral. Where's the drive? What motivates him, if anything?
Have you watched him play?