Jalen Carter

HawksNation

Reaction score
Yes of course. I wasn't implying they needed to force it. The hit rate with top qb's is only in the 20's, but that's the same with most top pics. But if they see their guy there, I say get him. But if they aren't sold, then don't.
I bet they are sitting there just like us saying “wtf should we do?”

There is no magic formula for drafting.

I still hope they make the right call.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yes of course. I wasn't implying they needed to force it. The hit rate with top qb's is only in the 20's, but that's the same with most top pics. But if they see their guy there, I say get him. But if they aren't sold, then don't.
Oh, gotcha. Then I agree.

BASF

Reaction score
Not going to bother quoting anyone, but a couple of points.

You want him to suffer consequences? How about a couple of his friends are dead and he seems to be going through survivors remorse. Consequence enough for you?

How many people that have had people die in alcohol related crashes just go on with their drinking and having fun with alcohol related dangerous activities do you know? I have known people who both had people killed by drunk drivers and a couple of people that killed people while driving drunk. Each of them changed their lives completely because of it. Only one of them slid into the depression and started drinking more heavily. They sure as hell never drove drunk again though.

Carter has tremendous upside. He has massive potential. His motor isn't great. No one has claimed that it was. The funny thing about people pointing out the championship game is he only had a few snaps where he was not double teamed by four star recruits who will more than likely be starters in the NFL. That will wear you out when you going as hard as you can. Watch the tape and you will see he wasn't taking plays off. He was doing what he was coached to do, penetrate and break double teams to free up the other players to make plays.

One other point to close this out, there are people who are saying that some of our players will help him mature. I hate to bring this up, because I loved Jerome Brown, but Reggie White (the ordained minister) couldn't help him get past his immaturity and it cost Brown his life. I worry that Carter is too much like Brown, but I would still draft him. He is exactly what we need on this defense. Maybe the consequence of losing two of his friends and our family like organization can help him reach his full potential.

Last edited:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

You want him to suffer consequences? How about a couple of his friends are dead and he seems to be going through survivors remorse. Consequence enough for you?

How many people that have had people die in alcohol related crashes just go on with their drinking and having fun with alcohol related dangerous activities do you know? I have known people who both had people killed by drunk drivers and a couple of people that killed people while driving drunk. Each of them changed their lives completely because of it. Only one of them slid into the depression and started drinking more heavily. They sure as hell never drove drunk again though.

Carter has tremendous upside. He has massive potential. His motor isn't great. No one has claimed that it was. The funny thing about people pointing out the championship game is he only had a few snaps where he was not double teamed by four star recruits who will more than likely be starters in the NFL. That will wear you out when you going as hard as you can. Watch the tape and you will see he wasn't taking plays off. He was doing what he was coached to do penetrate and break double teams to free up the other players to make plays.

One other point to close this out, there are people who are saying that some of our players will help him mature. I hate to bring this up, because I loved Jerome Brown, but Reggie White (the ordained minister) couldn't help him get past his immaturity and it cost Brown his life. I worry that Carter is too much like Brown, but I would still draft him. He is exactly what we need on this defense. Maybe the consequence of losing two of his friends and our family like organization can help him reach his full potential.

We take Jalen at 5, we Are telling him with action that it wouldn’t have made a difference if He had declined to race a drunk staffer at the strip club to Waffle House. That we give two shits thst he showed up fat and gassed at the biggest professional test of his life. Nope none of that matters as he got drafted exactly where he would have been anyway.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
We take Jalen at 5, we Are telling him with action that it wouldn’t have made a difference if He had declined to race a drunk staffer at the strip club to Waffle House. That we give two shits thst he showed up fat and gassed at the biggest professional test of his life. Nope none of that matters as he got drafted exactly where he would have been anyway.
And?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

Carter has tremendous upside. He has massive potential. His motor isn't great. No one has claimed that it was. The funny thing about people pointing out the championship game is he only had a few snaps where he was not double teamed by four star recruits who will more than likely be starters in the NFL. That will wear you out when you going as hard as you can. Watch the tape and you will see he wasn't taking plays off. He was doing what he was coached to do, penetrate and break double teams to free up the other players to make plays.

This is exactly how I see Carter. If the Seahawks draft him, they will get him to Seattle ASAP and work his butt to get him ready for training camp. The Bears would do the same. Eberflus runs his HITS training camp like a a Marine Corps boot camp. If he’s not in top shape when he arrives, he will be by the end of camp.

Ozzy

Reaction score
My reservation with Carter isn't the driving incidient. It's all the other stuff. Not going to team meetings, being lazy, not a ton of production and multiple people saying he is immature. I think he's a good kid honestly but at 5 I want someone who loves football and I don't think he does.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Oh c'mon. The Seahawks need to send a clear message that he deserves to suffer more than just a couple of friends dying. It obviously is not enough.

Yeah it's pretty gross that people are piling on a kid who's lost friends.

People have no idea how much Jalen's suffered, or what he's going through mentally and emotionally.

He's a risk for sure, as is every draft pick. But damn are there some callous fans up in here throwing out assumptions with zero knowledge of what Carter's been through, or might still be going through.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
This is exactly how I see Carter. If the Seahawks draft him, they will get him to Seattle ASAP and work his butt to get him ready for training camp. The Bears would do the same. Eberflus runs his HITS training camp like a a Marine Corps boot camp. If he’s not in top shape when he arrives, he will be by the end of camp.
Except the new NFL rules say that we can't make him do anything between rookie camp and OTAs. We have to hope that he takes it upon himself to show up in shape and ready to play. That is the entire risk with him.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Except the new NFL rules say that we can't make him do anything between rookie camp and OTAs. We have to hope that he takes it upon himself to show up in shape and ready to play. That is the entire risk with him.
You can bet they got a commitment from him in that interview. One way or the other, they will whip him into shape by the time regular season starts. If they weren’t confident of that, they won’t draft him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Like they did with Malik McDowell?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty gross that people are piling on a kid who's lost friends.

People have no idea how much Jalen's suffered, or what he's going through mentally and emotionally.

He's a risk for sure, as is every draft pick. But damn are there some callous fans up in here throwing out assumptions with zero knowledge of what Carter's been through, or might still be going through.
Everybody has lost friends in life, I lost one of my best friends 3 weeks out of high school in a car accident. Nobody feels sorry for me, not should they.

It's my responsibility as a young adult to learn from it, and move on. Not to use it as a crutch and excuse for further bad behavour. One should never feel sorry for a law breaker, especially one that has gotten preferential treatment.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Everybody has lost friends in life, I lost one of my best friends 3 weeks out of high school in a car accident. Nobody feels sorry for me, not should they.

It's my responsibility as a young adult to learn from it, and move on. Not to use it as a crutch and excuse for further bad behavour. One should never feel sorry for a law breaker, especially one that has gotten preferential treatment.

So give him a chance to learn from it. Sounds like you've already made up your mind and he's not even in the league yet.

And I would feel sorry for you if I knew your situation and other people were piling on you in your early 20's without remorse. Like you're doing now.

Empathy is a powerful emotion, sad that not all of us possess it.

JerHawk81

Reaction score

Fair. But a young adult to perform well on a Pro Day, and to maintain your workout schedule/weight, and to be open to being shopped around the country, in the weeks following the tragedy, feels unfair.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Oh c'mon. The Seahawks need to send a clear message that he deserves to suffer more than just a couple of friends dying. It obviously is not enough.
Yep. He needs to suffer, going all the way down to 6.

Latest posts